Sleepless nights What do you do when you can't sleep?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kriket, Oct 29, 2006.

1. kriket

kriket New Member

I stayed awake all night last night. I finally went to sleep at 6:00am, which normally would have been 7:00(time change) I hate the time chane also, looks like they could find one time and leave it alone!!! So, what do you do when you can't sleep at all throughout the night?

Kriket
  2. painintheeverywhere

painintheeverywhere New Member

It is non-addictive and works. It is the same ingredient in all of the PM meds (Tylenol PM, Exederin PM etc...). The Doctor's and Pharmacist have told me just to buy the Generic Benedryl capsules. I take two when I am sleep deprived and I really do sleep through the night.

I try to only take it when I cannot get to sleep because I do not want to take any meds more than I have to. Hope this helps - plus it's cheap!

Jane
  3. ladykew

ladykew New Member

Hi, Kriket,

Most of my nights are like that. I usually end up sleeping off and on all morning, but not restfully.

However, I found out what my problem is. I just went to a sleep study, and found out I have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. I'm waking up every 3 minutes. It has my sleep schedule off so badly that my days and nights are all mixed up, and I'm exhausted.

I qualified for a CPAP machine, so I go back one more time and they will put it on me while I sleep so they can regulate how much air I need to keep my airways open. I hope that solves my problem.

Do you suppose you have such a problem? I've always known that I snore, but I had no idea I wasn't getting all my oxygen and waking up 27 times an hour. How long have you been having this problem?

Would you consider a sleep study? It tells a lot about your sleep. Not just sleep apnea, but Fibromyalgia, and how many times your brain has "arousals" without you waking up.

Hope this gives you something helpful to think about.

Peace and best of health,
    Lew

4. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

One bit of advice I received (I can't remember from where - it was a medical source, anyway) was that if you can't sleep after 15 minutes of trying, get out of bed and do something boring until you get sleepy. I don't know if this is good advice or not. If you're awake anyway and you really can't do anything about it, it's good not to stress.

My sleep cycle rotates between several weeks of being awake in the day, followed by several (less fun) weeks of being awake at night. Night time has its charms. It's pure "you" time. You can do whatever you want, knowing you won't be interrupted. Free computer access, etc. TV shows are different than during the day. Watching it snow at night is very beautiful. Sunrises are a popular feature.

Really, with our electric lighting and other conveniences, there's not much that you do at home during the day that you can't do at night too. The exceptions, of course, are phoning people and making noise. Reading's always good.

(( )) Shannon