Slug Bugs Q

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by budmickl, May 2, 2007.

1. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I have an abundance slugs on my porches. Just small concrete pads. But somehow they are getting into my house. I have stepped on them in the kitchen in the dark. Anyone know how creepy that is??

I know salt will get rid of them but that is so gross and mean.

I know they are attacted to beer but I don't want bowls of beer around the house, my dogs are goofy enough.

Any suggestions what I could do to keep them outside? I just don't want them in the house!

2. Fmandy

Fmandy New Member

Wow were you barefooted? Ha ha ha. Maybe try putting a tiny line of salt along the threshold of your doorways. Get some double sided tape and stick one side to the floor and sprinkle salt on the top side. That would keep the salt in place.

My 2nd choice would be to hire a slug rustler....

P.S. I just saw the sweetest post you made on the makeup thread :) It really picked me up and made me want to give you a big hug...I sure wished I had a brother for you. I would send him your way fast! Stay sweet :) Hope I didn't embarrass you. I wish I would have read the post a few days ago...[This Message was Edited on 05/02/2007]
  3. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I have some double sided tape (carpet tape) so I am going to try that. Since I have dogs, I can't put anything out that will harm them.

And yes... I was barefoot when I came in contact with the slugs. I was so glad there wasn't anyone around to hear me squeal like a girl. Oh wait, I am a girl so it's OK that I squealed!

My 2nd husband was one of those guys who noticed the little things. He told me one time, you need to go shopping, your bra's are shot. I took it as he was spying on my every move. In reality, he was doing the laundry so he knew what I needed and he was encouraging me to take care of myself. Somehow thought, that wasn't enough to make up for his short comings. It's OK you don't have a brother, I'm just glad to know men like you are out there!

4. Mini4Me

Mini4Me New Member

When I read the title to your post, I had a picture in my mind that you were going to ask a question about Volkswagon Bugs (called slug bugs by kids)!

Sorry, I don't have any answers about real slug bugs, but I did own a '99 VW Bug for several years and could give you advice about them!LOL!
  5. budmickl

budmickl New Member

I know, I thought about that too - the Volkswagon! I was hoping to catch people's attention with the title.

I thing the new VW's are so cute! I would entertain the thought of buying one (a convertible of course) when my car konks out. But my dad is so against import cars, I might have to wait till he is gone.. Funny how at age 53 we are still honoring our parents, eh??

6. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I'm so glad I wasn't the only one who thought of Volkswagen Beetles!

Hope you don't get slugged by your slugs, bud!

Choose joy!
  7. joyfully

joyfully New Member

Horticultural grade diatomaceous earth. Is there a crack where the concrete pad touches the foundation of your home? Sprinkle some down in the crack. sprinkle where you think they are hiding during the day.

Don't put this in your home, get them BEFORE they come into your home. Do you see where the main slime trails are outside of your home? THAT area is where to sprinkle the diatomaceous earth. Do a light coat. Reapply after rain or after about 3 weeks. It will also kill snails too. I use this instead of snail slug bait because I have a doggie too. She is squirrely enough to eat ANYTHING!

Don't breathe the dust. It isn't a man made chemical. It is a finely ground powder of some ancient sea bed stuff. When ground, the microscopic particles have very sharp edges on them. You won't be able to feel the sharp edges because this stuff is as fine as flour (and looks like flour). I use this product for snails. My neighborhood is innundated with oyster snails. I've killed thousands of snails with the powder.
    [This Message was Edited on 05/03/2007]
  8. budmickl

budmickl New Member

Yes, on the back there is a gap between the house and the porch. You say it won't hurt the dogs? Then I'll get some tomorrow. I can't stand stepping on another one. EEEWWW. GROSS!!!

Thanks for the info!

9. joyfully

joyfully New Member

I spilled some on my garage floor and my dog has shown no interest in it. She eats everything. I swept it up, but there is still residue.

If you pour it in the crack, the dogs can't get to it even if they wanted to.

Some people use this as a flea preventative on their dogs. I personally wouldn't do that because I'd be concerned about it drying out or irritating their skin.

If you put some on a piece of typing paper and then tap it into the crack, you won't have much on the surface anyway. What does land on the top will be tight up against the house, so your dogs won't even be stepping in it.

Their first step onto the porch from the house will be several inches out from the crack.

Note, horticultural grade is different than swimming pool grade. They are processed differently and the structure is different.

You can read about it at:[This Message was Edited on 05/03/2007]