Sleep Study - Had it last night! Here's what happened . .

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaltair, Oct 2, 2005.

1. jaltair

jaltair New Member

I had my sleep study last night, what an experience. I went to the center right after showering and shampooing (no lotions or cream rinses, etc.) as directed, squeaky clean. I also took all my regular nighttime medications, Neurontin, Ultracet, and Celexa (lowering dose to wean and was started on Cymbalta in the AM which is being increased as I decrease the Celexa). There was no change in any medication taking of any kind for the sleep study. I had completed paperwork prior to going, and on the paperwork, all my medications were listed.

Last night, my husband took me to the Sleep Study Center at a large hospital about 45 minutes from home at about 9:00 PM to check in. After completing paperwork (HIPAA, etc.) and answering some questions, I was taken back to my "bedroom." The bedroom was not bad, very homey, had a double bed, comfortable chair, nightstand, and a TV. It was not all like I expected. I had thought it would be more of a "sterile" type of set up, like in the hospital. After being taken to my room, I put my pajamas on (no nightgowns allowed), and visited with my husband until he left at about 9:45 when the tech came in to take me to the room where all the probes and sensors were placed. My husband was told to come back and pick me up at 6:00 A.M. It took the tech about 45 minutes to 1 hour to prep me and then to put all the leads/wires on. She had to prep the all of the spots where the leads were going to be placed.

First, the tech measured my head, heck, and back, and then marked the areas measured and measured more areas and marked those. She then began marking a lot of areas on my head, face, sides of back, and I can't remember where else. The areas marked were then scrubbed with alcohol, then with a solution that smelled like orange but felt like sandpaper (to take off dead skin cells - per tech), then again with alcohol. The leads were placed on all areas marked on the head, face, back and lower legs. The leads went under the pajamas. I was lead back to my bedroom where I was assisted into bed. The tech then put two "cummerbunds" on me, one around my breasts, and one around my waist, again connecting to leads. The technician was very helpful, explaining as she went, and was very open to questions. I was told that I could sleep on my back or sides, but that they wanted me to avoid sleeping on my stomach.

By the time she finished hooking me up to all the equipment and then checking the monitors to see if everything worked, I was really tired. Yesterday, I deliberately did not take naps, etc. so that I could sleep. This is very different for me; I sleep all the time if I'm not working.

It took me a bit longer to fall asleep than usual, as I wasn't at home with hubby in my own bed. However, I did take my pillow, and that really helped.

I believe that I woke up one actual time during the night, and that was when the tech came in (don't know what time) to check the lead on my left calf. Evidently, the monitor showed that my leg moved or something.

At 5:45, the tech came back in to wake me up, unhook me from the equipment at the bedside, and take me back to the room where the attached sensors were removed. I was really sleepy and tired, and wished that I could just crawl back into bed.

I asked the technician a few questions; however, she was reluctant to interpret anything medical (understandable). One thing that she did tell me was that I did not have apnea or hypopnea enough to warrant a CPAP during the night. I was told the night before that they might need to put one on if there were too many episodes in a certain period of time. To me, that was a good indication. The technician did tell me that I had only one brief episode of REM, and during the REM I did have apnea and hypopnea. She also told me that I did snore, very loudly (guess my husband is right there! LOL). I did sleep enough (6 hours), and the technician told me that I probably wouldn't have to go back for another test. Afterward, she qualified that statement by saying, "every time I tell someone that, they have to come back." Other than what I've written, I have no idea how the study went. I was told that it would take 3 - 4 weeks for the report to get to my doctor.

All in all, it wasn't an unpleasant experience, except perhaps for the "sandpapering" of the areas during the prep, and having a little difficulty falling to sleep. The "sandpaper" soap hurt a bit. I was totally exhausted this AM. My hubby was waiting for me and we went to early breakfast, then home and both of us crawled back into bed to make up for the early hours. I slept until noon!

Just wanted to let everyone know what went on and how it all went.

L, Jeannette

PS: Definition of hypopnea: Literally, underbreathing. Breathing that is shallower or slower than normal. Hypopnea is distinct from apnea in which there is no breathing.
  2. abbylee

abbylee New Member

Except that I woke up 3 or 4 times during the night. Also, I don't remember the sandpaper that you talked about.

Since I was from another state, the doctor and I looked at my sleep study results on the computer. He showed me when I was in REM, etc., but when we got to delta he said,"Well, look at that!!!" I had 20 minutes in delta but it was interrupted by alpha waves 38 times or so!!

With that he said that he'd seen enough and that he would get my prescription for Xyrem faxed to the pharmacy immediately.

I returned 3 months later and he had the written report to show to me. All in all it was a fascinating experience!!

That was almost 2 years ago, and I've been on Xyrem since.

abbylee
  3. jaltair

jaltair New Member

It's going to be hard to wait on the report to be done. I am so anxious to find out how it all really went from a doctor's standpoint. I have difficulty sleeping at night, and a lot of the time I sleep really lightly between awake and asleep state or 1 and 2. Sometimes I know consciously what's happening around me and incorporate that into my subconscious thoughts. Pretty strange.

I slept very "lightly" last night and found myself doing a lot of the between stuff. I want to study what happens in a sleep study more so that I'll understand what the report is saying or what the doctor tells me. I also thought that the whole thing was very interesting. I'm heading to bed in just a few minutes and I'm sure that my sleep tonight will be much better.

L, Jeannette
  4. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Jeanette,
    One thing I find strange is the need for pj's as I don't own any. Also you went a long time without having to use the bathroom. I'd be up about every 3 hours doing that. Do they not allow that? How does one use the bathroom hooked up to all that stuff? Just wondering...

You surely were a brave soul to go through all of that. I'd be hurting from the sandpaper soap by now as I have very sensitive skin.

Good luck on the outcome of the tests. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  5. jaltair

jaltair New Member

They ask you to wear pajamas for better coverage. While you sleep, they have a camera going and are watching. They just want to make sure everything is covered up, as the techs may be men watching women, etc. I had to go out and buy a pair of pajamas. Got them at Mervyn's on sale, not bad. They allowed either pajamas or jogging like suits as far as bed clothing.

I didn't drink anything after 7:00 P.M., that's how I was able to go all night without going to the bathroom. Normally, I'm up at least once around 2 to 3 AM to go to the restroom. If you have to get up to go, you have to ask the tech to come in and assist you. They have to undo all the leads from the monitors, and then you'd carry the leads with you to the restroom. That's why I chose to not have anything to drink after 7:00 P.M. It usually works. My mouth is soooo dry that I usually drink water until I go to bed.

Warm wishes, Jeannette
  6. abbylee

abbylee New Member

I had to go to the bathroom once during the night, so the technician unhooked me from the bedside machine and I carried my wires with me.

It wasn't too traumatic, as I went back to bed after and dropped back into unsleep (I thought it was sleep but according to the results it wasn't.)

abbylee
  7. kholmes

kholmes New Member

Hi, jaltair.
    I just had my sleep study last night. It was a very similar experience to yours, except I kept waking up every 45 minutes or so (even though I'm taking klonopin). One of the machines next to the bed kept making this loud noise, which I felt disturbed my sleep. I felt like I only slept very lightly and intermittently all night. I think my sleep problems are more adrenal related than breathing/apnea. I didn't have to do the CPAP thing at all. I felt the breath sensors in my nose and having to have an O2 sat on my finger all night were a little uncomfortable, but all of the wires were no problem.
    Good luck on your results.
    kholmes