Smells-Hesitant to post this b'c of possible implications

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Lazy_Susan, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

First of all, let me just clarify, I brush my teeth regularly, so it's NOT even possibly the problem at hand.

This is the second time this has happened and both times, this year. I get this rancid, horrific odor that I start out thinking is somewhere in my house but no one else can smell it. It's indescribable. The closest I can get--and trust me, it won't even come close--is rotten, moldy wood, musty, dusty, urine-y, dead animal smell and I swear, I can sometimes taste it. It has this dry feel in my mouth with almost the feel of dust on my tongue. It woke me up several times last night and turned my stomach. When it wouldn't go away, I sprayed perfume on my wrist and put my wrist up to my nose and fell asleep. Again, it woke me up. The perfume just mixed with the smell. I finally just got out of bed and stayed up. But I can still smell it.

What I'm concerned about is they say people who smell things are crazy. I don't want to be crazy. Is it too late? Maybe. I dunno. All I know is I just want this smell gone. :(

Does anyone else get horrendous odors in your nose?
    [This Message was Edited on 09/30/2008]
  2. erinwilburn

erinwilburn New Member

I have been through the same kind of thing. Do you have IBS or any stomach probs? The reason I ask is because when my stomach problems hit the roof I went nuts over smells. Cleaning everything in the house and to be honest I went tomy Dr who at first thought I was crazy but then tested my stomach and colan and once those things were resolved I am a lot better. I still have a very sensitive gag reflex but it is better. Just one thought butno you are not crazy. I think our bodies have these triggers for a reason and your alarm is going off. Good luck!
  3. Juloo

Juloo Member

Can anyone else smell this when they are close to you?

Do you have sinus problems?

Do you smell other strange things?

How long have you experienced this?

I lost my ability to smell for a while after a very, very bad sinus infection. When it started to come back, I would smell cigarette smoke for a week or so, then I would be able to smell a single aroma again -- like an orange, or shampoo, etc. Smelling odd smells -- it's called something like....umm (can't remember, lemme Google...)

Ooh -- found this from The Smell and Taste Treatment and Research Foundation:

"Each year, 200,000 Americans seek physician care for chemosensory (smell and taste) complaints. Prominent among these complaints are the disorders of phantogeusia (hallucinated taste) and phantosmia (hallucinated smell).

Phantosmia and phantogeusia can be associated with viral infections, head trauma, toxin exposure including dental work, temporal lobe epilepsy, psychiatric disease and in approximately 5 percent of a normal population."

So there look like there are several reasons for smelling odd smells, not just psychiatric reasons.

I remember reading once in a magazine like Discover or something like that a story about a man going in to see a physician because he was smelling a fishy odor all the time. It turned out to be his breath. But it wasn't because he had bad dental hygiene or a sinus infection -- it was because his body didn't make a specific enzyme, and that was why his saliva smelled strange.

I Googled that, too, and it is apparently called:

But a video I found suggests that the person who has it, can't smell it on themselves!

4. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

Sometimes smelling things that other people do not smell is a sign of a certain kind of seizure. I've never heard of it as a sign of someone being "crazy".

You can also get a really rancid smell in your head if you have a sinus infection. In fact, that's pretty classic.

And, yes, a dental infection could do it too but would probably, not always, be associated with some kind of pain.

Have you asked your doctor? Please do! It's not a sign of being crazy!!!

Smelling a bad smell is a symptom; one just feels one is going crazy because other people's sense perception is different than one's own and that feels weird.

It can be a very useful symptom to locate and treat other problems.

Ask your doctor.

Peace out,

ETA Wow, we were all posting simultaneously so there's lots of overlap!

Yeah, re gut as a source. When you smell it, ask someone who really loves you to smell your breath. Tell your doctor the results of this test.

5. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Thank you all. All very interesting responses. I feel a bit relieved just reading them.

First of all, I'm having horrendous stomach problems right now. I never considered that. I do have sinus problems but nothing severe, I don't think. My stomach, I must say, I'm very concerned about. I'll mention it to my doc on the 9th. Thank you so much for your thoughtful responses. *whew*
  6. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

I just went back to edit my post to echo the gut suggestion -- it was a good one.

Check out my test suggestion.

Feel better!

7. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Yikes! That's gonna be embarrassing if it's the cause but great idea. Thank you again.
  8. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

I only smell it in my nose, not from my mouth. You know how you can tell you have bad breath if you breathe with your mouth opened? So if it's in my nose--sinuses--no one else will be able to detect it if close enough to me, will they?
  9. Rafiki

Rafiki New Member

They might be able to since the nose, mouth, gut all connect. Choose your subject carefully... a teenage child would be good LOL! Are you old enough to have a teenage child? A parent would also be good, parents are always up for helpful sniffing. Whoever it is will have to get up real close and personal. Try exhaling through your nose, too. And, if you can belch on someone, bonus! Don't think I could bring myself to do the last one, either as the belcher or the belchee unless the belcher was my child or my dog. Anything for the kids. :~)

I see you've had pain you felt was in a salivary gland and you say your mouth feels dry when you smell the smell. There may be a connection.

It really does warrant asking your doc. (If you're in the US, I hope you have insurance! Watching a doc about uninsured Americans right now:( Anyway, it may be the symptom that will link things together and lead to a way to treat.

Best of luck to you!

10. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Ah yes! The salivary gland pain. It's been going on for about 3 weeks now and it seems to be in my ears now as well. I have painful lymph nodes on both ears since it started. I feel so gross. Yes, I guess I should've thought of that. They could be connected. This is gonna be fun to try to figure out. sigh
  11. PainPainGoAway

PainPainGoAway New Member

You poor dear...
    If you are too embarrassed to have someone smell your breath, you can lick the inside of your wrist, wait a few seconds for it to dry and then have someone sniff your wrist. It's still embarrassing, but it's effective to check your breath.

Have you tried to leave the house, take a walk outside or even sit in a car...if it "follows" you, then it's possible it's from your sinus, tummy, or mouth...

If the smell disappears when you leave the house, then it may be something else.
  12. Janalynn

Janalynn New Member

I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to post - we're all "family" here and nothing is off limits.

It could be in your mouth, but not the classic smell that passes that 'bad breath' test where you breathe into your hands.

Okay, not to be gross, but have you ever pulled a piece of food from between your teeth? OMG, does that have a terrible odor - but it doesn't "show up" on the breath test all the time.Worse yet,have you ever smelled your dental floss? (yes you're all saying WHY IN THE WORLD WOULD YOU DO THAT?? LOL) Sometimes gum problems which you may or may not be aware of can cause strange and bad odors. It has nothing to do with how often you brush your teeth and it doesn't mean you have bad hygiene!

Could anything be coming up from your stomach? Do you have a lot of acid?

I don't know if I'd make a special appt with my Dr., but I'd sure jot it down to discuss on my next appt.

BTW- I do not think you're crazy!
  13. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

Thank you, both. I like the lick the wrist suggestion better than breathing in someone's face. LOL I'll try that.

I floss regularly b'c I know how nasty it can get if you don't. I have a pet peeve about flying on planes b'c I always get someone behind me who doesn't floss and it travels straight to me. ugh So I always try to sit in the very back. But it's a very distinctive odor and nothing like this. This is unlike anything I've ever smelled. It's almost like something dead. I'm leaning toward the stomach since the pain there is so great right now.

I won't make a special appointment for it but I do have an appt on the 9th so that will work. I appreciate all your help, everyone. Thank you for not making me feel stupider than I already do. You're all very kind.
  14. hermitlady

hermitlady Member

OK, this is a little strange, but I remember watching "Silence of the Lambs" and the FBI agents put something like Vicks ointment under their nose so they wouldn't have to smell the decomposing body in the morgue. Gross, huh?

I had never heard of doing that before, but it seems like it would cover up any nasty smell around. Maybe you could try it at night if it's bothering you. I actually like the way menthol smells!
  15. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

OMGosh how could I have forgotten that! We used to do that when we had to go to certain patients rooms b'c of the smell of infection--too gory to divulge. Great idea. Thank you for the reminder.
  16. quanked

quanked Member

occur--just as auditory, sensory, taste and visual hallucinations do.

I am not saying that you r having olfactory hallucinations.

Hope you solve this mystery.
  17. Lazy_Susan

Lazy_Susan New Member

quanked, what would it mean, exactly, if I was having that?
  18. angelscutoo

angelscutoo New Member

I get this everytime I have a sinus infection. I do not smoke but I swear it sometimes smells like cigarette smoke. My family thinks I am crazy when I keep trying to find the smell. I assume I am spelling the odor of the actual drainage but it sure is nasty.

No one else says they can spell it and believe me my 13 year old niece would be honest. I once had my hair cut and fixed and went to see her mom and my niece said "what happened to your hair" so she would be honest.

Once I get on the antibiotics it goes away until the next time. I just recently figured this out so it took me years of looking for the odor to realize it was coming from my sinus cavities.

Good Luck!
  19. greatgran

greatgran Member

I too have this, just yesterday I kept smelling a type of soap, sometimes its smoke, colone or just a weird smell.

Always when this happens its related to my sinuses or I have been in contact with something that triggers my MCS and it makes me miserable.

Not sure if that is your case but when I get the smell I know I am headed for trouble with sinus problems or the anxiety that I get from MCS.

Do you ever develope any physical symptoms?

Hope you find out whats going on.

God Bless,
  20. kitteejo

kitteejo Member

This is to weird. I've been smelling urine for the last three weeks. I keep changing my underwear thinking maybe I dribbled or something. Just a minute ago before I read this, I thought maybe it's in my chair and one of my grand kids wet it. I do have a bladder infection and am on antibiotics so many be it's coming through my skin or my breath too.

I have trouble handling all kinds of smells, have to cover my noise sometimes.

No, Lazy Susan, your not crazy and now I know I'm not either.