SLEEPING Again, again. Can anyone tell me best meds in your experience?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by tennisnut, May 26, 2009.

1. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

Hi there, as I have neither the energy or the inclination to research sleeping meds. I am hoping that others have. I am not comfortable with taking sleep drugs, but getting VERY desperate for good sleep. I can be awake for 5 hours and too tired to get up.

You can image how that wrecks every day.

Can anyone tell me if the main ingredient is the same in all these medications? or are some more likely to cause side effects or harm?

I know - we're all different, but I will happily take the advice of fellow sufferers, rather than go to the doctor on this problem - sad, eh?

I have tried various herbal remedies - some even increased the insommnia.

Anyway, in advance, thanks for any help given. Cheers TN
    [This Message was Edited on 05/26/2009]
  2. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

I'm going to tell you that everyone will be different as you already know. You will have to find the right type of sleep meds by researching, talking to your PCP, and finally trying it yourself. I read many books, researched, and talked to my doctor. I can tell you that the newer sleep meds like ambien and lunesta in the hypnotic class are suppose to be safer than the older benzodiazepam type sleep meds.

Unfortunately, after talking to my doctor and trying them for myself, ambien and lunesta are just not strong enough for my insomnia. I ended up with a powerful 30mg temazepam that knocks you out but i also need ambien should i wake up and can't get back to sleep. My insomnia from the CFS is severe. In addition, i have to also use natural sleep supplements-5htp, l-theanine, melatonin, and valerian root.

The combination of proper sleep hygeine(blocking out window light and earplugs), natural and chemical sleep meds has allowed me to sleep about 8 hours uninterrupted. Getting +8hours of sleep everynight for 1 year has done nothing for the "unrefreshing" feeling i get when i wake up nor has it got me any better. There is still something missing for me. i am in the quest for refreshing sleep. hope that helps some. good luck to you.
  3. fibromickster

fibromickster New Member

I was recommended CQ10 and Lysine (sp????), they are vitamins. I have been taking them for a little over a month and have definetly seen a difference. You can get them really cheap at any department store.

good Luck
  4. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

I went thru the sleep study and other tests that were all "normal".

Best rx med for me is 50mg Trazodone. This is an old anti-depressant that causes drowsiness and helps w deeper sleep. Some people get side effects of " feeling hung over in the morning", I only get a stuffy nose sometimes soon after I take it. I also sometimes take Ativan .5-1mg if I have trouble falling asleep.

As far as supplements go, my Dr told me to try Melatonin, L-Tryptophan, or L-Theanine...I think the Tryptophan was most helpful, my sister swears by it. I also went thru a few rx sleep aids, but none of them helped me (ambien, lunesta, and a couple others that I can't remember right now).

Sleep is sooo important, and it's awfully stressful when your body just won't stay asleep! There are also some other older anti depressants that are sometimes rx'd for sleep, not sure of the names tho. Good luck.

5. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

to those who gave a little of their valuable energy to reply.

I can choose and try for myself.

I just wanted a magic bullet, didn't I?

Cheers, TN
  6. andreake

andreake New Member

If you are looking for prescribed medication, I have found Trazadone and amnitriptiline work the best for me.

Also, you can order some herbal supplements that contain melatonin, valarian, etc that may help. I would think that this web site has some natural sleep aides.