SLURRED SPEACH HELP

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Fibrolady37, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

Ive become aware over the last 3 months that my speech is very slurred.
    Its very frustrating & im very embarrassed about it its awful.
    If anyone has any answers or advice please get in touch i will be really grateful.
    Im scared coz this is happening & i dont know why i do it.
    Take care & may god bless you & YOURS.
    Fibro;ady37.
  2. fifthofanickel

fifthofanickel New Member

Tylenol, by the next day my speech is slurred & hesitating. So I only take it when in real distress..Can't tolerate other meds due to my other maladies. Could it be a med that is causing this? Just a tho't.

Blessings;
    Fifth
  3. jole

jole Member

Hi there~ Wish I had the answer for you. Have you been taking any new meds by any chance? Is it all the time or only occasionally that your speech is slurred? Have you talked to your doc about this?

I don't really slur but am more clear sounding at times than others, and know that is the FM. But definite slurring would have me worried. I hope your doc has the answer for you - from your bio it seems you have had your share of problems in your lifetime, and I am sorry for that.

Best of luck to you!
  4. flwrlady2004

flwrlady2004 New Member

I've had slurred speech before - it comes and goes. About 2 weeks ago I was very tired, again, and tried to take a nap. I never can really sleep, it's more like I'm in and out of sleep. Sometimes I feel like I'm awake and want to move, but can't and then I feel like I'm in some kind of coma-like state. Anyway, when my husband came home I heard him and got up and starting talking, or should I say, tried talking, because I knew what I was trying to say, but it was not only slurred, it was all jumbled up and backwards and I even knew I was dropping some words. I freaked because I really thought I was having a stroke of some sort, but I didn't have the droopy face or anything else really that would indicate a stroke. After 15 minutes or so it got better, but that was the first time my speech was that bad. I have no idea way it happened, but I do remember having a pain in my head that day which I have had before. I've had them on both sides of my head at the same time and sometimes only on one side. No one seems to be able to tell me why and I've had MRI's done before which are supposedly normal. I say supposedly because I'm not sure the doctor's know what they're looking at where I live. How can someone have pains in their head (which I never had before the FM/CFS/MCS) and not have anything wrong is beyond me? I know this really doesn't help you much, but you're not the only one this happens too. I think my head stuff is getting worse too - I've had this crap about 4 years now - UGH!!

Take care and best wishes!
  5. Cinlou

Cinlou New Member

Fibrolady37,

Does your tongue feel numb when this happens? Do you have a hard time swallowing? Do your legs feel weak?

I know of someone that had the slurring of words ever so often. He had other issues of leaky gut too. Anyway, he was sent to a Neurologist for nerve study because of the symptoms. Thet found he had myathesia gravis (sp) or MG as they called it.

I would go have this checked out to be on the safe side.....with fibro you just do not know if a new symptom is something else.

Let us know what you find out.
    Take care,
    Cindy

[This Message was Edited on 04/25/2007]
  6. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

Dear Fibrolady,
    When I was first diagnosed with ME, and had just gone through a crisis, I had trouble with my speech, too. I used to be able to speak Spanish. At that time in my life, I found that I couldn't pronounce it. My tongue just wouldn't do it. At that time I thought I would not ever be able to speak Spanish again.

Well, with lots of rest and taking of supplements that my Dr. prescribed, that is no longer a problem. I've also been carefrul to stimulate my brain and eat things that are good for it, like berries, etc....

So take heart. While I would suggest going to your Dr. for some tests, It could very well be the effets of ME, (I didn't have Fibro at the time), and could very well disappear..

Good luck,
    Terry
  7. poeticbobbi

poeticbobbi New Member

I haven't experience the slurred speech, but at times I stutter and my jaw does some odd twitch thing as well as a nerve twitching under my eye.So I don't know if FM is causing these things or your meds but check with your Dr.,in the meantime, HANG IN THERE, we'll all get there together.
  8. deettah

deettah New Member

slurred speach and or stuttering that I realized I was doing. And I was embarassed too becaused I was always so proud at how articulate I was. So sorry you are going through this.
  9. saved630

saved630 New Member

I know I do that at times. But I studder more. I can't think of easy words to put in my sentence to say what I"m thinking. Very emmbarasing. Your not alone
  10. revlcb

revlcb New Member

When in major flares I too slur my speech. It's as if my tongue is lazy...it is a muscle after all.

I also have experienced the stuttering as others have. In that same area I've experienced muscle cramping under my chin and jaw area making it very difficult to swollow so I happen to choke on my own spit quite often. Boy, that's embarrassing!
  11. CanBrit

CanBrit Member

When I'm in a flare, I find I have slurred speech or have trouble saying things. It sounds sometimes like I've been drinking!

I don't know what happens but I do know it's a FM thing. Thank God my family understands but I'm sure some people I work with wonder what's going on.

I've called my boss Norma many times and her names Norah!

All the best,

Eileen
  12. Fibrolady37

Fibrolady37 New Member

fifth thank you so much for your reply its really good to hear from you.
    Im not taking any new meds it happens on & off it really scares me coz i dont know what causes it.
    Ive told my doctor he didnt say anything i was so angry im going back 1st thing monday & i wont leave till i get some answers!
    may god bless you & yours.
    Fibrolady37.