Sleep Sedation for dental work

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Dorymarie, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Has anyone elected to have 'Sleep Sedation' for their dental work? If so, did it help in the aftermath with Fibro pain? I normally get alot of fibro pain in the facial muscles and neck.
    Dorymarie
  2. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Dorymarie.. Yes, I have this done anytime he needs to do alot of work in my mouth. We now knock out as much as we can in those visits so that I will not remeber it.

I personally think it helps alot! You are ver sleep afterwards and need to sleep/rest the rest of the day (which is ofcourse good with the fibro)
    Hugs
    Kim
  3. Liz919

Liz919 New Member

This is a little OT but still related. Do they do sedation for just general cleanings? I've been avoided going to the dentist and thinking about going to a sedation one but I'd only switch if they did it for cleanings too. My current dentist isn't a "sedation dentist" but he'll sedate me for big things just because he can't do them otherwise. I'm asking because even just being in the dentists office gives me panic attacks. I'm so bad I make the technicians nervous and only one lady is willing to clean my teeth. I cry (quietly and unobtrusively) and go stiff as a board and she's the only one who realizes she jsut needs to get it the heck over with and it'll all be better for everyone. However for the rest of the day i'm an emotional wreck and usually for a day leading up to it as well. I'd like to figure out some way to do this easier. :)
  4. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

Hi Liz - If you are going to go to a "sedation" dentist then I would think he would do that with you. Mine gives me the option for anything I have done. I too am a nervous wreck even smelling the dentists office.

I believe it will be YOUR choice if you want it or not. Have you tried Nitrous Oxide? I heard that make you not really care about what they are doing. Now that I have the sedation dentist - I am getting alot of much needed work done. I have to save up for more of it, but I am not scared anymore. It works well.

I need a deep cleaning and he will do that while I am under, along with doing some fillings. Hope this helps a little.
    Hugs
    Kim
  5. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Kim,
    Wondering if you have a problem with shallow breathing from the sleep drugs they give you? Does your Fibro feel any worse days later after the dental work? I'm such a nervous wreck over any dental work and this will be a big job to be done around the top of mouth. Replacing old crowns with 'build ups', one filling and debriding (cleaning) the mouth.
    Hugs, Dorymarie
  6. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Liz, Yes, my dentist will do cleanings with sleep sedation......he will do mine the same day. Still not looking forward to all this and just before Thanksgiving.
    I can well relate to your anxiety with dentistry.
    I haven't gone to the dentist in years......can't avoid it any longer with problems brewing.
    Hugs, Dorymarie
  7. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

dorymarie - I actually was just plain tired from the drugs that day and layed around - did not do much. The next day I was fine and felt like that "rest" did me good.

Now - I was not in a blad flare when I had this done, but the normal hurting and muscle pain.

Do you have bad reactions to sedation? Everyone is different. My friend does this too and depending on how long she is sedated, she can actually go about her day, not too long after.

Hope this help.
    HUgs
    Kim
  8. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Kim,
    I don't have trouble with anesthesia, however, I have no idea how I will do with this type of sedation. I'm scared of the whole thing, but it has to be....can't avoid it.
    Did you require alot of followup help with the dentist due to Fibro and the actual dental work?
    Hope you are having a good day. Hugs, Dorymarie
  9. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Laura,
    No, don't know how I do with sedatives. I do take Ativan and ok with that.
    Just wish this whole thing was over with. :)
    Thanks for the reply. hugs, Dorymarie
  10. Kimba4318

Kimba4318 New Member

I have not needed any more follow up visits than anyone else. I am just in the process of getting alot of dental work done and this works great for me. BTW.. I am a big chicken...

The IV sedation is sort of a memory loss drug. You should not remember any of it... like we needed help with that. Seriously, it will be okay.. if I can do it, you can.

Hugs
    Kim
  11. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Lindy,
    Iam certainly relieved to hear you had a very good experience with the sleep sedation. Sounds like you had and currently having alot of dental work done....wow!
    I have no idea if I ever had Versed. All I know is, I had general anesthesia for tooth extraction and surgeries.
    I'm a little older than you......57. Was 45, when diagnosed with Fibro.
    I was never on a muscle relaxant......doctor never offered it to me either. I wonder why? He's a Rheumatologist.
    Was always given antidepressants. When the dental work finishes, I am to begin Lexapro. Was on Cymbalta a year ago....worked for awhile (then pain resurfaced), gained 15 pounds on it within three months and then I stopped it. Cymblata was the hardest withdrawal from any antidepressant I've taken. Works great for some people and others not.
    Going to have lunch now......take care. Hugs, Dorymarie

12. Dorymarie

Dorymarie New Member

Hi Kim,
    Memory Loss with the sedation should be easily accomplished with my Fibro Fog.
    It's you who is having all the dental work done. Got that confused in another posting with Lindy. LOL I'll blame that on Fibro Fog, too. LOL
    Did you have any Crowns replaced?
    Will be back online later. Hugs, Dorymarie
  13. Fredericka

Fredericka New Member

Since each one is so different. Find out the names of the medications, the strengths to be given, and research it for yourself.

I just had it done awhile back and used a combination of hacion and something else I can't remember right now. (Hate fibro fog.)

Anyway, just a heads up to check it out for yourself exactly how they do it!

Forewarned is forearmed or however that goes!

You are your own best advocate!!