Slow heart rate..who has it and what is your condition

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by CanBrit, Jan 10, 2008.

1. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Hi there:

I had me ECG done last week. I haven't heard the results yet but my test did show my heart rate at 58 which indicates bradycardia.

I have FM. Is it related to this condition or do some of you CFS'ers have it also?

Do you notice any symptoms with it?

2. jess

jess New Member

Hi, yes I have this also. My rate is usually 58. They have found that I have diastolic dysfunction. They found this with a regular echo cardiogram. I don't know however if this dysfunction is related to the slow heart beat. I also have high blood pressure and my meds do lower my heart rate. Although, it was still always in the normal range until the last year or so. Sometimes I feel light-headed. Not sure if that's from the lower rate. Have you seen a Cardiologist?
    Dr. Chaney says all prople with CFIDS have diastolic dysfunction or at least most of us do. Hope you get some answers, Jess
  3. LaQuiet

LaQuiet New Member

Is Diastolic Dysfunction the same as an "irregular heartbeat"? Because my doc says I have and "irregular heartbeat"...
  4. Risk

Risk New Member

Hi Eileen. I too have bradycardia (slow heart rate). Normal resting pulse is about 56-58. When I wore an event monitor back in June, I had one incident where it dipped in the low 50's. I didn't notice anything. The cardio called me the next day just to ask what I was doing around 8 the night before because that's when the incident occured. I didn't feel differently. They don't seem concerned. I have FM and CFS and I know alot of people on the boards suffer with just opposite tachycardia. Wonder why some us have slow heart beats while others are fast???

Take care,

5. Waynesrhythm

Waynesrhythm Member

Hi CanBrit,

I have a normal resting heart rate of around 50. For many years it was around 40, and as a teenager it was in the mid-30's.

My doctors have been amazed over the years by my low heart rate, but never expressed alarm about it. I had come to believe that it resulted from having an "athlete's heart", where it functions so efficiently that it doesn't need to beat as often. After being unable to jog for so many years without a significant increase in heart rate to normal, I began to wonder whether this was the case or not.

I recently did some research on the 12 cranial nerves exiting the brainstem and discovered that the vagus nerve controls both heart rate and volume. I now believe that I had a compressed vagus nerve since a whiplash injury as a teenager, and having an Atlas adjustment at least partially relieved some of this compression.

The followiing website:

has a diagram of the 12 cranial nerves and lists some of the functions of each. Any of these many functions can become impaired by a compressed or compromised cranial nerve.

Regards, Wayne
    [This Message was Edited on 01/11/2008]
  6. sueliza

sueliza New Member

My doctor noticed right before christmas that my pulse was low - 48. Said I should follow up after the holiday. I went to a doctor and he did an EKG that was abnormal and sent me to the cardiologist that afternoon!

They did a 24 hour holter test and an echocardiogram. The holter showed I had over 11,000 pvc's in 24 hours! The echo did not show anything that would cause this. My pulse is usually in the low 40's.

I then had a stress test and the pvc's went away as my heart rate increased, which is good.

So what they have said is that my heart is in bigeminy or trigeminy all of the time. This means that every other, or every third beat is a pvc and can not be felt in my pulse.

I tracked down an EKG I had in 2006 and it showed the same thing - except back then my pulse was in the 50's. The EKG then was done for a research study and the doctor didn't tell me about the abnormal EKG!

Let us know what your results show. GOod luck.
  7. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

Thanks for your feedback guys. Before all this craziness, my heart rate used to be in the 70's.

All my life I've had the occassional skip beats (I suppose those are called PVC's), but this is different. I'm still waiting to see if I hear from my Dr. I do know that people who are hypothyroid tend to have lower rates. I am on medication, but I don't think my levels are low enought yet. down to 30 beats per minute!!! Do any of you wear a pacemaker?

8. lizritchey

lizritchey New Member

My heart rate seems to be getting slower and slower. It drops under 50 sometimes. My dad had POTS and had to have a pace maker.

I was dxd with FMS in 96 Discoid Lupus in 06 and this past year I had a problem with my left side. Was tested for MS wgich was negative. BUT... my neurologist now thinks I have an irritation of my vagus and/or some other cranial nerves.

I also had a few whiplash injuries as a teen and young adult. Ended up having a disectomy in 2000 where they went in on the left side. I may have something called Lupus vasculitis but I'm wondering if the surgery may have something to do with it, especially since they went in on the left and I had some resulting permanemt nerve damage.

I wonder what the best course of action would be to try to normalize the cranial nerves. Maybe Chiropractic and exercise would help open the vertabrae?
  9. gapsych

gapsych New Member

I had bradycardia when I was taking a beta blocker. I passed out and ended up in the hospital.

Are you on any meds. that could be causing this.

I did not realize that anything under 60 is considered bradycardia until I was in the hospital.

A low heartrate is sometimes seen in athletes. Something I am sure few of us could qualify for.

I also have a friend with a low heartbeat. He has had every test done including heart catheterization when they thought he had a blockage from his EKG reading. He was fine and the cardiologist said it is very rare to get a false positive on a blockage.

Let us know how you are doing?

10. Manaleon

Manaleon New Member

With a betablocker my heart rate is at 90, without the medicine it goes up between 120 and 140. My blood pressure has always been good so that limits how much betablocker I can take.

I did have two episodes where my heart rate dropped to 40. They were very scary. Both times I had been under a lot of stress because family members had decided to pick fights with me. I went into an asthma attack and I believe that was my body's way of saving me because the asthma meds makes my heart rate skyrocket.

I know there's a lot of people here was either high or low heart rate. It really makes me wonder if there's a connection to fibro, cfs,and lyme.