sleeping???

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jewelbabecj, Jan 16, 2003.

1. jewelbabecj

jewelbabecj New Member

Can someone please tell me what has given them sleep relief? I have been given different antidepressants to help, none have. I can't fall asleep, and when i eventually do around 3 or 4 am i wake up every 20 min. it is really starting to take it's toll on me. Rheumatologist says keep taking the sinequan, but i need sleep now, just 1 good night please???
  2. HURTSALOT2

HURTSALOT2 New Member

I too, cannot get to sleep for hours. I lay there seems like forever even when I have taken medicine. I have tried Elavil, Sonata and Trazodone. Nothing seems to help me get to sleep. When I tell the doctor about this they just cannot belive that I am still having trouble getting to sleep. They just keep trying different types of Rx. I am so tired most of the time from lack of sleep. Hope you find something that will help you. Take care.
    HURTSALOT2
  3. Fibromiester

Fibromiester New Member

...Unfortunately, and for a while, I either got no sleep or only a few hours, which really did me in, immune wise. I got sick, Plus being tired! My Dr. put me on "Seroquel", I think it's an anti-depressant, and I don't care, it really knocks me out! And I'm calmer during the day. Fibromiester
  4. Shirl

Shirl New Member

The very worst symptom of these illnesses!

Here is what I take, and hope you get the same results as I do;

6pm; Xanax (0.25 milligrams) only at this time, its for 'racing brain syndrome', I could write a book at night thats how much 'junk' keeps racing through my mind.

10pm; ZMA (2 capsules) (zinc, magnesium, and B-6) This is the jewel of them all! I started ZMA 11 months ago, since then I sleep 7-8 hours deeply every night! It took about 10 days to really see the results. The longer I take it, the better I am sleeping.

Right before bed; Melatonin (3 milligrams) this helps me fall asleep in about 1/2 hour.

Both the ZMA and the Melatonin can be bought at Pro Health. If you buy ZMA anywhere else, be sure it is the product put out by SNAC, and no, GMC does not sell this brand, and GNC's brand does not help with sleep, I tried it.

HOpe this helps. I spent a lifetime not sleeping, and I have taken half a drugstore, meds as well as OTC's, nothing worked for any length of time.

But the ZMA did the trick! Good luck!!

Shalom, Shirl
  5. anneW

anneW New Member

I had that problem then someone on here suggested this combo. It was sold at GNC as Sleep Formula, but they don't sell it any more.
    It is affordable and easy to take and natural.
    1- 2-3mg melatonin
    1- 50mg 5-htp
    I take 15-30 min before I want to sleep for the night and haven't had problems since!
    I don't promise anything, but it has saved my life!
    Anne
  6. teach6

teach6 New Member

Along with my tramadol for pain and toprol for NMH I also take the following at bedtime:
    Klonopin, 1.5 mg
    Flexeril, 10 mg
    Trazadone, 100 mg
    Neurontin, 1400 mg

Barbara
  7. 1Writer

1Writer New Member

1-.5mg Klonopin
    2-25mg Benedryl
    I also listen to a CD of thunder and rain and it relaxes me and I usually fall asleep in about 30 min. I also put a cool wet wash cloth across my eyes to keep my body temp down...going thru menopause...and I run 2 fans to help mask my tinitus...keep your room really cool and that way you can cuddle w/covers and relax to the soothing sound of rain...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

1Writer
  8. catgal

catgal New Member

Now I take Soma which is an excellent muscle relaxer and also helps with pain and .5mg of Klonopin--both about 30 minutes to an hour before I go to bed.

Not only do I sleep well, but the combination of the Soma relaxes my tensed up muscles, and I can feel my body unwind in places I didn't even realize I was tense in. The klonopin makes me feel sleepy, does away with restless legs, and keeps me from tossing & turning all night.

In the morning, I wake up and my body is not stiff, sore, or inflexible. My mind is clear--no hang over feeling, and I feel calmer, more relaxed in general, things don't get to me as easily, anxiety is decreased, I don't feel tired or like a herd of elephants ran over me, and I function better throughout the day. I only take these meds at night, and have been taking them for 2 years without any problem of physical dependency or any negative side effects. But, I could not take the generic klonopin--it knocked me out, and I felt hung over and sluggish all the next day. So, I buy the Name Brand klonopin--and have no problem with it at all.

Other things I did that helped before I started the meds was to take a nice, comfortably hot soak in a tub with epsom salts and eucalyptus oil while I sipped on SleepyTime Herbal Tea. Then, when I'd get out of the tub still wet, I'd slowly & thoughtfully massage each part of my body with moisturing oil or lotion paying particular attention to my feet. Then, I get my gown or robe out of the dryer that I had put in to get nice and warm while taking my bath, and then grab a good book, kick back, and relax. It is also important to have your bed fixed up soft and comfy. I like to turn on the overhead fan to have air circulating--then slip down under plush, fresh, clean bedding with a body pillow between my legs and a good supportive pillow for head and neck. I also tried the supplement Melatonin--3mgs 30 minutes before bed. It worked well, but after taking it 3 days in a row--it started making me feel depressed the next day.

Hope you find some relief soon. I know how miserable and frustrating it is to not sleep, and in the morning feel totally exhausted, worn out, and as though you've been hit by a mack truck. Best Wishes, Carol...