Sleeping while in a flare

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by bevy2most, May 30, 2008.

1. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I have a lot of trouble just falling asleep when I am not feeling well. It is even difficult when I take my sleep rx, my body just won't let my brain turn off.

I don't know if I am explaining this right or not.
    I will just stay awake til 5 or 6 am, then sleep for a couple of hours, and I am still in pain and miserable.
    Why won't my body let me sleep when I am feeling the worst?

Any one have this problem?

2. bevy2most

bevy2most New Member

I take ambien, as needed, and I also take flexeril, but that leaves me feeling hung over.

Thanks for responding,

3. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I take Trazadone. You do have to figure out what dosage is the best for you as if you take too much it can be incredibly hard to get up in the morning.

Does the pain wake you up? That would happen to me as I would wake up with the side I was sleeping on burning. I got a mattress with a topper that is for people who have back problems and is now advertised for Fibro.

I got it from a chain that makes their own mattresses and cuts out the middle man. It was about 60% the price of other mattresses that were just as comfortable. There was a thread about mattresses a while back as there are other alternatives, so you get different opinions on what has helped people. I tried many mattresses in several stores to find the right one.

I can relate to the racing mind. I just hate it.

Take care,
  4. btrekker

btrekker New Member

I too have a busy mind. One where 20+ thoughts are going on all at once and they are usually stressful thoughts. There are times I go weeks without sleep. It seems like sleep deprivation is common with Fibro. I have tried over-the counter, teas and now along with my other meds I take lunesta and Flexerill, but still can't sleep well. So I try to sleep when I can. Usually am up until 2 am, sleep a few hours and then wake up. Then may sleep for a lot of the day and wake up around 3 or 5 and am awake until the big 2am! I've tried to stay awake all day, but then I get into a real mess because I still don't sleep at night. I am thinking of maybe trying acupuncture to see if that helps. The best to you.
  5. DeborahLynn

DeborahLynn Member

Hello, Bevy! After trying different anti-depressants to help with symptoms of fibro, (none of which helped with pain), my rheumy suggested I try melatonin for sleep. My husband has tried it before, and it didn't seem to help him at all, but for me it works great! I take 3mg OTC about 30min before going to bed, and it has greatly improved my sleep! I actually become drowsy and sleepy, stay asleep most of the night. I still wake up feeling as if I didn't sleep at all, but at least I no longer toss and turn, being miserable all night!

Another really good thing about OTC melatonin is that it is very inexpensive.

I hope you find something that works for you, because not being able to sleep is miserable!

Love and prayers,

6. teacher

teacher New Member

I have CFS/ME and I'm up at 3:00 a.m. EST as I write this. I haven't slept well for about a week and I don't think I will unitl Saturday.

My brain won't shut off right now either. I have discovered that when I'm extremely busy and/or tired or when I'm hormonal, my brain doesn't/can't relax and I can't sleep. And let's not talke about the times I'm really busy, really tired and hormonal at the same time. :0

Lavender baths help but sometimes I hurt too badly or am too stiff to think about getting out of the tub, much less into it! :) lol

The warm water at the lovely smell are quite relaxing. Add some Epsom salt to help ease the pain a bit. Ahh. I have fallen asleep in the tub a couple of times, so be careful.

I also take calcium before bedtime and that usually helps, but not when I'm overly tired.

I find I do better once the highly stressfull stuff that's going on at the time ends. That's why I'm counting on Saturday. School will be closed for the summer and my niece's graduation from high school will be over.

I hope you find a way to sleep. Lack of sleep doesn't allow anyone to feel good.
  7. dragon06

dragon06 New Member

I have lots of problems sleeping when I am in a flare up. Normally I take Halcion and this works to put me to sleep but during a flare up sometimes that doesn't work. That's the whole thing with a affects all the parts of our illness.
  8. dafoefan

dafoefan New Member

Bevy, I think sleep is such an issue even if not in a flare. It is so important to have a doctor willing to prescribe enough medicine to cover the worst situations.

I can't take vicodin after 5 pm, as it keeps me awake.

When I am not in a flare, I take a soma, klonopin, and OTC Simply Sleep.

If I am in bad pain or a flare, I replace simply sleep with Tylenol PM and add another 1/2 soma. If it's real bad, I take another klonopin.

With these meds I do great unless it's a full moon, then I can't sleep at all.

I hope you find something that works for you. It stinks not being able to sleep--just makes everything that much worse.