Sleep Remeron and Weight Gain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia and ME & Chronic Fatigue Syndrome' started by PITATOO, Apr 29, 2013.

1. PITATOO

PITATOO Member

I have tried, ambien, lunesta, trazadone for sleep. Been on remeron for 2 months and have gain 18 lbs. My a little less active as I had a heart attack 3 months ago. But I am pretty sure it is the remeron but can't find anything else for sleep, also have tried through the years, melatonin, valerian root etc.

Any thoughts. I don't want to gain anymore weight, in fact I must lose due to my heart.

2. LadyCarol

LadyCarol Member

You're less active than you use to be so you need to eat fewer calories.

Remeron can increase carbohydrate/food cravings which if a persons gives way to can lead to weight increase.

Remeron can and does help with sleep and depression. As you're finding it helps with sleep then rather than changing medication it would better to focus on reducing your food intake. Smaller portion sizes and fewer high calorific foods will help stop the weight gain and then help reduce weight reduction, your heart condition will benefit as well.

One healthy eating tip to help weight loss is not to have food in the house that is unhealthy or likely to be used for snacking.
  3. jaminhealth

jaminhealth Well-Known Member

some heavy stuff a few yrs back and she was taking a sleep drug seq......can't think of the name of it, BUT, she came back home with about 60 extra lbs...it was horrific for her....

How about working on more natural sleep cures...we've talked about that here a lot and I have my "sleep cure" on the alternatives board....

I would NOT touch those sleep drugs....

On this subject and before I put my "sleep cure" together, and it took work and time for me...I found a product called Deep Sleep which you can find online and heath food stores...it worked good for me at the time but I wanted to keep my costs down so worked on my "own cure"....

Also, at the time before I got my thyroid "fixed" and Vit D levels optimal, I had a long nasty depression and a product called Happy Camper worked good for me...but now that I have my "systems" working good, I don't need these products......jam[This Message was Edited on 04/30/2013]
  4. mbofov

mbofov Member

Have you had your cortisol levels tested? If they are high at night, it can cause severe insomnia which almost nothing will touch. The Adrenal Stress Index Test is a saliva test which measures your cortisol at 4 times during the day/evening. Mine was high at night several years ago and I ended up taking Seriphos, phosphorylated serine, which helped a lot. For it to work effectively I had to take it in the morning. But before taking Seriphos, you need to find out if your cortisol levels are high or not, as it could cause your cortisol to go too low.

Other things that are helping me with sleep are 5-htp, melatonin and l-theanine. But if I had never got my high cortisol under control, these would not have been enough to help me sleep.

Make sure you're taking enough magnesium, which is crucial for sleep as well.

Mary