Sleep Study shows I get "NO" stage 3 or 4 rest

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Starla, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Starla

Starla New Member

Just got my results of my sleep study today. I got -0- Stage 3 sleep and -0- Stage 4 sleep. I slept 7 hrs, my body woke to Stage 1, 146 times, 67 of which were due to legs jerking.

He put me on some dopamine to make me rest and get to stage 4. Tonight will be my first night. We'll see.

He said that not ever getting the restorative sleep will cause depression, pain and fatigue. And hopefully by getting adequate restorative sleep these symptoms should improve.

I can't wait to see. This could be a miracle for me.
  2. mellow

mellow New Member

I will be interested to see how you go taking the dopamine. I know I always feel much worse after a bad night and even when I think I have slept I am exhausted. I don't think we are getting the restorative sleep that we need and that this creates the other problems. I hope this works for you. Keep us posted. Mellow
  3. VickyB

VickyB New Member

I also feel that I do not get the right kind of sleep. I use to take Amantadine and felt so much better!! My new doctor will not give me this medication anymore so I am curious as to what medication your doctor gave you to raise your dopamine levels??
    I hope your medication works for you, I do believe you are on to something!!
    Good luck, Sleeper01[This Message was Edited on 02/07/2003]
  4. klutzo

klutzo New Member

My sleep study showed plenty of Stage 3, but no Stage 4, and 40% of my stage 3 was interrupted by alpha waves.
    I was put on Welbutrin (it also raises dopamine). It made me so hyped that I only slept 3 hrs. a night, but I was so euphoric, I didn't care. After 42 days I woke up covered in hives, and that was the end of Welbutrin. I hope it works better for you. I think a lot of our chemical deficiencies are very slight, and some of these drugs are too strong for us. Too bad they don't make lower dosages for folks like us. Good luck to you and I hope you get some rest.
    Klutzo
  5. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

I'm also curious if it's the one I'm on...Mirapex. Also what is the dosage he's starting you on? The first night I took it I sleep like a baby. I've had good results for my restless leg syndrome using this but now I'm waking up 2-3 times at night again so I may need to increase dosage again or add some type of anti-depressant. I started Mirapex over a year ago on low dose of .125 and now I'm up to .5mg so you may have to increase dosage until you get to the amount that works best. I haven't had a sleep study but want to do one just to see if I'm getting any stage 3-4 sleep because I'm still very tired most days.

Good luck tonight...hope you sleep like a baby!
  6. Starla

Starla New Member

This is what it says it is. Description reads CARBIDOPA and LEVIDOPA. It is an antidyskinetic combinationation. The DR said it makes the cell produce what it needs to communicate to the next cell. He said it should stop the leg jerking (I think). Fog here. And it will make me rest deeper.

This med should make my cells produce the chemical itself. If it doesn't work, he said he will give me one that is a MIMIC. It will make my cells think it has what it needs to work.

Hopefully, the end result will be, if I sleep deeper, getting adequate rest in stage 4, I will have more energy, feel less fatigue and less pain.

Wouldn't that just be the greatest thing. I pray this works.

I recommend everyone gets a sleep test. It is a good tool to know if you are getting the right kind of rest. Most of us with FM all have sleep disorders. With the right diagnosis of our sleep pattern, they can treat that problem and it should help the others.

Let you know how it goes!!!!!
  7. Achy-shaky

Achy-shaky New Member

Which is also used for tremors in Parkinsons. I swear the more I know about this DD the more I think it's very much like Parkinsons! I used to think having parkinsons would be worse but I really don't anymore...there are more meds for parkinsons then for FM which help for years of being close to normal. I've done a lot of reading on both diseases and the symptoms are the same except that most parkinsons patients start out with a tremor. Very weird!
  8. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Believe me, I used to date a man with Parkinsons. There's a lot more to it than just tremors. It's a horrible disease. Researchers do think there is some common ground between Parkinsons and our illnesses.

BTW, medications which increase dopamine also increase libido in many people.

Love, Mikie
  9. Starla

Starla New Member

Instead of making me sleep, it wired me and I was wide awake for 4-6 hours during the night. I took it 5 nights and the longer I took it, the less sleep I got. At least I had sleep before, it was poor quality, but better than no sleep.

Now I'm on Mirapex. A Parkinson's Disease med. It really knocks me out. I sleep hard and don't want to wake up. I don't know what stage I go to without a test, but I know I don't wake up during the night and I feel limp in the morning.

I don't like the feeling of being drugged though. I want to be able and get up if the house catches on fire!!!
  10. VenusFire

VenusFire New Member

My doctor says that the reason we suffer from lack of sleep and morning soreness/pain is because the Alpha sleep waves keep disrupting our sleeping pattern so we don't get the Delta sleep, the restorative sleep that we need, which other people get, but because of FMS, CFS, etc. we are unable to reach that level of sleep. I have suffered from manic depression for years now, and have only recently found out that it's due to my FMS. I am on meds which have been *kinda* helping as well as a durogesic patch which dispenses pain meds over a period of 3 days, so my mornings are better.
  11. kimmer

kimmer New Member

A study for sleep apnea and a MLST done the next day. That is where they have you take a 20 min. nap every 2 hours, and check to see what level of sleep you get too. I never made it past stage 1&2. I do know that i have restless leg syndrome. Can't wait to get my results back.... even though I don't see that doc until March 10th. What a long time to wait. It should be interesting. ~Kim~
  12. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

I`ve always been a light sleeper, waking at the slightest sound.

All started when the children (bless them) came into this world.

As babies, my first didn`t need much sleep, then the second had asthma and would cough and throw up in the night!
    Followed by CHRONIC snoring, an op` on the tonsils sorted her out.
    The ex-husband also SNORED and would twitch all night. Eventually got rid of him (horrid man too).

Seems I am doomed, because I have a wonderful new hubby, who likes to sleep close, so his simple breathing keeps me awake. I can hear the cats going in and out through the cat flap in the kitchen below my bedroom. then when I do get off by dawn the birds start !

Anyone got a gun?

Only solution is a soundproof room to myself.

Pat.
  13. Starla

Starla New Member

Kim - Let me know how your results go. I'd like to know what treatment they give you.

Pat - Get some earplugs girl. How miserable. Since silence may be out of the questions, what if you had pleasant noise that was relaxing. I have one of those sound makers that you can choose between sounds of the night (crickets, frogs, etc. sounds like you are camping out), waterfall, ocean waves with seagulls, birds chirping, white noise. I like it, it puts me to sleep with peaceful thoughts.

Wishing a good nights sleep to everyone !!!

Starla
  14. sb439

sb439 New Member

just adding to what starla wrote.
    About earplugs: for years I thought I couldn't sleep with them. But there are many different 'models' on the market, and I've finally found some I can sleep with, (they are a horrid neon orange ...) and it does help me, so it's worth trying a few kinds before giving up, at least they're not very expensive.

Susanne
  15. Plantscaper

Plantscaper New Member

Wanted to know where sleep study was done and how much it cost?
  16. Starla

Starla New Member

My sleep study was done at my local hospital in the Cardiopulmonary Dept. I have no idea of the cost. Insurance covered mine. You could always call your local hospital to inquire.
  17. PatPalmer

PatPalmer New Member

Have had earplugs for years - but can still hear through them mostly.
    If wedged in really tight, they hurt if I sleep on my side and have also caused wax problems. Did make me deaf in one ear for a while, it was great.

Starla, your sound tapes would not work on me, seagulls, birds chirping - my worst nightmare. It would definately keep me awake.

I don`t drink, so can`t go down that road !

Nope, it`s the room but love my georgous new hubby too much, he even smiles in his sleep so I just watch him sleeping instead......

I have no problem in getting off to sleep, out like a light. Just keep waking in the night, so I am trying Magnesium at the moment so see if any joy there.

Pat.
    [This Message was Edited on 02/15/2003]
  18. mapessd

mapessd New Member

Going to my GP on Monday i have made a list a mile long so i don't forget one thing and i just added sleep test . She told me 5 mo. she might need to send me for a sleep test i'm going to bring it up again. At the time i would take a over the counter sleep aid and then be drug out all the next day so she didn't precribe any thing .. Well my ruemy did give me a sleep aid and it doesn't make a differance if i take somthing or not if i sleep 10,8,4,or3 hrs at nite i still am draging my b--- just to keep me eyes open So everyone pray i get a test done
    Good luck to everyone Sue