Sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Teflon, May 28, 2006.

1. Teflon

Teflon New Member

Hi

From the posts I've read, there seem to be two different patterns of sleep problems that both leading to non-restorative sleep.

1. Not being able to fall asleep
    2. Falling asleep OK but not staying asleep.

I have the second one. Do any of you have any suggestions on how I can sleep better? I've already been to a sleep clinic and it showed alpha wave changes... but I don't want to go on medication.

Thanks
    Teflon
  2. elliespad

elliespad Member

If you are not opposed to Nutritional Supplements, you might try this. L-Tryptophan, is an Amino Acid, available by Prescription from a Compounding Pharmacy, or online from several sources. Some brands I have used and recommend are: BIOS, Lidtke, Craig, Nokomis. Nokomis has had good pricing lately and I have been using them for a year now.

You can take 500 mg per 50 lbs. of body weight. I take 1500 mg. but the math says I can take more. Tryptophan must be taken with Vit-B-6 so Tryptophan is converted to Seratonin in the brain and not the Gut. Take away from other protein sources as the amino acids in the protein will compete with the tryptophan for uptake. May take with a bit of Carbohydrate. I recently added a product offered by the FFC, Rest & Restore, which is mostly GABA, L-theanine, skullcap, passionflower, 5-HTP, Melatonin. But, I would bet you get great results from the L-tryptophan and B-6.

I sporadically take an Amino Acid complex just to maintain a balance. Hope this helps.
  3. diva42597

diva42597 New Member

I have the first problem, but I can share what I do. I am one of the few that is not on prescription meds because I do not have medical insurance. I take tylenol pm and sleep with earplugs and an eye mask. These have been a lifesaver for me. The tylonol helps me get to sleep and the earplugs and the eye mask help me stay asleep. I tend to sleep very lightly to begin with because of the fibro and I found that without the little noises or the light waking me up I can sleep for as long as I need to to get the rest I need and I can even wake up to an alarm with the earplugs in. I hope that helps.
  4. Teflon

Teflon New Member

Isn't Tryptophan the chemical in turkey that makes you sleepy?!? If it is then I already know that it will work, as when I eat turkey I get sleepy.

(Taking supplements sounds better than eating a whole boat load of turkey every night before bed though!!!).

This is going to sound a little odd but I am still searching for good earplugs. I have really small ear canals and most of what I have tried have fallen out, or don't stay in... the rest make me itchy. (I have the same problem with ear thermometers, (Oral is THE only way!)... and those little ear buds to listen to music etc.

Thank you for the suggestions!
    Teflon