Sleep study ... what should I expect?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Shalala, Mar 1, 2007.

1. Shalala

Shalala New Member

For those of you that have had a sleep study can you sort of tell me what to expect? Do you just take your pj's and toothbrush? lol I have a really hard time sleeping in strange places. Knowing I am being "watched" will make it worse.
  2. Shalala

Shalala New Member

I just got the paperwork from the Sleep Study place ... good grief ... payment at time of service?????? I beetter call them because if insurance isn't accepted then I cannot go.

Thanks for your response Cat. I may not be going?
  3. zenouchy

zenouchy Member

Hi Shalala,

I haven't had a sleep study, but I might get one sometime soon, which prompted me to do some research. I found this info online and it actually helps you better know what to expect. It's out of Stanford University. Hope it helps. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

http://www.talkaboutsleep.com/sleep-basics/viewasleepstudy.htm

Warmly, Erika
  4. Shalala

Shalala New Member

Thanks so much Erika
  5. SunnyShine

SunnyShine New Member

If you do end up doing the sleep study, I strongly recommend asking them for a low dose of some kind of sleep medication if they don't offer it. I've had 3 sleep studies. The first one I didn't get anything to help me sleep and it seemed like I didn't sleep at all. The other 2 times they gave me a low dose of Ambien (I think) and it helped a lot.

Good luck!
  6. Shalala

Shalala New Member

In the letter/ packet they sent it says I have a 2 hour appointment? I wonder if they have newer tests that can determine sleep apnea?

I have Ambien but the Neuro doesn't want me taking any more of it.
  7. tngirl

tngirl New Member

I have heard of having the in home tests. Not all doctors do this.

I kind of liked having my sleep study done at the Sleep Center. It was like staying in a nice hotel! No noice, room darkening drapes. You could watch TV or read, etc.

They had me come in about 9 p.m. to het all hooked up.

Expect to have a lot of electrodes on your head and also to your legs.

I did receive Ambien to help me go to sleep, but I know some doctors won't give you any sleep meds.

There was a very small camera near the ceiling.

There was a full bath, I was glad to get the glue residue out of my hair the next morning.

Insurance covered everything for me.