SLIM FAST, EXERCISE AND FIBRO

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by dsames, May 9, 2003.

1. dsames

dsames New Member

Hi everybody:

I HAD been feeling so well, after taking Magnesium Malate, Fish oil caps, and Vitamin B-12 liquid, that I thought maybe my Dr. made a mistake with my dx.

In April, I was my granddau's coach in childbirth, was there for 13+ hrs, and didn't feel badly at all, then going all day Sunday on Easter Sunday, and doing more around the house.

This Wednesday, I decided it was time for me to take off some #, ( siince I could not fit in any of my clothes) so I started Slim-fast, as well as walking on the treadmill, 8
    minutes a day. Now I don't think 8 minutes is a lot of time, I would consider that startiing slowly. However last night, things began to take a turn for the worse so to speak. After I walked, my arms began to hurt, my chest hurt (as it always does with costo), if I apply pressure on the breast bone and rib cage and they hurt, I dx myself, as I have had this condition for a long time) and I was so fatigued. Hurt most of the nite, so I took pain pills, which I don't have to do often. This morning I stayed in my bathrobe until noon, so exhausted.

I wonder if it is the Slim-fast, the exercise plan, or both.

Maybe my body just wants more food to eat than is allowed on the diet plan, although I doubt that is the problem, since I never really felt hungry.

Need some help.
    Shirley
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Is full of carbs, just what we don't need. If you want to lost weight, fell better, and be healthy, it's generally better for us to choose one of the low-carb diets. Drinks like the Slim Fast can spike insulin in the body and make us feel really lousy.

The Atkins and Suzanne Somers diets have been helpful to many here.

Love, Mikie
  3. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi

I tried slim fast and that was of no help to me because I was hungry.
    I believe the exercise is what caused your problems more than the slim fast. 8 minutes sounds like a small amount of exercise but it is not. Believe it or not 1 or 2 minutes is all you can start with.
    As for weight loss, I lost 45 pounds on Dr. ATkins last year. I didn't feel better physically but I look better. (although feeling better was the goal) I do think it helps at the Dr.'s office since they tend to think we are fat and lazy instead of sick !
    Good Luck
  4. Princessraye

Princessraye New Member

Hi

I tried slim fast and that was of no help to me because I was hungry.
    I believe the exercise is what caused your problems more than the slim fast. 8 minutes sounds like a small amount of exercise but it is not. Believe it or not 1 or 2 minutes is all you can start with.
    As for weight loss, I lost 45 pounds on Dr. ATkins last year. I didn't feel better physically but I look better. (although feeling better was the goal) I do think it helps at the Dr.'s office since they tend to think we are fat and lazy instead of sick !
    Good Luck
  5. dsames

dsames New Member

BUMP

I am bumping this on Saturday, thinking there might be more people on the board. The info I have received is great, but would really like to hear from more people. I know I need to change something, but what.

Miki, why is carbohydrates so bad for us. Had never heard that before, Is it because Carbs convert to sugar? I have worked in the medical field for approx 13 yrs as a foster care provider for senior citizens, and now I am one LOL therfore I know sugar does some bad things to us.

Thank you all for your help. I have learned some valuable info here.

Love Shirley
  6. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Many, if not most, of us are hypoglycemic. Everyone who is even 10 pounds overweight suffers from insulin resistance which is the precursor to Type II Diabetes.

If we continue to consume carbs, our system will release spikes of insulin, but our bodies become resistant to it and the fat starts packing on. Our cholesterol and all lipids get worse and often, our BP increases. As this happens, we can exercise less and less and the weight gain also puts pressure on our joints. This all causes a downward spiral ending in obesity and Diabetes. This downward spiral is called Syndrome X. There is a very good book on nutrition for Syndrome X. It is the most important book I have ever read.

We need to avoid processed foods and eat fresh veggies and fruit. Eating natural fats from meat, poultry, fish, and dairy do not cause our cholesterol to increase. We need to avoid sugar in all it's forms (except limited fruictose and lactose), white flour, white rice, and white potatoes. All these can spike insulin as can starchy veggies like corn, carrots, some beans and peas if we eat a lot of them.

The Atkins or SomerSize Diets are good low-carb regimens for most of us. I've lost 24 pounds on the Somers diet but have plateaued there. Within 8 days on the diet, my BP went from high/normal to low/normal. All my lipids improved at my next doc appt. after my labs were done. My cholesterol went from 191 to 168 and the good cholesterol to bad cholesterol ratio improved.

Love, Mikie
  7. loopyloo

loopyloo New Member

I find that if i do any thing strenuous then im ok on that day and the next but by the 3rd day i pay for it, for some reason it seams to take 48 to 72 hrs for the pain to kick in so i think you have over done it i did read some ware that you should not push through pain and i think when you are ill you need a good healthy diet as with slim fast as soon as you start to eat normally again the weight goes back on i have been on it several times and im now probably fatter than when i started, but at the moment i just feel so tired all the time i dont have the wheel power to start any thing.
    keep healthy the natural way with nice healthy foods
    ((((big hugs))))
    hope you soon feel better
    from Loopyloo xx
  8. Chelz

Chelz New Member

I tried the slim fast thing too. This drink does have too much sugar, as others have said, sugar spikes the insulin too much. So many of these drinks and energy bars are LOADED with sugar. I have been trying to find bars or drinks that have stevia in them, but no luck. I use the liquid stevia in my decaf coffee, but you can't find it in snacks or other beverages. My guess is that the artifical sweetner companies out there wouldn't like us to know about stevia because their profits would go down, just a guess on my part. Stevia has been used for centuries in Europe with no problem, hmmmmmmm, makes you wonder. Chelz.
  9. dsames

dsames New Member

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my post.

I expect I will be altering my diet somewhat.

If you go to the Slimfast website, they do have some great sounding recipes, that I would like to try.

Have a great nite and a Wonderful Mother's day.

Love Shirley
  10. lassiecass

lassiecass New Member

Hi Shirley,
    I tried Slimfast and was not successful with it either. I then turned to Scarsdale and have been pretty successful with it and also I go to Curves. I have found that walking really takes a toll on me and I end up paying for it every time. I don't mean just your everyday stuff, but a nurse at my rhuemy told me to walk the mall twice a day. That makes sense right especially since I work and that is impossiable time wise. It just goes to show you that not every medical person understands this DD. I lost almost 20 of the 30 lbs. I put on when the Doc. gave me Elivil and Flexeril. I quit both because the extra weight really made it tough on the old knees and feet. Also Chinese accupucture helps with the pain in the legs and feet and swelling. Good luck to you, hope this is of some help.
    Soft Hugs,
    Sandy (Cass)
  11. pam_d

pam_d New Member

Slimfast is loaded with sugar!

And diets are very individual---many here like the Somers or Atkins; way too much fat/protein for me, plus I'm allergic to so many of the foods one eats on those. Some like the Zone diet, Devon Starlanyl recommends that one. But we are all so different in what our body needs or has too much of, I don't think anyone can make a blanket recommendation.

One thing that seems to help everyone---lots of good water! Makes you feel full, too...

I have lost fifteen pounds now in the past 2 1/2 months, but for me, this is the result of cutting out all dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, starches like potatoes & corn-----because I found out I'm allergic to these things. I eat a balanced diet heaviest on fresh veggies, some fruit, fish, chicken & turkey, some brown rice & wild rice. Never liked sugar, so I didn't eat that anyway. NO processed foods-----the list of ingredients in them is a mile long, and sure to contain several things I'm allergic to.

I'm putting on clothes I never thought I'd fit into again. And they're too big.

For me, this weight loss came as a happy accident---- the result of finally being tested to see what I should be putting into my body & what I shouldn't be. Glad I found out, because other diets never did a thing for me.

I applaud you for trying the exercise-----I've slowly been figuring that if I can be disciplined in one area, I should be able to in another, so more exercise is next for me! Maybe 8 minutes IS too much just at first----maybe even 2 minutes to start, then increasing it a minute every day or two??

LOL----my favorite part about the Slimfast ads, or any other diet product ads on TV, is the little disclaimer at the bottom of the screen "RESULTS NOT TYPICAL". Think there are any Slimfast users out there whose results ARE "TYPICAL"???!!

Good luck & hope you feel better tomorrow!
    Pam