SLEEP!!!!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JohnBee, Feb 11, 2006.

1. JohnBee

JohnBee New Member

I know sleep disruption is a big thing with most of us FM folk. I take Lyrica and Klonopin and get 4-5 hours sleep; bingo, at 3 am it's like the lights and a radio go on in my brain, and it is impossible to go back to sleep! #$%*&! Does this happen to you? What do you do about it, and has any practitioner explained why this goes on night after night? Any words of encouragement would be most welcome.
  2. caroleye

caroleye New Member

Once your meds wear off, this can happen. Also, "most" people have a 5 hour wakeup call.

I'm prepared by taking my 2nd Cal/Mag, Klonopin & Calms Forte.

Usually works, but still wake up earlier than I'd like.

LIGHT**********carole
  3. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

I just get so tired that without meds I am sleeping 12 hours a night, not good sleep, but I do get some of that too. After many years of 4 hrs a night never feeling as if I could fall asleep, of a sudden, I cannot get enough!
    Cannot win! Love Anne
  4. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

for about 2 or 3 years I was on a 4 hours a night sleep cycle and suddenly my body said enough and I spent the next 2 years in a crash and burn 15 to 20 hours of sleep a day....I think that was my healing time because while I still have some sleep problem the fm seems to be in somewhat of a remission now and I function better.

Sigh...I certainly hear what you are saying johnbee
  5. WoodstocksMusic

WoodstocksMusic New Member

for about 2 or 3 years I was on a 4 hours a night sleep cycle and suddenly my body said enough and I spent the next 2 years in a crash and burn 15 to 20 hours of sleep a day....I think that was my healing time because while I still have some sleep problem the fm seems to be in somewhat of a remission now and I function better.

Sigh...I certainly hear what you are saying johnbee
  6. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Can't sleep until 4 or 5am then feel like a zombie when I try to drag myself up before midday! Horrible isn't it?! I think you just have to go with the flow with the sleep problems.

Hugs Bunchy x
  7. Pianowoman

Pianowoman New Member

Many of us have a sleep disorder called Alpha Intrusion (it has another name too, I think) The lighter Alpha waves intrude on our deeper sleep and never allow it to happen! Many of us have had sleep studies that document this. A sleep study might help you discover exactly what your sleep disorder is. Another med may be prescribed depending on what they find.

Many people just take something else at 3A.M. and go back to sleep ( hopfully!)

Kathy.
  8. jaquieb

jaquieb New Member

I take ambien everyother night. It lets me sleep for about 4 or five hours. Some nights though I have a hard time getting to sleep even with ambien. On my off nights I don't sleep well at all. So I look forward to my on nights. jaquie

PS. How many take melatonin? I hear it has helped some people but hasn't helped me.
  9. JLH

JLH New Member

I wholeheartedly recommend a sleep study. It will show you exactly what your sleep problems are.

I found out from mine that I have obstructive sleep apnea and that it was what was causing me to go into congestive heart failure!

I now sleep with a CPAP machine and oxygen. My sleep has improved 100%! In fact, I take 6 mg. of Zanaflex before I go to bed and I will sleep straight for 10 hours!

Janet
  10. DesireeMWB

DesireeMWB New Member

I have noticed that this happens to me as well. I am not taking Lyrica and Klonopin. I am taking Cymbalta and Ultracet. I tend to take these as late as possible so I will get up and start my day. If I take it too early, I will wake up then become fatigued about 2 hours later when I need to get up.
  11. lilchisler

lilchisler New Member

Hi there
    I read all the post and I have similar situation.
    I cannot go to bed until I know that I will fall asleep...that is usaully about 3 AM even with Klonopin and magnesium..someitmes even xanax. I sleep about 3 to 4 hours then I am up trying to unfold myself and start my day. I always wake up with a severe headache and feel like I am trying to manage the walking and so ordination skills with my mind and someone elses body trying to follow the command. I have tried to take meds earlier and go to bed earlier,,,this not a solution either.

I wake up at 3 and do not go back to sleep. I can however, while in my sleep stage, get up, let the dog out in the middle of the night, go right back to sleep , but my total time asleep is very seldom more than 4 to 5 hours.
    I

I have always been this way since I was a child. I never wanted to go to bed and always was an early riser. I still go ahead and get up early, but I am a total tragedy for the first few hours when I am trying to get ready for work.

This illness can and is such a "trip" and every day is a new drive down and unchartered road.
    I wish you the best in finding a solution.

By the other reads on this post,,,there are many of us in the same situation.

we may not be able to offer a solution, but know you are in my prayers and that you are not suffering alone.

lilchisler
  12. greatgran

greatgran Member

Oh, it would wonderful to get a good nights sleep, at least I think so.

I am up and down all night, never sleep soundly. I go to bed between 10 and 11 pm usually wake at 2 or 3 then toss and tumble and usually get up around 5 then sometimes go back to bed and will sleep another hour..I too awake with a headache and what sleep I do get I have crazy dreams..

Nothing seems to work, and the not sleeping is really getting to me. Sure wish I could offer some advise..

greatgran
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

If your cortisol is high, it will cause middle of the night insomnia. I had my cortisol tested through Clymer Healing Research in Pennsylvania. They're on the web, we did it all by mail and phone and e-mail.

a saliva test showed my cortisol levels were skewed, too high in the middle of the night, and they gave me Seriphos (phosphorylated serine) to take. It helped enormously.

A sister of mine had a similar problem. She started taking CortiSlim, which has herbs which help lower cortisol and that helped her.

Mary