sleep test

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Jittle, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Jittle

Jittle Member

I am having a sleep study done in mid-July, anyone ever had one????

Currently I am sleeping about 5 hours a night: Its just about 5am and I am already up, yeah :(
    Then exhausted all day. I bought BComplex and Gingeng, to help during the day, but so far no luck. The doctors inital impression was that it coud be an autoimmune disorder (I probably will not describe it correct): Somehow the brain gets confused about being awake and sleeping: It doesn't know what to do so you stay in limbo most of the time.

We will see.....
  2. luigi21

luigi21 Member

LOL! yep ive had one done, if you can get asleep with all the things they stick on your head, legs and the device that you carry round your neck which make you look like the terminator then your be ok, so remember to take your meds, dont expect to get a wonderful nights sleep, although some do, i didn't the electrodes annoyed me, i must have visited the loo ten times and you have to bleep the technician to come and release you from the plugged in device, so all mine proved is that i dont sleep, and am less likely too wearing this contraption lol. That said some of the others did sleep, and i did, although only slightly aware got 30mins. another big detail in my case i live in england and our sleep clinic was situated next to BIG BEN! if you dont know what that sounds like google it! so all the best, if any thing it will be an experience, theres some people who have filmed theirs on youtube that will give you a fair idea. love to hear back about your experience.
  3. Jittle

Jittle Member

Big ben made be laugh :)
    Haven't been there in ten years.

Worse is I have to stay the entire next day. So bad enough I have been getting up at 4:30 am, then I have to be there until 7:30 that next day.
  4. chloe_s_mom

chloe_s_mom New Member

I went recently to rule out sleep apnea. I do poorly when stuck in any one position for any length of time and even worse on hard surfaces. The technicians were delightful, kind, and assuring. A bunch of us had to spend the night there and it was impossible to fall alseep and stay asleep. We were all woken early bec the beds were needed for day surgery patients. A bunch of us stumped out, looking awful, with bizzare goop still stuck in our hair. Others seemed unhappy that nothing was found, feeling that it wasn't a good indication of their true situations. I was just happy to get out of there! Limping away, terrible pain. But, away none the less :)
  5. sabs

sabs New Member

They asked me if I needed a sleeping pill. I thought I'd better because of all the wires and things. They gave me 5mg of ambien. I did need to get up a few times to go to the bathroom, but about 2am the person monitoring me told me they needed to put a mask on me. I now have a CPAP machine that is really a challenge for me to use. I almost sent it back, but decided to give it another go.
    Another Dr is having me try low dose naltrexone which can be used for auto immune disorders.
    Hope your sleep test goes well.
    Take care, sabs
  6. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I have been using a CPAP/APAP for about a year. As you know, difficult and challenging.

Untreated OSA often leads to heart problems, strokes, and actual decrease in the white matter of your brain.

But don't despair. If your machine is not comfortable there are lots of things that can be done to improve your use of the CPAP. It might be a mask change, a pressure change, or a myriad of other solutions.

The best help I have found is the Apnea support forum run by the American Sleep Apnea Association.

It's not quite like this forum as it is mostly informational. I have been impressed how quickly you get a response by people with lots of experience and some of the mods. are actually medical professional specializing in sleep disorders. The forum is run by the American Sleep Apnea Association.

I can't emphasize enough how important it is to use the machine on a consistent basis.

Good luck.
    [This Message was Edited on 06/25/2011]
  7. gapsych

gapsych New Member

If you are staying the next day, you are also being tested for narcolepsy which can seriously effect your health.

Even if you don't get a good nights sleep they can often get enough information from the little sleep you do get. If they don't get enough information, they may give you another or a "mini" sleep test.

There are also home sleep studies but if I remember correctly, these tests are usually for screening sleep apnea.

One important thing is to make sure both the doctor and lab are accredited. It is really important to see a doctor who is is a Diplomat of the American Board of Sleep Medicine. Sleep labs should be accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine.

A good informational forum is Talk About Sleep. If it turns out you have Obstructive Sleep Apnea a wonderful forum is The American Sleep Apnea Association's Apnea Support Forum.

Since sleep is so tied up with pain, IMHO that most people with our DD should have a sleep study.

Good luck and keep us updated.
  8. Jittle

Jittle Member

Thanks everyone for your responses.
    I go for the test July 12 and 13th. Then back the following week for the results: I will let you all know.

Here's hoping all goes well
  9. Jittle

Jittle Member

the doc said it could be a form of narco, thats the autoimmune thing I tried explaining above. But as usual 10 minutes after a new doctors appt. I always forget all the medical terms they use. I knew I shoudl have wirtten down the exact name he gave it. I may try a search later to see if I can find it.

I have been in more pain since this weird sleep cycle started. I have had many weird cycles throughout my life: this one is the most annoying, and I hope it ends soon.

Thanks for the info.