sleep study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by scully571, Aug 6, 2005.

1. scully571

scully571 New Member

HI all im having a sleep study this friday and im really
    nervous,i dont know what to expect.I usualy dont fall asleep
    at 10pm.1-So my question here is how does a sleep sudy work?
    2-how did anybody live this expereince?
    3-any tips or other info that might be helpfull to me?

like i said im really nervous and all,hoping your answers
    will help me live this test a litle better tx all
  2. Pinkgirl

Pinkgirl New Member

I just wish I could have one done! I've been begging my dr.s but no such luck! So, I can't really help you as far as what one is, what goes on ect.

I know quite a few people on here have had one done, and all of them have had a positive experience with it! You're sleep is what it is, and if you can't fall asleep that will be recorded... I haven't heard of one person that hasn't been helped by having one done.

I hope it goes well for you!

Hugs,
    Love
  3. scully571

scully571 New Member

Thank you for your reply pinkgirl,i am still anxious but i guess things will go well.

I would really like the replys of people who have lived this
    to know what to expect a litle.
    Thanks all
  4. CAAnnieB

CAAnnieB New Member

Hi scully571,

I just had my sleep study this past Tuesday! I posted about my experience in a post "Think I flunked my sleep test!!!" In the post, I described my experience. It was a disappointment to me because I was NOT nervous beforehand...I thought I'd have no problem sleeping! Instead; I had a very difficult time falling asleep & then staying asleep.

With that said; I'm going to encourage you by saying that maybe you'll have the opposite experience! If you are nervous now; maybe you will be ready to relax for your study?!

I found the study itself to be O.K....It was not painful or uncomfortable to be hooked up to electrodes & straps, etc...The bed was actually very comfy! I think the tough part for most people is that you aren't in your usual sleeping environment, you KNOW the techs are monitoring you all night & your usual bedtime routine is gone.

It's kinda like sleeping in a hotel really. (Except you are all wired up and there is a camera watching you all night!) I also was there with 4 other patients. (We all had our own bedrooms) The guy next to me was snoring really loudly, so that didn't help my sleep either!

I was told by a woman who used to work at the clinic that MANY people have difficulty falling asleep & sleeping well at the clinic. Staying overnight at the clinic is better than a home study for the techs because if any wires come undone, they can fix it right away. They also can come in & try the CPAP on you if you are showing signs of Sleep Apnea. The advantage of doing a study at home is that you are able to sleep comfortably at home in your own bed.You didn't say which one you were having.

You asked for tips...I'm really not sure what to say! I tried every mind game known to me to relax & fall asleep! If you usually have insomnia (I don't), then I guess it wouldn't matter so much if you don't sleep! I was upset because my night was so totally nonrepresentative of what I usually do.

My Sleep Clinic gave me a tour of the facility & where I'd be sleeping at my pre-study appointment. They also gave me brochures to read. The night I went in for the study; they showed me an informational video while I was sitting being wired up.Maybe you have these things available to you?

Good luck! I'm sure you'll do just fine. Knowing that everyone is at least a little nervous & that you shouldn't expect a super sound night's sleep...They will be able to tell a lot about your sleep even if you feel you didn't sleep much. (I was told.)

I hope you have a very positive experience & the clinic is able to figure out your sleep problems.Keep us posted! There are quite a few of us here having these studies done this month.

Good Night,
    Annie B
  5. scully571

scully571 New Member

Hi annie,thanks for your your post,i really apreciate the
    the info you gave me,it reasures me a lot.I do have insomnia
    do it depends on the days.

thanks again
    hugs
  6. tngirl

tngirl New Member

Try not to be nervous. Take all your regular medicines, unless instructed by your doctor to do so. Try not to nap in the daytime if you can help it.

My doctor gave me 1 ambien to take to help me relax and go to sleep easier. I don't think all doctors do that.

You will be hooked up with all kinds of electrodes in your scalp, chest, legs, and an oxygen sensor on your finger.

The room I had was like a hotel room. It was very quiet. They had a TV if you usually like that background noise to fall asleep.

They told me that they would awaken me and put me on a cpap machine in the night if I had severe sleep apnea.

There is a camera, so they can observe.

I didn't get awakened because I don't have severe apnea.
    I learned I was having an apnea episode every minuete of Rem sleep and every 20 minuets of non rem sleep. They said
    I have mild to moderate apnea. I use a cpap machine now.
  7. shadow205

shadow205 New Member

I had a sleep study done a couple of years ago and it was not bad at all. I have horrible sleep habits(Leave the TV on in my bedroom all night)so I didn't think that there was any possibilty of me being able to go to sleep or stay asleep. I was allowed to sit in a lounge near my room and watch TV until I relaxed a little and felt that maybe I could go to sleep then went to bed. Much to my suprise,I was sleeping in no time. Then they came in and woke me to put the CPAP machine on me because my sleep apnea is so bad. I forget how many apnea episodes I had but they said it was way to many. The night was not an unpleasant event at all. It is kinda freaky though knowing that someone is watching you while you are sleeping. It was so funny, when they first turned the lights off, it was pitch black in that room,couldn't see nothing, this voice comes over the intercom and tells me to take my glasses off and put them on the stand by the bed. I had forgotten to take them off and was shocked that they could see me.