Sleep Studies and people who oversleep.

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gapsych, Sep 13, 2009.

1. gapsych

gapsych New Member

About five years ago I had a sleep study. I already knew I had rls. I had the test where they extend into the next day and have you lie down at certain times to see if you fall asleep and immediately go into REM sleep, dreaming, which may mean narcolepsy in the severe form.

I did not get enough REM and deep sleep. The next day, the "nap" room was right next to the hospitals storage facility, very loud, echoing hallway where I could hear people walking especially in high heels.

I went to bed at 10:00, way before my usual bedtime and they woke me up at six, obviously not when I get up and sometimes do not get to sleep until then.

Do they ever do a sleep study which follows your regular pattern of sleep and continues monitoring as you oversleep?

My question is, if a sleep study is done this way, wouldn't a sleep doctor get a more accurate picture this way?

This could also apply to people with insomnia.

I am thinking of asking for another sleep study since the last one was done before this DD.

[This Message was Edited on 09/14/2009]
  2. Debra49659

Debra49659 New Member

I thought the same thing when I had my sleep study. I do have sleep apnea, but I thought perhaps if they followed my "real" sleep schedule it would be much more revealing and accurate.

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

Maybe they do it for convience? It just does not make sense to me.

Years ago I had read of doing sleep studies at home. Has anyone heard about this?

Maybe the insurance companies won't pay for this.

4. AuntTammie

AuntTammie New Member

I agree that the studies don't fit at all with many of our sleep schedules.....unfortunately, for me, I think they would have to have me there for at least 5 weeks to get an accurate picture bc of the way my sleep seems to cycle....falling asleep later and later, sleeping very fitfully for days, then suddenly sleeping for up to 36 hrs straight....and I never fall asleep before 4 AM anymore, most times much later (5, 6, 7AM) - as it stands, if I went in for the standard overnight test, I would just be getting sleepy when the test was over
  5. tuba

tuba New Member

about 6 mos. ago. I went into the sleep center about 10:00 pm & slept until about 6:00 am. If you could not go to sleep, you had the option for a very mild sedative pill. Sorry, I don't remember the name of the sedative. I needed one, of course, as I couldn't go to sleep with all of those electrodes attached to me & not in my own bed. We were told we could bring our own pillows & jammies. That helped alot. We did have the option to watch the tv to help us go to sleep & could keep it on all night, if we wished. As part of the study, drs. would wake us up several times during the night. This was a 2 night study. Drs. found that I had sleep apnea as well as the problem of low oxygen levels during parts of my sleep. This concerned them more than the apnea & said the fluctuating oxygen levels could be hard on my heart.
    Other patients there were having some different kinds of sleep studies where they had come in during the daytime & were being woken up at certain intervals throughout the day & night. I cannot speak as to what their medical concerns were, but the technician told me they were not the same as mine. They were in a completely different wing of the sleep study center, but I doubt it was just for their particular sleep cycles. They too had to report & leave at specific times. My c-pap mask has helped me tremendously. Sweet dreams! Julie