Small pox vaccine starting right now in florida

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by JaciBart, Dec 4, 2002.

1. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I see the vaccine is now being done in Orange County Fla.

The Sheriff's office for one is currently undergoing it on a voluntary basis, if you want I can post the article, it was from abc news and a florida newspaper.

Just wanted to let you all know and we should keep an eye on this, I will keep you all updated.

Jaci
  2. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I see the vaccine is now being done in Orange County Fla.

The Sheriff's office for one is currently undergoing it on a voluntary basis, if you want I can post the article, it was from abc news and a florida newspaper.

Just wanted to let you all know and we should keep an eye on this, I will keep you all updated.

Jaci
  3. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

When I was a kid, it was just routine to get Smallpox vaccinations. We never heard of anyone's dying from getting it, but some had some pretty bad reactions, mostly infected vaccination sites. They never seemed to take on me and I cannot find a vaccination site. I wonder whether this means I would not get it if exposed? I also wonder whether I would react differently now that I have full-blown CFS and FMS.

Smallpox is a horrible disease and I guess I would risk the vaccine if there were an outbreak. It will be interesting to see how the first to take the vaccine will fare. Keep us updated and thanks for the info.

Love, Mikie
  4. dlizard

dlizard New Member

back then... who cared and how would they find out anyway??? Unless there was someone from your family that got a shot and died or your community... you wouldn't have known.. there was no media or medium like this to make people aware of risks... and even more the risks were being identified then and published later,...... think about it ya'll.. I'm taking NO shot until someone forces me to do it!!!Good luck!
  5. kay

kay New Member

Did you all read what ALLART posted? This is one that came from Dr.mericopa (sp)? pLEASE read it and let us know what you all think. I am just going to load up on what he says to get! I wont get it neither. When er had to get small pox, we trusted our govn.or we just didn't know back then what, they were doing to us. NOW we have wised up!! LINDA
  6. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

nor my family if I can help it, one of the warnings on it is eczema, along with the usual immune suppressed people, etc.

I agree that info was not available then, post polio is from the vaccine and we seem to have a lot of that now in the us, I do not trust the govt, sorry but I know too much.

Jaci
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I have changed my mind. I now think that I would insist on the blood test which shows whether one is still protected from past vaccinations and would only take the vaccine if I were in close personal contact with someone who became ill and contageous with it.

BTW, am I the only one who didn't seem to react to the vaccines way back then? I've had horrible reactions to flu shots to the point that I refuse to take them. My Mom never missed her flu shot and she developed Ezcema in the last year of her life at 92. I have to wonder if there was a connection. She had FMS.

Love, Mikie
  8. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Post the article please, I see no harm or rule again it.

My newspaper is so small town, that if they did have an article I missed it!

I would love to read what they have to say.

No, I am not taking any government shots! I had those vaccinations when I was a child, I must have had them for three or four years running, only the last one took. I still have that oblong scare on my arm.

But I don't trust any of this anymore.

Shalom, Shirl

9. evileva

evileva New Member

I had the small pox vaccine when I was a small child and it took the first time. I think that I would rather risk the reaction from the vaccine than to possibly come down with small pox, especially now that I have cfs and fibro. I don't know if any of us would be able to live through that.
  10. kay

kay New Member

My daughter and I were discussing small pox, and I hate to be so retarted, but what does it mean when people say a shot didn't take and how do they know it didn't take? Linda
  11. pepper

pepper New Member

I thought I would just add my 2 cents worth here. I was born in '48 and our family doctor saw no need for smallpox vaccinations since it had been eliminated almost worldwide. I later found out that it had not been eliminated until years later but my parents were not aware of that at the time.

In my healthy 20's when I was travelling to tropical climates, my doctor suggested I should get a smallpox vaccination for a variety of reasons. So I did.

I WAS SO SICK!!! I missed 2 weeks of work with a terrible flu-like illness and I just wanted to saw my arm off it hurt so badly. I ended up with a very gross-looking HUGE scab on my arm for my whole vacation. I also could not get it wet - no swimming on that tropical holiday! The pain in my arm for many weeks was unbearable.

My point is - if that is the way I reacted as a healthy 25 yr old, how would I react as an immune-compromised 54 yr old? Then again, if a person reacts that badly, does that mean that maybe he/she would be very susceptible to contracting that illness if exposed?

I haven't heard anything about smallpox vaccinations here in Canada and was not aware that it was starting already in the U.S.

We just must be aware that there can be serious, painful and sometimes deadly side effects to many of these preventives.

Pepper
  12. Shirl

Shirl New Member

Kay, I don't know if they do the vaccination like they used to, but they would 'scratch' you with a needle, and then check it later. If it did not make a scab, then it did not take.

Mine did not take after about three trys, so I was 'scratch' again. The last time it made a scab, then it left a scar about the size of a dime. I still have the scar on my arm after all these years, more than I would like to admit!

Mike will be here tomorrow, she will no doubt have more information than I do.

Shalom, Shirl

PS, Pepper is right, I could not get it wet, they put a little plastic 'hood' thing on it, and I could not take a bath! I don't remember if I ran a fever though.
    [This Message was Edited on 12/05/2002]
  13. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

Source: click it news dot com under "emerging diseases" originally from abc news.

Members of the Orange County, Fla., Sheriff's Department have begun receiving smallpox vaccines, a move the head of the department says will eliminate one potential weapon in the terrorist arsenal.

The vaccination program, which Orange County Sheriff Kevin Beary said is completely voluntary, is the first of its kind for a law enforcement department. President Bush is expected to announce federal smallpox immunization plans this week.
    Police are not the only ones who can take advantage of the program in Orange County, Beary said today on ABCNEWS' Good Morning America. It is also open to the general public in the area, and according to the sheriff, the more people who get immunized, the better.

"Everybody asks me all the time, 'What can we do for homeland security?' Well, this is where you can help," he said.

Dr. Ronald Brown, who is running the program, said the benefits of the program will go beyond the central Florida area, because it is tied in with a clinical trial at the medical firm Mid-Florida Biologicals Inc. to develop a treatment for people who get sick from the smallpox vaccine.

"Our program is to help produce a globulyn, which is the medicine you would give other individuals who would have a hard time with the vaccination," Brown said. "In essence we saw this as a win-win situation."

The only way for people to get vaccinated against smallpox now is to participate in a clinical trial like the one Mid-Florida Biologicals is running.

"The sheriff explained that it's a volunteer thing," Brown said. "The sheriff was proactive and said, 'Here's a way to kill two birds with one stone. We can get our troops protected and give back to the communities.'"

The more immediate goal, though, Beary said, was to keep his deputies safe.

"There is a certain vulnerability," the sheriff said. "I guess the best way to look at it is, any weapon is effective as a weapon as long as your opponent can't mount an effective response to it. Personally, I believe the more people who are vaccinated, the less attractive it is as a weapon for our enemies. I think it's important that we all get vaccinated."

Not Waiting for Washington

Routine smallpox vaccinations have not been carried out in the United States since 1972, so Americans could be vulnerable to the disease if terrorists were able to get their hands on the virus.

When the disease was declared eradicated worldwide in 1980, health officials around the world agreed to destroy their samples of the virus used in research. The only samples that were to remain were in U.S. and Soviet national laboratories in Atlanta and Moscow.

After the terror attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, there has been growing fear about possible forms that more terror attacks might take, including the use of biological agents such as smallpox.

The virus is highly contagious, and has historically killed 30 percent of its victims when it was able to spread unchecked by inoculations. Government scientists have been reluctant to call for a new national vaccination effort because they estimate about 1 in 500,000 people will die from reactions to the vaccine.

The federal plan has already included inoculations for 500,000 emergency workers and another 500,000 military personnel, and it is expected that eventually the vaccine will be made available to everyone in the nation.

Beary said he felt that his officers should not have to wait.

"I will tell you that our region in central Florida is one of the busiest ones in the country with Port Canaveral and NASA and the tourist attractions here," he said on Good Morning America. "We thought it was a good idea."

---------------------

14. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

info to come.

Jaci

what I wonder is how can they enforce this, does anyone know exactly how they will do this????

15. sb439

sb439 New Member

I'm not sure, but thought I read this somewhere: whereas the old one doesn't make people who have been vaccinated capable of infecting others, this new one is meant to be more dangerous in that (apart from much worse side-effects) it can do that.
    does anyone else remember this?
    Also, there was this excellent post a few days ago that showed that it's just not true that smallpox are highly contageous, I don't remember it's title, but perhaps this could be bumped up?
    love,
    Susanne
  16. Gigo

Gigo New Member

Yes, it is a NEW vaccine.

The CDC site should have information on its development, etc. There should also be a wealth of reputable information from experts on the internet to check out, including the Immune Support site.

Those of us with suppressed immunity need to ask the top CFIDS/FMS doctors whether or not this is something should have administered, based on our individual situations. Only then can we make an informed decision--when and if the new vaccine becomes readily available. Obviously a live virus could present problems so one question to find the answer to IS IT A LIVE VIRUS? Unbiased research is our ANSWER!
  17. Gigo

Gigo New Member

Yes, it is a NEW vaccine.

The CDC site should have information on its development, etc. There should also be a wealth of reputable information from experts on the internet to check out, including the Immune Support site.

Those of us with suppressed immunity need to ask the top CFIDS/FMS doctors whether or not this is something should have administered, based on our individual situations. Only then can we make an informed decision--when and if the new vaccine becomes readily available. Obviously a live virus could present problems so one question to find the answer to IS IT A LIVE VIRUS? Unbiased research is our ANSWER!
  18. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

You bet it is, they found an old supply supply & diluted & diluted it to guess at the proper strength, then they did the clinical trials which I posted today.

I just may be paranoid about health issues since I got this dd but in my opinion a live virus in any amount is bad news to us.

Jaci
  19. Tweldis

Tweldis New Member

Shouldn't people with our problem stay away from the small pox vaccine because of our immune systems which are compromised? I do know about the skin disorders, but I thought we fell into this catagory..

Thanks
  20. JaciBart

JaciBart Member

I am sorry, I did not mention that, I guess I overlook that one cuz it seems obvious, I read too much news stuff and I tend to take it for granted that everyone else does too, I am sorry.

Definitely could be a problem since we cannot fight off viruses and bacterias and it is a live virus.

Jaci