sleep/serotonin /Can it be fixed where I wont need meds?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by carebelle, Aug 7, 2006.

1. carebelle

carebelle New Member

I feel like I go through days that I can not stay awake. My pain level is down right now but I cant stay awake. I nap all day and sleep all night .I'm sure that's good for my pain because sleep produces the serotonin that I have a lack of normally.
    Does it have to be that in order to have less pain I have to sleep all the time or take med's that make serotonin
    Has anyone ever gotten better where they produce enough serotonin and can get off of the medicines ?What do you do to fix that problem? Its great not hurting so bad but I can't spend my life sleeping all the time.
  2. sjogrens

sjogrens New Member

I just went through a period to where I wanted to sleep every second. I would catch myself dosing off sometimes even while driving. My doctors have been playing with the dose of certain medications for pain. I noticed that one of the pain meds for the breakthrough pain(oxycodone 5mg) was contributing to my sleepiness. Instead she raised the release pain med. She also started me on 200mg. provigil to help me stay awake. I didn't notice a difference for about 2 weeks and then it starting working great. I don't have to nap anymore. I take Welbutrin for the antidepresent. Oxycodone 20mg. release 3 times a day and 1 vicodin for night time breakthrough pain. My pain seems to increase during the night. I take Ambien for my sleep med. I'm sure my serotonin levels are on and off balance, but my meds. seem to be helping. I still feel a lot of pain though. I hope you figure out what is making you so tired and I wish you well. Thank you for responding my other post.
  3. caroleye

caroleye New Member

I've never heard of any. Most are benzos & they feed our GABA (light sleep).

Having the opposite problem, I'd love to be able to sleep.

But if you're taking sleep/anxiety/pain meds, that would keep me in some state of sleep, but not serotonin type.

Interesting reversal. I'd check your meds with Doc.

LIGHT**********carole

P.S. Let's "trade"......
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

It's unclear from your post why you're sleeping all the time, whether it's from pain meds or other meds, or no meds at all?

Anyways, a natural way to increase your serotonin is the amino acid 5-htp. It has none of the side effects of the SSRI drugs. You shouldn't take 5-htp with an SSRI because you might develop serotonin syndrome - too much serotonin - which can be dangerous.

5-htp helped me sleep at night without drugging me. It's also good for mood.

Mary