Sleepiness

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by reva727, Dec 4, 2002.

1. reva727

reva727 New Member

I have a sleep problem I guess. I am sleepy all the time. I sleep 9-10 hour a night. When I wake up I feel like I've been beat. It's a viscous circle, the more I sleep, the more I hurt, but I can't wake up. Then when I do get up, I keep falling asleep, reading, watching TV and at the computer. It seems like when I doze off, I start dreaming right away. The doctor run some blood tests and couldn't find anything. He did mention a sleep test, but I don't think I have sleep apnea. Can anyone out there help me? I'm new to this message board.
  2. reva727

reva727 New Member

I have a sleep problem I guess. I am sleepy all the time. I sleep 9-10 hour a night. When I wake up I feel like I've been beat. It's a viscous circle, the more I sleep, the more I hurt, but I can't wake up. Then when I do get up, I keep falling asleep, reading, watching TV and at the computer. It seems like when I doze off, I start dreaming right away. The doctor run some blood tests and couldn't find anything. He did mention a sleep test, but I don't think I have sleep apnea. Can anyone out there help me? I'm new to this message board.
  3. Stormy214

Stormy214 New Member

to say anything, but that sounds like a student I once had who was diagnosed with narcolepsy. ALSO sounds like another student I had who suffered depression (I teach high school). Something to check into, maybe...
    Peace,
    Stormy
  4. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I went to a Doctor just today who ordered a sleeping study!
    Sleeping studies are not just to dx sleep apnea (short periods of stopping breathing) but also to evaluate your sleep patterns...to see if you get into your deepest sleep state (stage 4), not just REM sleep where your dreams take place.

This Doctor mentioned it's possible to have breakthru REM episodes while you are awake! (whatever that means)
    I am on my way to search the net now for some answers.

I also get very tired during the day, and wake up unrefreshed. (also have infrequent sleep paralysis) Just found out what it's called thanks to this board!!) I didn't even know there was such a thing, just thought my body was falling asleep before my brain...sounds a little nuts...I was glad to hear there is so much info on it!(very scary)

I will post when I know more.
    Take care,
    Susan
  5. mellow

mellow New Member

Hi Reva. I have the same problem although not as bad. I have RA and also fibro. I could sleep alnight but wake up feeling exhausted and terribly tired all day. I would often have to sleep in the afternoon. My problem is related to the fibro. Your sleep problem seems a little different and maybe a sleep test would be a good idea. My husband was diagnosed with sleep apnea and he thought he slept alnight. He was waking up about 30 times a night and wasn't aware of it. Good luck Mellow
  6. karen2002

karen2002 New Member

Hi Reva, as mentioned many who have these syndromes suffer from unrefreshing sleep. It is not the quantity, but the quality of the sleep that is at issue. Waking up feeling as you have described, can be a symptom of unrestorative sleep. The body must enter deep, stage four sleep, in order to function correctly. The results of not obtaining this produce numerous symptoms, which can include pain, impaired cognitive skills, sleepiness, and many systems malfunctioning.
    As mentioned Sleep Studies do far more than check for the presence of sleep apnea. There are many other sleep disorders.
    You mentioned dreaming, this does not take place in the deep level stage four sleep, but takes place in (REM) Rapid Eye Movement stage, which is an increased brain activity stage.
    Some here use herbal and alternative methods to improve sleep, while others use prescription drugs. What works on one, does not always work on another, when dealing with Fibro or Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Many try several treatments, until they happen on the one best suited for their individual needs. Treating sleep issues is a very important treatment in these disorders.
    Karen
  7. 2BPainfree

2BPainfree New Member

I just finished searching for info on sleep stages ect.
    I have to say.....ALOT of these symptoms fit right into narcolepsy! When someone first mentioned this last week I thought....naw.....not me, I don't have THAT! But now I'm starting to wonder. Can't wait to have my sleep study done!

Just wanted to let you know what I found. BTW: My Doc prescibed a med for me to try that's given to narcoleptics to help alertness during the day, it's called provigil. I am going to try it tomorrow morning....eek! another med!

Susan
  8. reva727

reva727 New Member

I appreciate all the suggestions. My doctor had suggested a sleep study at one time, but the last time I saw him he said he didn't think I had sleep apnea so didn't schedule it. I guess it would show other problems too. The one here isn't a Blue Cross provider though. I may check into it. I forgot to mention that I do take oxycotin which may contribute to the problem but it hasn't been consistant, so I didn't really think it was the problem. I may also try to do without it to see if it is the problem. I have also taken valerian to help me sleep deeper. I think the pain interferes with my sleep also. I would like to hear more about your sleep studies if you have had one.

[ advertisement ]