sleeping medications can be helpful

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bigmama2, Apr 10, 2010.

1. bigmama2

bigmama2 New Member

just a fyi-

sleep is crucial to a person w cfs or fibro. try natural stuff first- sleep hygine (comfy bed, dark room, cool room, etc), and look into some supps like magnesium, melatonin, l theanine, etc.

if none of that helps- it may be time to consider rx sleeping meds. in general they give one better sleep quality than over the counter sleeping pills.

me- for example- i take some natural supps (listed above) AND rx sleeping pill. (ambien). ambien has been a life saver for me.

i am just trying to say- dont be afraid to go with rx sleeping medications- if you need them. major sleep disturbances is often a main problem with cfs and fibro.

sweet dreams
    bigmama2
  2. tennisnut

tennisnut New Member

After resisting for 6 years. A worrying episode, which I couldn't turn off resulting in such insommnia I was going downhill at the rate of knots. I went to the doctor and got a prescription and that has helped my recover to my (poor) old self.
    I would be interested in knowing from anybody who has been on sleeping or sedating medications for a long time what are the results, ie do you become immune, or new health problems. TN
  3. heapsreal

heapsreal New Member

I have taken alot of different meds for sleep, i need to rotate and change between different meds regularly as i adapt to them quite quickly, usually cant take something more then 2 nights in a row and it wont work, but if i use something else for a night or 2 then go back to original med i get good sleep. I dont think its a tolerance i have built up over the years as this happened in the very begining when using meds for sleep. I had that tired but wired type fatigue and the sleep meds definately helped because without a good nights sleep i felt like crap warmed up. I have improved alot since using valtrex(antiviral) but natural good sleep is something i have trouble with, so i still need sleep meds, my doc is ok with this and understands that most people with cfs have chronic sleep problems.

I wish they would bring a few more new sleep meds to the market as not too many sleep meds work for me, although there are a few meds used off label for sleep that i have found effective like sedating antidepressants etc.

mmmmm sleep, never ending search, lol
  4. Juloo

Juloo Member

I've taken Ambien (regular, not CR) for several years on and off. I've probably been on it for about two years this last time. My dose is 2.5 mg/night. I had my doctor's permission to use it before Xyrem so that I would get sleepy before I took it. I stopped with the Xyrem a long time ago (expense, but it did work great -- would like to be able to afford it), but continued with Ambien. My prescription dose is 5 mg, but I cut it in half a long time ago and would cut it even further, but the tablets are so small that I can't do that.

I am now on zolpidem (generic), but just last week decided to see if I could wean myself off as it would save me some money. I did this while we were on vacation because I was getting a lot of sunshine during the day and felt this would help me get sleepy at night. I took 1 mg sublingual melatonin as well.

Now I've been off for almost a week. For the first few days I had lots of vivid dreams (even more than usual -- and I always have a lot!), but they seem to have died down. I'm starting to drift back into going to sleep at 1 or 2 in the morning instead of 11 pm like during vacation.

I don't know if I'll stay off -- we'll see. But I like not feeling sluggish during the day -- even the small dose stayed in my body a long time like almost all the meds or supplements I've taken.

5. kellygirl

kellygirl Member

25 mg. at bedtime along with Lodine and I sleep great! when I was first dx'd in the late 80's I did not realize I was not sleeping well. The doctor told me it was like sleeping with one foot out of the bed and he put me on doxepin and later I was able to get off of it and take melatonin sublingually.

Today, I take the elavil.
  6. Asatrump

Asatrump New Member

I have taken Ambien for several years. 10 mg. The drug does NOT put me to sleep, so I take valium for that. About every six weeks the pills didn't seem to work, I would stop them 4 or 5 days and use Soma instead, then go back.

For about 3 months now I discovered I could cut the zolpidem/ambien in half with a pill splitter. I sleep just as well using half the dose and now I have not had to stop it, it seems to continue working better than the double or full dose.

About 5 years ago I had assorted crazy symptoms and felt very , very sick. In a long MD visit he listened and said I was severly sleep deprived. A whole new life started from that point. More drugs, sending the king of snore and restless legs to another room, put a box fan on the floor next to my head, hear no barking, no snoring, also a cool room helps. I sleep much better in winter when the temps are consistent. Spring and summer night temps vary /window open /allergy/ and a lovely but dang bird in the tree outside my window singing non stop. Too bad a squirt gun wouldn't reach it!

The length of sleep and quality has a huge part in my pain level and how the next day goes.