Sleeping in FM and CFIDS

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by cristine04, May 1, 2003.

1. cristine04

cristine04 New Member

How do you know if you are getting into Stage 4 sleep?? We all know about that morning "crash" feeling to some degree. I have it too and from what I hear if you don't get the right sleep it can have a lot to do with this horrible feeling. So, how do you know if you getting into stage 4 sleep? Do you have to employ a sleep therapist to figure this out? If you sleep straight through for a certan time period without waking, can this mean you were in stage 4 at some point? (For example, 4-5 hours straight). I am lucky to only wake up 1-3 times per night as compared to many others who wake much more often.

any help is appreciated.
  2. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I think most of us with FM (not sure with CFIDS) don't get enought of stage 4 sleep, which is when healing in our body takes place. I participated in a sleep research study so it didn't cost me anything to participate (in fact they even paid me to participate). I wanted to help in the research, of course, but it also gave me some answers to questions I had regarding sleep. I don't get enough of the stage 4 sleep. So that explains why even after sleeping several hours or even through the whole night, I never wake up feeling refreshed. They didn't think I had sleep apnea, although I would have had to go for a study that specifically checked for that, but just by my breathing alone, they didn't think I had a problem with that. I can't remember exactly what, but there is some different equipment they have to attach to you to check for that.

I don't know where you live, but you should check the hospitals in your area to see if they have or know of a nearby sleep center.

Ellen
  3. Shirl

Shirl New Member

I can only tell you from my own experience about stage four sleep.

I never had a sleep study done, I can't even imagine myself sleeping with all those 'things' attached to me when I could not sleep in total confort, but I guess it works for some.

I never slept through the night even as a child, so I know what it feels like to not sleep for more than an hour or two at a time.

I am now sleeping 7-8 hours a night, deeply, by deeply I mean that I am totally unconscious.

I only wake up if I have to go to the bathroom, and sometimes I must be sleeping through it, as I will be 'dreaming' I have to go, when I do wake up it feels like I had been holding it in for hours (so far I have not wet the bed)!

I am taking ZMA (zinc, magnesium, and B-6), thats what made the difference in the sleeping for me.

As for that 'crash' feeling in the morning, well its been better since I am sleeping for a longer period of time, but I still don't wake up like a normal person.
    I am at least out of it for about an hour. I do need that one cup of strong coffee in the morning before I can function normally.

But before the ZMA, I would be out of it for almost the entire day.

Somehow I think that morning feeling has something to do with the FM. I doubt if we will ever completely get rid of it unless they find out the cause.

Hope this helps some............

Shalom, Shirl