Sleep Study

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by swimmer71, Feb 3, 2006.

1. swimmer71

swimmer71 New Member

I have recently found myself waking up blowing drool from my lips. That and snoring, point toward sleep apnea.

My neurologist suggested a sleep study awhile back, but I turned it down, seeking to avoid the typical, "well, you have fibro....wish we could help" type line.

Will they tell me that if I go? I don't want to waste my time then.

Or, will they refer me to one of their mouth guards? I already wear one that my dentist prescribed for teeth grinding.

Any advice will be helpful.
  2. Crispangel66

Crispangel66 New Member

My husband and son have sleep apnea and it is very dangerous if untreated. The dr said it can cause strokes heart problems and many other things I can't think of right now. My husband stopped breathing about 250-300 times during his sleep study and he had alot of arrithmia's. It can also make you more tired than usual. That plus fibro or cfs is going to just wear you out! My son also has epilepsy and the sleep apnea when not under control can cause more seizures. So I beg you have the sleep study. On here we care about each other and care about your health. {{{{{{Gentle Hugs}}}}}}} Pamela
  3. JLH

JLH New Member

You really do need to get one done. My sleep study indicated that I had obstructive sleep apnea. It was causing my congestive heart failure.

I now sleep with a CPAP mask with oxygen piped into it.

You could wear your mouth guard that your dentist prescribed in addition to your CPAP mask - because it just fits over your nose. (The blue gel masks are the most comfortable for me!)

Hugs,
    Janet
  4. 69mach1

69mach1 New Member

i just came out of denial myself....i am scheduled for my sleep study on 2/19....oi have to pick up whatever device they give me andi take mine home and sleep...i understand it will measure my osygen level...i am only 41 years new....i nver snored before or felt like i would wakeup gasping for air...i thought maybe it was because of nasal congestion...well will do the test now just to rule out...

jodie