Sleep Study - anyone??

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SpecialK82, Apr 19, 2009.

1. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Has any one had a sleep study, and if so, did you find out anything helpful?

My PCP is considering sending me to one. I already know I sleep very badly and don't get into a deep sleep. Is there something more that a sleep study can tell me?

I'm already taking sleep meds - I'm just wondering if the end result of a study will be sleep med treatment.

Is it worth it?

Thanks, Kristina
  2. annwinter

annwinter New Member

definitely get a sleep study. if you have sleep apnea you'll most likely be treated with a cpap machine, not with medication.

sleep medicine is very sophisticated and a sleep study will tell them everything about your sleep--if you are getting REM sleep, if you have central of obstructive sleep apnea, restless leg syndrome, enough oxygen, etc.

sleep is the first thing that dr. bell and others suggest us CFS folks take care of--getting optimal sleep.

is your problem insomnia? waking up a lot? sleeping a lot but not feeling rested? these are all different issues. this last one was my problem--i have sleep apnea.
  3. outofstep

outofstep Member

My dr. ordered one early on and it was kind of ridiculous b/c I had to take sleep meds in order to sleep for the study! The study didn't turn up anything for me, but I've heard that other people have found it useful for finding out what stage sleep they're not getting, other abnormalities, etc. It's definitely a very tedious test, but you may as well get it if the insurance covers it-at the very least you'll be able to rule things out.
  4. Rockismom

Rockismom New Member

I did this several days ago. The test really isn't that bad. They hook you up to wires and that is the worst part. NOT painful though. Having to sleep with them is a little annoying, but for some it isn't that bad.

We need to get a good night's sleep and if you need a cpap machine, I can tell you that having one of these is much better for you than putting medications in you system.

I would agree that if your insurance covers it...have it done!

Best of luck,
  5. FMsaddenedspirit

FMsaddenedspirit New Member

A sleep Study is important , I think.. one of the first steps in treating us. we realy need to be able to get a good nights sleep..
    I went through it and it was not that bad.. I'm glad I did it... I have sever sleep Apneia ( sorry my spelling )
    in one hour 60 min I stop breathing 38 times... so no wonder I nver get enough sleep.. also during the 6-7 hour study I only hit REM sleep for 11 min ....

Since using the Cpac I now sleep without all the snoring LOL . and I have statred to have dreams again.. this I missed ,

please do it.. specailly if you are having fatiuge isseus .. this must be done .

I am still very fatiuged but at least I don't gasp for air while I sleep anymore , and have dreams again. .. well worth it I say .

Best of luck to you ... if you need more info you can search here ,, there have been many post about sleep study ..
  6. stschn

stschn New Member

The first doctor said I had RLS I told him I didn't think I did because I'd read about it and didn't have any of the things they talked about. He was sure and was the Doctor so he gave me something that started with an M. I was wired all night and may have gotten 2 hours sleep. Did my own research here on the board Dr. Cheney talks about leg jerking with ME and how klonopin helps with that as well as sleep. I've been on it several weeks result better sleep and no leg jerking that my fellow has mentioned.
  7. SpecialK82

SpecialK82 New Member

Thanks so much to all who posted! Everyone seems to think it's a good idea, so I will definitely pursue it. I was thinking since I'm already on sleep meds, what's the point? But I could also have other issues going on as pointed out.

I would be very interested to know how much REM sleep I'm getting - feels like zero.

I seem to have a problem with my sleep meds - like they work (somewhat) for a little while and then they stop and I have to switch or take more - it's like I become immune - it's maddening!

So, it sounds like I will be able to take my sleep meds on the study. I certainly hope that's the case or I will lie there awake all night.

Caledonia - since we are in the same city, could you tell me which clinic you liked?

Thanks again for the input, I hope you all are having sweet dreams now!