sleep problems

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by rosella, Nov 13, 2002.

1. rosella

rosella New Member

It takes me between 2 to 6 hours to fall asleep, and then in the short time left, I feel like I am hovering in between sleepfulness and wakefulness. Does anyone else experience this?
  2. rosella

rosella New Member

It takes me between 2 to 6 hours to fall asleep, and then in the short time left, I feel like I am hovering in between sleepfulness and wakefulness. Does anyone else experience this?
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I lived like you just described for most of my life! But since I have been taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium and vitamin B-6), I sleep at least 7-8 hours a night now, if I wake up, I go right back to sleep.

You are not resting, no deep sleep. You need to sleep in order to heal.

I sure hope you fine what will help you soon. That is so miserable to live like that. I used to hate to go to bed, it was such a hassle for me to sleep.

Shalom, Shirl
  4. dove1

dove1 New Member

MAdwolf, thanks for your suggestions on low dose cortisol during the day. Once the cortisol is started, does one continue to take it forever or can it be taken in a time limited fashion? Have you also heard of any other natural alternatives to boost daytime cortisol? Any info you may know of or can direct me to would be most appreciated.
  5. Spoonerpaws

Spoonerpaws New Member

I just want to relay this info about hydrocortisone....
    I started taking it in the morning, and I was up all night!!!

I finally ended up in the ER from complete exhaustion.

Just wanted to tell everyone to be careful with meds. Read all the side effects. I kept asking my doctor if the hydrocortisone was keeping me up, and he said NO! It wasn't until I called the pharmacy that they said it most DEFINITELY could cause insomnia.

You have to be REALLY careful with this med. It may help fatigue, but there is a LARGE amount of potential harmful side effects
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Sleep deprivation seems to be one of the major factors in these disorders. Deep Sleep is an absolute neccessity in a well functioning body, and the ill results of deprivation have been chronicled. I have finally made some improvement in that area, and can see the positive benefits it has reaped. Please research various causes and treatments for this, and with your physicians help strive to improve your sleep. Wolf's post is as always thorough, and on the money!
    Not only is he a healer but a psychic as well, lol, as I was going to pick his brain, in a day or two about the adrenals, and cortisol, when I receive some test results.
    Karen
  7. Val

Val New Member

just what you mean. I have had exactly the same scenario
    for four years now. Night times are not good. When I do sleep it is so light I wake at the slightest noise and I get more severe pain at night. Tried different beds, pillows etc but nothing helped yet. I am hoping the pain killer patches will help send me to sleep. Just started those in the hope I can reduce my oral meds.
    Wishing you a good nights sleep ...Val.
  8. tala

tala New Member

if i don't take my meds for sleep, I can stay up all night, and thats not out of choice. My mind races, can't concentrate, nor focus, its the pits. I've started taking multi vit, and magnesium, it's seemed to help also.
  9. younghope

younghope New Member

Hi, my doctor suggested panothenic acid to help me sleep and it is working. I have ADHD on top of FMS.I couln't even nap for 5 min. during the day without it ruining my whole night. I take 500mg when it's time for bed and watch tv and relax. Everytime I wake up I take another one(the secret being, no lights or it's disturbing) and I lay back down and go back to sleep. I have just started but it is working,Yeah!!!
    Good luck
  10. kadywill

kadywill New Member

thinking and planning during the night because, until recently, sleep was something I rarely experienced. I was extremely sleep deprived for years and it showed. I am resting much better with my current meds and supplements and I can work better throughout the day. Napping during my days off has never been the issue. To my knowledge, I have not napped except when I was extremely sick with the flu or something in my adult life! I am just not a napper! However, when I have stayed up ALL night for several nights in a row I will crash for 18 hours or so without waking up. This is just the pattern I have. People can hardly believe me when I tell them that I can stay completely awake for 3 to 4 days at a time, but it has been witnessed by my husband and family for years; even with Ambien, Soma, Klonopin and the like. I am just a strange critter. Not to mention the awful restless leg syndrome....Plus, no matter what, it takes me at least 3 hours to get sleepy after taking two Soma and Vicodin. The meds just don't matter. I took large doses of Atarax for chronic angioedema every night for 30 years and I still couldn't sleep. The worst sound in the world to me is the sound of my husband sleeping soundly the minute his head hits the pillow. I wake him up sometimes just because I'm jealous!!!!! He likes it though, because he uses it to his advantage.....if you catch my drift! lol
    Love,
    Kady

p.s. I took different dosages of Prednisone for about 27 years and this may have caused SOME of my sleep pattern disturbances. It wreaked havok with my entire system, as well as damaged my kidneys, gave me stretch marks, caused a cataract, weakened my bones and scarred my liver....plus, I was swollen, red-faced, bitchy and paranoid! I no longer can take steroids due to the psychosis I developed...I became extremely suicidal the last time I was on it. Hate that drug, myself, but I give it to a lot of my patients for different reasons. It CAN be a life-saver, but it has nearly destroyed mine.
    [This Message was Edited on 11/14/2002]
  11. Sandyz

Sandyz New Member

I also take Klonapin before I go to bed, that works well
    for me. The other thing I use alot is Benadryl over-the
    counter allergy pills. One or two of them will make you very sleepy. I had a PA tell me to use that to help sleep.
    She said she had taken one a nite to sleep for many years and it works and is safe. Just don`t take a prescription allergy medicine with it.
  12. selma

selma New Member

I take flexaril and ambien. Tittlebaum recommends Ambian.
    Many take Klonopin. Look up his protocol in the library.
    All the other meds also work for different people.
    Some can only take herbs. Valerian root and Lemon something or other. I have a copy of a sleep study that says always have the same bedtime. Have Cammamille Tea.
    Also melatonin. You only need about .06mgs. Don't mind my spelling. You NEED SLEEP as you know.

I hope that you have pleasant dreams.

Love, Selma
  13. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Mel....I was just curious, since you said you had been on zma for 2 yrs., and klonopin the same amount of time, If you have ever experimented and tried just one or the other alone for any length of time? I began taking zinc, magnesium, and b-6 which i think are in zma---to begin with, and was still having difficulty sleeping (3month duration). I now take a very small dose of klonopin at bedtime, and my sleep has improved. (Have continued with the zinc, magnesium ,and b-6).
    Karen
  14. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Time does fly, I have been taking the ZMA for 9 months now, I just checked my journal. I started in Feburary this year.
    (It took you six months to convince me!).

For what its worth, this is exactly what I take, how much and what time;

Xanax; (0.25 milligrams) at 6pm (calms me down)

ZMA; 2 capsules at 10pm

Melatonin; (3 milligrams) right before bed. I like to go to sleep about 12midnight, if I go to sleep earlier, then I wake up too early.

Let me say, I have tried half the meds on the market for most of my life trying to sleep. I worked for a pharmacist, he would even give me samples of new sleep meds to try, none worked for very long.

All worked for a short time, then I would have to take more and more, I was addicted to one that I can't remember the name of(it was a large red capsule, that I remember), I would take three or four at one time just to sleep for a few hours.

Like someone here just said, I could stay awake for three days and sometime more at one stretch. My family could not understand how I could do that. I keep going all day like everyone else, then I would crash for 10 hours or more. Then back to the staying up day and night.

Many times I would read an entire book in one night! I lived like this my whole life.

The Xanax would calm me down at night (never took them except in the evening), but they did not put me to sleep, the Melatonin helps to fall asleep, but I would wake up just about every hour.

But the ZMA, keeps me sleeping, deep normal sleep, but I still take the Xanax and the Melatonin too, I am afraid to stop any of the three. They seem to work together for me.

As an added benefit, my pain is less, and I am not as foggy in the morning either.

I would never want to get on that merry-go-round with the prescription drugs again for sleep!

All I can say, is try it, its not expensive and it can't hurt you.

Shalom, Shirl