Sleep study info

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by LouiseK, Apr 28, 2007.

1. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

I scheduled a sleep study. They told me to bring whatever I take for sleep and take it. This is good in that it will let me know what the meds may be doing to my sleep but it seems like a sleep study is supposed to tell you what is right or wrong with your own natural sleep . . .

Can anyone comment on this? I would love to hear about your own experiences with sleep studies before I talk to the doctor about this again.

Thank you and sleep tight.
  2. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

bumping . . .
  3. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

That's really interesting. Never heard anything like it. Who knows why they wanted to see your brain under such unusual circumstances.

I think you hit on something here -- sleep apnea. That is on the order and maybe that is all they are checking for. I hope not as I would like to find out a lot more than just that. Now that you brought this to my attention I will ask the md.

Thank you. Anyone else??
  4. LouiseK

LouiseK New Member

If you can, please let us know how and what afterwards.

Many thanks. What would we do without this board??
  5. revlcb

revlcb New Member

I had a sleep study last Thursday. I only take a sleeping med when I'm really tired and have to make sure I sleep well for the next day. Like you, I thought that if I took the sleep med that the study won't show my natural sleep patterns, so I didn't take the med.

When sleeping in a strange place I never sleep very well and probably should have taken the med because I didn't fall into a deep sleep until 6:00 AM, I just sort of drifted in and out. I usually sleep on my stomach/side and couldn't get comfortable with all the wires and such.

My back began to hurt so I layed flat on my back and fell asleep at 6:00 AM. The technician woke me at 8:00. Of course there weren't conclusive results until I layed on my back...sleep apnea was dx but I won't have all the information until I see the Dr. and go back for the follow up sleep study with the mask.

I would definately bring up this matter with your Dr. before you go. If for no other reason than getting an accurate test done. Good luck, and keep us posted.
  6. KimmiKat

KimmiKat New Member

but in Scotland not USA. The first one was the one already described above which you do at home, and it measures oxygen levels and how many times you stop breathing. That is the one they use for sleep apnoea.
    My dx was sleep apnoea and I was given a CPAP machine, which blows air down your throat as you sleep to keep your airways open. However, my sleep did not improve and I was still far too sleepy (desperate in fact) during the day. So the second study9over night in hospital) was done to see what was happening in my brain, and in particular REM sleep patterns and latent sleep times. They were looking for signs of narcolepsy in my case, but obviously they would check for whatever the patients symptoms indicated.
    I am currently being treated for narcolepsy, but so far the treatment is not having an affect.
    In my case, they asked me to cease my sertraline (zoloft ) meds for a few days before the study as they said that they can stimulate you and this will not give a fair appraisal of how you sleep naturally.

Hope this helps a bit.
    KimmiKat
  7. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

I had my first sleep study (the doc was a quack) 3 years ago. Nothing came of it because I didn't have sleep apnea, and she (the quack) was no longer interested in me because I did not require the expensive cpap mask, so basically she just dropped me.

My second sleep study is scheduled for this Friday at a different clinic. I'm not sure I want to go through with it though, as I noticed the doc that will be involved is one of my former student's dads, and I remember what an arrogant jerk he was at the parent-teacher conferences.

If I decide to go, they said to bring whatever I needed to make my sleep as normal as possible. That means that I want to bring hubby!!! Wonder if they will allow that???

Best of luck with your study...
    Mini
  8. Febricula

Febricula New Member

Hi Louisek,

For me, the sleep study really wasn't a big deal. It takes about an hour and a half to hook you up, but the technician was very friendly and lowkey (and, well, extremely good-looking!) and he let me watch TV while he did it. I didn't sleep very well because I was hooked up to so many different tubes and wires, but I think that's probably to be expected.

They woke me up quite early the next morning (5 or 6) and removed all the wires, which was a much quicker process. I did have to wash my hair a few times when I got home to get all the adhesive goo out of it.

They also told me I could take my usual meds, but I can't remember if I took them or not! Like you, I was concerned about what my natural sleep was like. They'll probably also have you fill out a form when you get there, so if you're like me and forget half the things you take, you might want to bring a list when you go.

What they check for: They will check for sleep apnea. (One of the many things they attach to your face will go right under your nose and will measure your breathing.) They will also be measuring how much you sleep and the quality of your sleep. (Too much alpha and not enough delta is a hallmark of CFS.) They will check for too much REM sleep (which signals depression). They will also check for things like Restless Leg Syndrome.

It was a really useful test for me to have, because I hadn't yet been diagnosed with CFS and I had always assumed that my sleep was fine. For someone who already knows they have CFS, I guess the important thing would be to see if you have sleep apnea, and to see if the meds you're taking are actually improving the quality of your sleep.

Just make sure your insurance is okay before you go. I was told that everything was fine, but ended up having quite a battle afterwards.

Hope this is helpful.

-febricula
  9. Engel

Engel New Member

I took along my "meds" but was NOT allowed to take them ... lol. Also I took too much "stuff" first night ... 2nd night all I took was ME and a sweater (which I ended up leaving there). The 2nd night the DR did RX a 5mg capsule of Ambien right there (not from my bottle) since I had trouble going to sleep for them. I had a really rough time sleeping there.
  10. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I live in the US and had a sleep study about 4 years ago.
    It did show I have obstructive sleep apnea, but it also gave alot of other information; oxygen levels, stages of sleep, etc.

It also showed I have alpha delta sleep wave pattern which improved when they did a followup study with me on the cpap machine. That is common with fibromyalgia patients, your brain experiences awake like busts of activity when in deeper stages of sleep.

It also showed a lot of periodic limb movement. I already knew I had a couple of movement disorders but the neurologist had told me that usually myoclonic movements cease when you go to sleep. Mine did not.

My sister has MS and also has myoclonic movements which do stop when she sleeps. Clonapin usually controls hers even when she is awake now.

When I had my sleep study the doctor did allow me to have something to make me sleep. the technician said it just depends on the doctor...some allow it and some not.