Sleep study- should my son do one?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by alaska3355, Jan 18, 2006.

1. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

Most people who do sleep studies seem to have wakeful sleep. My son sleeps 12 hours nightly, with no chance of waking up. I often say that if we had a fire, we'd have to drag him out, because he wouldn't wake up. It's a little scary, the way he sleeps. And he can still have brain fog and wake up tired....not rested.
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

Hi, I just wanted to let you know that my Son is the same way and he has sleep apnea. He takes about 2-5minutes to fall asleep. He goes to sleep when riding in a car or watching t.v. My husband is the same way and he also has sleep apnea. The waking up tired is usual for people with sleep apnea. I know I worry about my son too. He is 12yrs old and he is always so sleepy. He went to his neurologist and we have to go through another sleep study. And I say we because he is mentally retarded and I have to stay there with him and because of his problems I end up staying up. Which makes me so wore out with having fibro. I do seriously worry about if there was a house fire that I would have to drag my son out. My Niece was my son's age when she died in a house fire. We believe that she had sleep apnea and fibro. Well I hope things go okay for him and let him have the sleep study because having untreated sleep apnea can cause strokes and many other problems.
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

It definitely wouldn't hurt to get a sleep study done. I think if he were my son, I would do it.

I also have obstructive sleep apnea. I now sleep with a CPAP and oxygen. Made all of the difference in the world. My apnea was also causing me to go into congestive heart failure.

If the sleep study doesn't show anything, I would then follow up with his doctor for some blood work and/or other tests to see if there is any medical condition involved.

BTW, sleep studies are expensive, so I hope you have insurance.

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

so I will probably get him a sleep study as soon as we can schedule one. Thanks!