Small fiber neuropathy

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by featherme, Oct 12, 2008.

1. featherme

featherme New Member

I have recently been dx with small fiber neuropathy. In researhing it I found that fibromyalgia is a cause. Is there anyone else out there who has this with fibro as the cause?
  2. findmind

findmind New Member

What test showed this?

3. featherme

featherme New Member

I went to Mass General and they put me through some testing. One was a sweat test that showed decreased sweating and small fiber neuropathy.

My feet started with it a long time ago but no one did anything about it - just thought I had cold feet and poor circulation. About three months ago I started with numbness in my left hand. It went to my right shortly thereafter and then the extreme cold came in both hands. The cold and pain has progressed up both arms and occasionally into my chest area. The pain was great. Often extreme heat would follow. The burning was unreal.

I've been put on a pain patch that stays on for three days and then I replace it for another three, etc. I use lidoderm patches for breakthrough pain. It has helped the pain - it's down about 70%.
    [This Message was Edited on 10/13/2008]
  4. findmind

findmind New Member

Thank you for telling us about the test that showed decreased sweating, but surely there were other tests done also?

I am so glad they found out the source of your pain, and I hope you continue to get such good pain relief with the various patches you use.

Thanks again, this may be valuable to someone else...

5. featherme

featherme New Member

The decreased sweating test proved the small fiber neuropathy. A tilt table test was also done but not correctly - no doctor was present, just two techs. As soon as I was put in a standing position they asked how I felt. I was nauseous. They kept asking me how I was feeling - not so well and then my right arm and shoulder went limp and they lowered the table -lasted maybe 20 sec. tops. They didn't get enough data to find out why my heart wasn't filling up so it was a waste of time. I saw the computer which showed a high red line coming up and then a rapid decline until they put me down.

Hope to go to another place and try again.