Slow Cooker Zesty Mexican Potato Soup

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AnneTheresa, Feb 10, 2008.

1. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

This is another great soup recipe.
    It's easy to make, nutritious and it freezes well.

7 large potatoes, with skin
    5 tbsp cilantro
    1 onion, raw, sliced
    2 vegetable bullion cubes
    8 cups water
    Juice of 1/2 lime or 5 tbsp. of real lime juice
    Salt and Pepper to taste
    1/2 tbsp. chili powder, or to taste
    1/2 tbsp cumin, or to taste
    3 cloves garlic or 3 tbsp. of dried/powdered garlic
    2 tbsp. olive oil
    1 cup green pepper, chopped
    1 cup dried bean (or dried vegetable) soup mix

Wash and cut all veggies into rough pieces and put in slow cooker, leaving skins on.

Combine all recipe ingredients in slow cooker with water (omit or add some water depending on volume of ingredients in pot).

Cook on high until all ingredients are soft-about 2 -3 hours.

Then, using a hand blender or potato masher, puree/mash all ingredients in cooker until smooth or desired consistent.

Continue cooking on low until all flavors have combined and you're ready to eat!

Serve plain or topped with grated low fat cheese, hot peppers, yogurt and/or fresh cilantro leaves if desired.

2. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Hi Anne Theresa,

This sounds very good too but I see that this recipe also has the dreaded vegetable boullion cubes in the ingredients.

I had to go to three stores to find it.

I also made your other recipe bean/cabbage soup, I believe it was. It was wonderful.

However, I do have to ask you if these veg. boullion cubes are the same size as the chicken and the beef ones. I wasn't sure ow many of them to use as the ones I bought was extra large they said on the package. I could not find anyo others thoug.

Thanks for the recipe.

3. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

This definitely sounds like a keeper- we'll be trying it soon! Thanks for the recipe....

4. AnneTheresa

AnneTheresa Member

I use the vegetable bullion cubes made by Knorr. These cubes measure one inch by one inch. You could probably use chicken or beef bullion cubes instead of the vegetable. Take care, Anne Theresa
  5. Granniluvsu

Granniluvsu Well-Known Member

Ann e Theresa,

Thanks, I think that is the ones I got, actually the only ones I found. The next bet was I was going to add a pkg or so of the Knorr veggie soup/dip mix which they also did not have in two stores. I found it in Krogers after going to Wal Mart and the Brookshires here in Tx.

Sounds like a yummy soup. BTW, did you add the full amount of chili powder? I know it is to taste and you just have to fool with it till you get it the way you like it, as in Chili recipes. They usually tell you to put so much in and I just put what I want in. Howeever, I do like things a little zippy since we lived in Louisiana and now in TX. Both areas have lots of spicey foods which I finaly got somewhat used to after moving from NY about 30 years ago.

Thanks again for the recipe. Always looking for soething fairly easy and delicious (and different).

[This Message was Edited on 02/11/2008]