Sleep Study - What Can I Expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by SoxFan, Aug 29, 2005.

1. SoxFan

SoxFan New Member

My Dr. suggested that the next step may be to do a sleep study.

What is involved in this? I don't think I have the TIME to do this! I have two sick days left for the rest of this year, so I don't know if I should use them up for this. Is it worth it? What happens if they find out you are not getting quality sleep? I'm already taking a low dose of amitriptlyne to improve sleep quality. What if they find nothing wrong with my sleep, but I'm still sick?
  2. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

SoxFan

No sick days required. You usually go in the evening of the test and are up in enough time to get ready for work.

They hook you up to monitors all over your body. I found it quite interesting. My doctor had results in 24 hours.

If you are diagnosed with a sleep disorder that needs medical equipment, usually your insurance pays for most of it.

Wishing you the best,

Phyliss
  3. elsa

elsa New Member

They are becoming increasingly important to have done in the treatment of CFS/FM. Almost like a diagnostic ...
    Majority of patients have fractured sleep.

There is more to sleep disorders. Used to be , back in the day, that it was either you slept at night or you didn't.

Experts have learned a great deal more about the different stages of sleep and how they affect our lives.

Many get little or no stage 4/deep wave sleep. Some have sleep apnea. Some, like me have little to no
    REM/stage5 sleep. Others, ( people suffering from depression) have way too much REM sleep. Then there is alpha intrusion. Some skip stages 1 thru 4 and go immediatelt into REM.

I list all of this to show you what they have learned so far concerning insomnia. Here is the real kicker though. Different medications work on different sleep disorders. It is no longer a "one size fits all" treatment.

Ambien and Xyrem are very good for low/zero stage4 deep wave disorder. However, a patient like me who has zero REM sleep would get much worse by taking ambien or xyrem. Amitriptlyne ( and other anti- depressants ) would make zero REM sleep much, much worse too. Lunesta is a great sleep medication for 0 REM sleep.

People who have too much REM are often also sufferring from depression. The sleep study shows this by the excess in REM/stage 5 sleep. AD's suppress rem ... hopefully bringing it back to a normal range, thus giving the patient some relief.

I have a whole list of medications that I cannot take do to 0 REM ... these meds. would make my condition worse
    and I never would have known had I not done my sleep study.

It has about become critical for CFS/FM patients to have their sleep study done in order to have a chance to improve.

It involves you going in at a certain time ... mine was 9:30pm. It was a very relaxed and comfortable environment. Sleep techs. place the electrodes on your head and hand ( I think ) and then it's off to bed.

It is not the perfect vacation away from home ... you do tend to sleep on your back ... not forced to, just works out that way. They also need to have 6 hours of recorded time. That does not mean that you have to be alseep for 6 hours ... just that they need you to be hooked up that amount of time.

My "wake up call" was 5:30 or 6:00. I spent the day home just chilling out. I had the results from my sleep doctor that afternoon. ( He called me ... I was impressed.)

I don't see how you would have to miss work. If you scheduled this on a Friday night, you could have Saturday to yourself. ( I know ... big fun for a Friday. ) I didn't even leave my house for the sleep clinic until 8:45 that night.

I really wish I had known to do this when I was first diagnosed. I think I would have been feeling much better alot soon if I had. I am most definately in the beginnings of remission now and my improved sleep has a big hand in that.

Much to long of a response ... I apologize for that. I have learned quite a bit about sleep disorders and CFS/FM in the last few months. I really was mad at myself for not doing the study sooner ... could have saved myself probably a good year's worth of intense misery. I try to pass on what I have learned with this hindsight.

Take care,

Elsa

P.S. Sleep apnea, that many CFS/FM patients have, is very serious ... to the point of life threatening. This disorder can only be detected with a sleep study.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

They hook you up to more wires than you thought possible. They put gel gunk in your hair to get the electrodes on your head to stick. They may put belts around your chest and abdomen to check for the rising of the chest during breathing.

You go around 10:00 in the evening and they wake you to go home around 4:00 to 5:00 the next morning. It is a little hard to sleep in a different bed all wired up, but eventually, you go to sleep.

My study showed I am getting no Stage 4 sleep and almost no Stage 3, but I do get REM; however, the REM is delayed several hours. Deep sleep is vital to our health. Klonopin used to help me get good, refreshing sleep but it no longer is. I'm weaning off of it.

Good luck on your test. It's not that bad, just a pain in the nect.

Love, Mikie