Sleeping on a Heating Pad

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by doloresf1, Jun 23, 2008.

1. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Hi Everyone!

My heating pad has a warning attached to it that you are not to sleep on it. And I have never done so.

But, I was wondering if anyone sleeps on a heating pad when needed, and has anyone had any burns from it? If I learn that others do this without adverse results, I'm going to try sleeping on mine for a sore muscle that's really hurting me.

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

2. lillieblake

lillieblake New Member

Yes, I have slept on a heating pad when I had no feelings in my legs, and yes, I burned my legs, but not severly enough for permanent damage.

Not knowing your situation, I might suggest that you fold a towel in quarters and place that between the heating pad and your sore muscle to sleep on it. The heat will seep t hrough and you will decrease the risk of burning.

Good luck. Sometimes those sore muscles can be real buggers.

3. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you for your input.

A towel on top of the heating pad seems like a good idea. I'll try that. The heat feels so good when I'm sore.

I have a microwave gel pack, also one of those "bed buddy" microwave thingys. But, both would be hard to lay on.

Hope you both have a good night.

4. cookie1960

cookie1960 New Member

I would suggest purchasing a heating "blanket". They are about the size of a throw blanket and have 3 or 4 settings. You can sleep on top of them with no problem. I think they also make electric mattress pads that can warm your body from underneath.

My heating blanket is a Beautyrest - but I know Sunbeam makes one as well. Cost is around $30-$40.

5. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

As long as you keep the cover on that comes with it, there is no problem. The new ones automatically turn off after 30 min. I'm constantly waking up and turning it back on. I would be lost without it. I even travel with it.
  6. poets

poets Member

I put it on the L-1 level of my back last night and did just fine. Two nights before that, I put it on L-5 and burned my butt. I really shouldn't do that..................

7. Me and my heating pads are closer than ever nowdays sadly I must admit. I lay on it alot at night, as mine turns off after 30 min and doesn't get too hot.
  8. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank You all for your replies.

The heating blanket is a nice idea. I'll check on one of those when my Fall catalogs come out. Probably cannot find one this time of year. I had an electric mattress pad at one time. It wore out and I found they were very expensive when I went to replace it. So, I did without one.

Sounds like you can sleep on a heating pad if you do it sensibly. Low heat seems to be key.

I'm getting fairly attached to my heating pad too :)

My best to all.
  9. Empower

Empower New Member

I don't think it is such a good idea

Not only from getting burnt, but from a "what if it malfunctions and starts a fire?"

10. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Thank you for your reply.

I was thinking about that too. It's one reason I started this thread. I was wondering how safe you all thought these things are?

Burning my skin is one issue. Burning down my house is another issue.

Still, I never heard of a fire beginning from a heating pad malfunction, have you? Are they less safe than a heating blanket or an electric mattress pad?

Any input is welcome.

11. katiebug61

katiebug61 New Member

I've fallen asleep in my recliner with my heat pad on many times. I've never burned my back yet. I have slept in my recliner with the heatpad on my lower back all nite long and not a problem. You want to keep it low and not on high all nite. My heatpad has ceased to function and I am stopping to get a new one tonite. I can't go on vacation without it! My heat pad and I are very close! :)
  12. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

You go Girl! I'd suggest you get the long model. I have one that is about 28 inches long. The smaller ones just aren't for serious Fibro. in my opinion.

Thanks for your reply. I am definitely less afraid to sleep on my heating pad than I was a few nights ago.

God bless you,
  13. caffey

caffey New Member

Mine has an auto shutoff after an hr. I also wrap mine in a towel and set it on low. My sister has a friend who slept on an electric blanket and got 3rd degree burns. Just be careful whatever you decide but whatever you do don't use those ointments that give off a heat and a heating pad at the same time.
  14. sunflowergirl

sunflowergirl Active Member

but he didn't have a cover.....only the plastic with the direct heat. YOWZA! I've slept with it on high but with the covering on. I wake up when it gets cold and start it up again. I would be lost without my heating pad. I used to have my old model from the 60s which didn't turn off. Now ALL the models are automatic. I have the largest (actually two of them) and they are guaranteed for life. That tells you they stand behind their product.
  15. poets

poets Member

It was oversized, and automatically turned itself off in an hour. I loved it! But one of my cats decided she would bite it. I was making the bed one morning and saw where there were two "fang marks" in it. Thank Heaven it wasn't plugged in. I had to throw it out, and now I have to wait until I can afford another large one. I'm making do with the regular size.

Darned cats. You can't have anything nice!
  16. marti_zavala

marti_zavala Member

can't do without it. I wish I had one from years ago because I have to keep waking up to turn it back on.

Be careful with those heating buddies that are made of wheat berries that you microwave. A woman in the UK died from smoke inhalation as the heating thing got too hot and set her bedclothes on fire.

A heating pad on low should be fine.

17. Honora88

Honora88 Member

Electrical blankets and pads can interfere with your etheric body or aura which may not be healthy.

you can do research online if you wish. Don't know if this is true, but this is what I learned when I was learning REIKI
  18. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

I always appreciate Sage advice. Thank you, Dear! Your input means alot to me.

19. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

Mine turns off after 60 minutes also.

A lifetime guarentee! Wow! You bought a good product.

Thanks for your reply.

20. doloresf1

doloresf1 New Member

That Darn Cat!

Yes, that's a real danger. Lucky it was not turned on. Poor kitty would have gotten a real jolt.

Hope you can replace it soon.