Sleep study????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cymbeline, Sep 28, 2006.

1. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

I am interested in sleep studies as i feel that there is a problem with my sleep that i am not quite getting to the bottom of.
    Can anyone tell me if they have had a sleep study and what they found out. Also what was done to help you after this, were you given advice and help or told that not much could be done?
    I would be really grateful for any knowledge anyone has.
    Thanks
  2. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I had a home sleep study done. It was less wait time, cheaper and no one watches you sleep.

They found that I had sleep Apnea.
    Now sleep with a CPAP machine.

Good luck

Bruinz
  3. jesfms

jesfms New Member

i had sleep study done...first time they said they didn't see anything...next day they redid it cause hubby said i had apnea...they did find it and order a cpap...it is hard to sleep with..i am a open mouth sleeper and mask is like a dive mask...air really dries throat...but i believe i get fewer headaches when i sleep with it...but it hasn't changed my fatigue level...
  4. louiesgirl2

louiesgirl2 New Member

I was diagnosed with it. I could not use the mask, I use nose pillows and a chin strap to keep my mouth closed. It is very helpful.

Both times I had my study it was overnight at a hospital.
  5. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Hi Cymbeline

My doctor sent me for a sleep study because I was complaining of extreme fatigue (this was before my diagnosis of FM. He thought I might have sleep apnea.

What the neurologist said I definitely had was Restless Legs Syndrome. My legs twitched and jumped all night long disturbing my sleep.

My husband said he could have told the doctor that without the expensive study as he has the bruises on his legs to prove it, lol.

The sleep study also showed that I never go into level 4 sleep. I was able to use this study as well as a report from my rheumatologist that I have FM to help with me apply for disability.

hugs Redwillow
  6. cymbeline

cymbeline New Member

Thanks for all your replys.
    Redwillow, did they recommend anything you could do to help your sleep if you are never going into level 4?
  7. Harmony

Harmony New Member

How do you get a "home" sleep study? That would be much better to me as I had two at a sleep study center and I couldn't sleep there.

8. Bruinz

Bruinz New Member

I am from Canada so it will be completly different on how you can get a home sleep study done. Try a search on the internet using "Home sleep study and where you live".

It was so worth it to me to have it done at home.

good luck

Bruinz
  9. Harmony

Harmony New Member

Thanks Bruinz! I'll see what I can find. I'm glad it worked for you. I have all the symptoms and if I need the CPAP, I think it would help.

Harmony :)
  10. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

My neurologist gave me medication to control the restless leg syndrome. He felt the twitching legs was waking me up.

In my case the meds (Sinemet usually used for people with Parkingson's disease) made me extremely nauseous. So I quit taking it.

I am not on Amitriptylene at bedtime to help me sleep. I take it about 8:00 so that by 11:00 I am ready to go to sleep.

I was told by a doctor that there was nothing that they could give you to make you go into level 4 sleep. The amitriptylene is a mild sedative that helps you relax. I am sleeping much better since I started taking it.

The other plus for me is since I am sleeping better I am having a lot less migraines!

Relaxation techniques and meditation help some people.

I am also sleeping in the guest bedroom. This was a tough decision for me as I miss my hubby but I am resting better and so is he.

hugs Redwillow
  11. FreeSpirit97

FreeSpirit97 New Member

I am currently in a clinical trial to study insomnia in Fibromyalgia patients. The study is to evaluate Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in treating insomnia. I am getting therapy but am not sure if it's placebo treatment or not. The study lasts about 9 months. They don't give you information about what they find until the end. I do know that I don't have sleep apnea.
  12. lbuchanan3

lbuchanan3 New Member

I had a sleep study done in 2001 and they found that I had severe sleep apnea, was basically waking 60 times a minute physiologically (not aware of waking) and the important thing about this is not the lack of sleep as much as it is the carbon dioxide that can build up in your blood stream due to blocked breathing passages.

By the time I had been "asleep" for 4 hours my blood oxygen dipped to 78% saturation. The technician rushed in and put a C-pap on me in the middle of the night, which kind of scared me.

The next day the doctor told me that at 74% a person can go into cardiac arrest and die in their sleep. Normal sleep oxygen blood levels are 94-98%.

I can say that is the only thing I have found to be good about having FM. The week before I had the sleep study done I woke up with severe chest pains. No it was not a heart attack, it was my first symptom of costochondritis, but as a part of all the testing I went through afterwards I found out about my sleep apnea before it was too late.

I have been using a C-pap every night for 5 years. It was really hard to get used to for the first few weeks, but after that I was so much more rested it was well worth feeling like Darth Vader when I went to bed. You definately will want to get one with a heated humidifyer, this really helps with the dry mouth.

Have the study done, and do the research on sleep apnea. It is the number one cause of death in sleep, and greatly increases your chances of developing congestive heart failure and stroke. Better to find out early to prevent some of these problems because nobody caught on till it was to late, 80% of my doctors patients only found out they had sleep apnea when they were hospitalized with a heart attack or stroke.

Good Luck---Linda B
    [This Message was Edited on 09/29/2006]
  13. pawprints

pawprints New Member

I was found not to get into deep sleep. The only drug proven to help this is Xyrem. It is not approved for FM/CFIDS, but hopefully will be someday.

There is alot of good info about this drug on this site. I could not tolerate it, but others have had success.