Sleep study? Cost? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sorekitty, Sep 21, 2006.

1. sorekitty

sorekitty New Member

We have finally met our humungous health insurance deductable for the year. I am wondering if I should do a sleep study before the year ends? Are the results helpful?

I take restoril 30 mg at night and sleep 8 hours but feel exhausted upon waking and cannot really get going until around 10:30 or 11 am This is really terrible because my little boy wakes at 6 or 6:30 am. If I try to get up before 8:30 I feel sick.

I also need to know how much sleep studies cost and if they are usually covered by insurance.

Thanks!
  2. BraidieBunch

BraidieBunch New Member

Kitty,
    If you have already met your deductible, why not? It probably wouldn't cost you that much, and you can only gain sleep, right?
    I wish I had had one done when I had insurance...But hind sight is twenty-twenty right??
    Good luck and Best Dreams, Braidie
  3. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

There is a less expensive sleep study. It is done at home in your own bed. No one watches you sleep (a big bonus).
    They show you how to connect all the leads and sensors. The take home machine saves all the info collected during your sleep. You drop off the machine in the morning and they down load the results. It cost me just over $100 for the one night sleep study.

It was well worth it to me.

Thanks

Bruinz
  4. wendye

wendye Member

I wonder how I can find out how to do the home sleep study. My husbands snores and won't go get one done. This would be great for him and I would like to do one too. Does anybody know anything about this home sleep study?

Wendy
  5. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

I'm in Canada so I can't help you with cost but are they worth it? Absolutely! Especially if you are not getting restorative sleep as likely none of us are. There are a lot of different disorders that can be diagnosed from a sleep study. You could very well find something that can help your sleep and thus help you feel better.

Kathy
  6. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I had one done a few years back, and they found I was normal except for a few too many jerks in my limbs. Nothing that keeps me awake though. It was good to find that I did not have sleep apnea or anything major.

However, it was expensive even though I only paid 20% because my ins. paid 80%.

The take home machine sounds a lot better! It's hard to sleep in a strange bed, so I bet you'd get a more accurate study done in your own bed.
    Best of luck,
    Mini
  7. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

If you have sleep apnea and don't get a sleep study done you stand a far higher risk of developing conjestive heart failure or stroke. You can actually die in your sleep from the build up of carbon dioxide in your system which interferes with the amount of blood oxygen.

I had severe sleep apnea when I was tested and thought I was sleeping well, even though I did usually wake up once or twice a night. My blood oxygen went down as low as 78% the night I was being tested and they had to wake me up and put me on a C-Pap right away. My doctor told me that 74% can put you into cardiac arrest, normal blood oxygen is 94-98%.

Wearing a C-Pap was hard at first, it took me about a month to get used to it, but I have been wearing one everynight for 5 years now and could not sleep without it. Actually I can sleep without it, found that out the hard way on an unexpected night out of town on what was supposed to just be a day trip. The next day I was so exhausted and had such a bad headache I thought it would have been better to die in my sleep. Now I pack it up even if I think I'll be back home when my family wants to take a day trip.