Sleeping better with magnesium glycinate

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by mbofov, May 6, 2011.

1. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Well - I had been told and thought for several years that magnesium citrate was the most easily absorbed form of magnesium, have been taking it faithfully.

I read one of Rich's posts recently in which he said that magnesium glycinate was the best form to take, best absorbed.

So I bought some from iherb - Blue Bonnet brand in capsule form, and since starting it, I have been sleeping more deeply, dreaming more, and going back to sleep more quickly when I wake up in the middle of the night. It's been about a week, so I don't think it's a coincidence.

Most of the product reviews for magnesium glycinate state that it doesn't cause the loose stools that other forms can cause. I"m tolerating it just fine.

I'm crossing my fingers but I think I have stumbled onto something good here. Just wish I had heard about this before!

Mary
  2. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

Someone on Cort's forum had suggested this form and raved about it about a year or so ago and I'd been meaning to get some...thanks for your experience, as I'm having such trouble sleeping at night. Then I want to sleep all morning...bad cycle for me, especially w/ children. It sounds like it's worth trying that form...
    thanks,
    SJ
  3. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

Do give it a try - I hope it helps you too! I think Swanson's has a cheaper form of it, but I was in a hurry and iherb has such fast shipping. After I finish this bottle I will try Swanson's.

Mary
  4. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I hope it keeps working too!

Best wishes,

Mary
  5. Sacajawea2

Sacajawea2 Member

I just called my local health food store, they don't carry it...then called one further away and they carry the brand Blue Bonnet and took my phone number to look it up and call me back--perhaps they can get it for me if they don't have it in their store. I've never ordered any product off the internet, lol...really!

SJ
  6. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I was you 12 years ago or so until my kids talked me into ordering on-line - now I wouldn't be without it! It saves driving and gas, when I'm sick or tired or crashed it's easy shopping, and my vitamins and supplements cost about 1/2 of what I would pay in the store.

Some good places for supplements, if you want to get your feet wet, so to speak, are ProHealth, Swanson Vitamins, Vitacost and iherb - I've used them all for several years and never had a bad experience.

In any event, good luck with the magnesium glycinate however you get it! Let us know how it goes -

Best wishes,

Mary
  7. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I used to take a product from Swanson's that has 3 types of magnesium, then I switched to magnesium citrate which I was told was the best, and now the glycinate. This is the first one where I've noticed a positive difference in sleep.

I did try Calms Forte several years ago and didn't notice any difference but who knows - our bodies change. I've heard other people swear by it.

I'll send you an e-mail -

Mary
  8. bobbycat

bobbycat New Member

with loose stools. LOL
  9. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Oooh, interesting! Maybe I should try this kind. (and watch out for my fibro symptoms returning)

I'm so happy for you about sleeping better, Mary!

Forebearance
  10. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

I saw your other post where you said that magnesium made your fibro symptons return - isn't that the opposite of most people with FM? I've heard of magnesium helping them but I don't have fibro, "just" CFS, so don't know personally how it would affect FM symptoms.

Maybe you would do better with this type of magnesium (or worse!) You'd probably find out pretty quickly, I noticed a difference I think the first night I took it.

Blood tests a year ago said my magnesium was low (even though I've been taking it for years). I'm hoping I'll absorb this kind better.

It is nice to be sleeping better! I keep waiting for the effect to wear off, but so far so good --

Mary
  11. Forebearance

Forebearance Member

Hi Mary!

I don't normally have fibro, either. "Just" CFS.
    I depend upon magnesium to help me sleep, too.
    And to balance out the calcium that I take.

I get fibro symptoms if I OVERDOSE on magnesium.
    Who knows why?

Yeah, I bet you're right that I would find out pretty quickly if this kind of magnesium would be good or bad for me. As long as I was paying attention, that is. lol

I hope your good sleep continues.

Forebearance
  12. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Protects the brain's neurons from excitotoxins, like MSG, which is in almost everything. If the excitotoxins are not exciting the brain, we can go into the stages of sleep we need.

Love, Mikie
  13. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

which is why I was so glad I had good results with magnesium glycinate. I've taken magnesium in various forms for many years, but my levels were still low and didn't know what to do. Too much causes diarrhea.

So this form seems to actually be making a difference and am hoping it brings up my levels.

Mary
  14. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I'm so glad this is helping you to sleep. Sleep is sooooo vital for us. If you haven't already, try to eliminate processed foods. They almost all contain MSG under disguised names. Any artificial sweetners are also excitotoxns.

Love, Mikie
  15. mbofov

mbofov Active Member

You are absolutely right about MSG. I have avoided most processed foods for a very long time. But a few months ago I went out to a Thai restaurant with family. That night I was very tired, thought I would go right to sleep,and then it just felt like I had a little engine inside revving up and I think was awake until 3:00 a.m. And in the morning found out about the MSG.

I had never had that bad of a reaction before, but it was powerful. I don't use artificial sweeteners either. They are scary for many reasons. A really good documentary about the aspartame FDA approval process is Sweet Misery. It's a neurotoxin, and the political story of how it was approved for human consumption is disgusting - I can't think of a strong enough epithet.

Mary