sleep, sleep, sleep.Thats all I do.I can't stay awake

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sleepe, Mar 20, 2007.

1. sleepe

sleepe New Member

I can't exercise,so my metabalism is dead. When I first got sick I slept for 2yrs.I know this sounds impossible but its true. Does anyone else with cfs/fm have this problem?
  2. mymichelina

mymichelina New Member

I just woke up. I have been sleeping for over 3 years. When I am not sleeping I am in so much pain I wish I was still sleeping. My metabolisim is shot, I have no musle tone, my skin just hangs on my body. I have aged 50 years in 3 yrs. So I have empathy for you and you are surely not alone.

Hugs
  3. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Yes, I feel like I could sleep or lay in bed all the time. The trick is I have a very guilty conscience and so I get up. Of course it takes me several hours in the morning to get moving and then I only wash a few dishes, make the bed and get myself cleaned up. Ohh, and Im trying real hard to do a stretch routine because my dr. yelled at me to do it even if I dont feel like it. Right now I could just go to bed and sleep. Think I will lay on the couch for the afternoon.

Its funny but I am the most comfortable in bed and because of that I try not to go there until a reasonable time in the evening.

My doctor also yelled at me for doing any kind of sleeping during the day. I told him even though I would take a couple hour nap that I still could sleep at night. He said its a big NO, NO. He said even though I can sleep at night after napping that day, thats its bad because at night I dont go into those sleep cycles like you are supposed to.

Anyway, (yawn) my advice is to develop an over-active guilty conscience like me LOL.

Hope you can stay awake for awhile! Im hoping I can too.
  4. DorothyVivian

DorothyVivian New Member

After 21 years of struggling with the muscle pain of FM and the devastating exhaustion of CFIDS...I have learned to sleep at night for anywhere from 8 to 12 hours and to take naps, as needed, throughout the day. (I use kitchen timers to regulate these naps from 15 minutes to an hour.) Along with the anti-anxiety action of the Lyrica medication for post-herpetic pain--which greatly reduces the muscle pain, I am able to live an almost "normal" life. (Lyrica also seems to help me sleep more deeply and soundly.)

I still react strongly to emotional stress, though. A reaction to a family member's cruel remarks can send me reeling for a week to 10 days! The meditation and relaxation techniques I've learned has helped me be a little more resilient, but I still feel as though I've been hit by a truck!

It's important for me to avoid people who I know are likely to make toxic comments to me--as much as possible. And, I also avoid noisy, contentious people as much as possible. In today's world, this often is simply not possible. However, I know I do much better when away from the clamour and drama.

And I've had to practice affirming to myself that I deserve to take the best care of myself as possible.

My metabolism is recovering, little by little.

But, I am accepting reality: I'm 73, so I'll not return to the zestful, enthusiatic life-style I had before I became seriously ill with these syndromes. (I've probably had relapses of 'mono' and muscle pain due to chronic herpetic infections most, if not all of my life.)

Sleepe, I hope you give yourself permission to sleep as much as you need. I wish you well.

Sleep well, dear friend!
    With love, Dorothy
    [This Message was Edited on 03/20/2007]
  5. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I am soooooooooooooo tired and want to sleep but i just never get ressted and cannot lie in bed very long. I took Ambien for a while and LOVED IT. Since I have been dx'd with sleep apnea now I am not supposed to take the Ambien :-( ... dern. I try to force myself to do something ... anything every day. Try using some light weights to exercise yuour arms and try some gentle stretching and try to build up your strength.
  6. mossrose101

mossrose101 New Member

Actually sometimes I do break down and take the nap. The reasoning of my rheumy was this....he said if you take a nap during the day for an hour or more, even though you can sleep at night, you are not going into the REM sleep (this is the restful sleep) because you took the nap. I really dont know if this is true but I assumed it was because I figured he would know.

I sleep anywhere from 10-12 hours a night and I could also take a nap everyday as well but because he said not to do it, I fight it every day. I do lay down and close my eyes for a few minutes but make sure I dont fall asleep most times.

I wonder if what he said really has any merit in it. Think I will do some research on it and find out because I would really like to be able to take that nap!

Oh and Dorothy...I take Lyrica as well and before taking it I woke up all night long...now I sleep really sound for 10-12 hours a night. I know its the Lyrica that made the difference.[This Message was Edited on 03/21/2007]
  7. amytx5

amytx5 New Member

It seems like the time change has wrecked me again. I wonder sometimes if its all in my head. I am so exhausted ..I barely get my kids out the door and I'm back in bed, for 2 to 3 more hours. The kids get home from school and by 8 pm ...I can barely keep my eyes open.
    You are SO not ALONE!!!

The muscle fatigue that I feel is overwhelming...I hurt everywhere...and no one understands .. Thats why I love to come here ..I feel so normal here.
    Amy~
  8. AllWXRider

AllWXRider New Member

Its getting better.

Dr. Carol Ryser treats CFS/FM patients with Tranfer Factors but reminds us that even if you erradicate a virus overnight, it still takes the body 6 months to rebuild all the damaged cells. The fatigue is the last symptom to leave.

Once I discovered that I had Lead in my body, getting it chelated out has helped tremendously. Lead & Mercury weaken the immune system. Cadmium interferes with the thyroid hormones.
  9. TerryS

TerryS Member

Oh, yeah!!! That was my first sign that something was wrong. Started sleeping 10 to 12 hours a day and would suddenly become "exhausted" for no reason and have to lie down. Then I started getting dizzy, A LOT. Then had a major "crash" which left me in the bed, hardly able to drag myself out, and sleeping 14 or more hours a day. That was last August.

It was then that the pain started in. And it was BAD, 24/7!!!

They've put me on Lyrica which seems to help the pain in general although I still have flareups.

The sleepiness...well, I tested positive for "chronic/reactivated" Epstein Barr, so I'm sure that contributed to the sleeping. But, also, they INSISTED I go for a sleep study. I'm a slender woman and had no reason to think (nor did my hubby) that I had sleep apnea. To my shock and surprise, turned out I did have mild sleep apnea.

So, they put me on a CPAP the first of January. I do have to say, it seems to have helped considerably with my sleepiness. I am now down to 9 to 10 hours a day, which is probably a reasonable amount for someone in my family (you know, my dad's family are just tired/sleepy kind of people!).

They've now also diagnosed me with Meniere's disease (inner ear disease) and have put me on medication for that just a couple of weeks ago. I think it is starting to help with my dizziness.

Now, I just have to resolve the "exhaustion/weak/no stamina" part of my illness...hmm...

Good luck with the sleeping issue. It sure is depressing to know you're sleeping your life away. Have you had a sleep study???

TerryS

I'm not sure if there was only one issue or not (because I did
  10. FM1987

FM1987 New Member

You may have a sleep disorder as well as cfs/fm. A sleep study would be a good idea. I have FM as well as idiopathic hypersomnia which means that I sleep a long time at night, but also have excessive daytime sleepiness. There are medications that can help you feel much better. Or you could have sleep apnea, either the obstruction type or another type called central sleep apnea. Check out sleep disorders on the Web, your might be surprised at what you find.
    Good Luck!