SMELLS Which ones really make you sick

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by kch64, Mar 17, 2006.

1. kch64

kch64 New Member

I was just reading a post about Sheryld's husband cleaning his guns and the smell made her sick.

Which smells really bother you most?

I can't stand a lot of perfumes, paint smells especially oil, Ben Gay (eeewww). Ben Gay gives me a headache.

Which ones offend your nose?
    [This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
  2. kch64

kch64 New Member

Me too. I hate smoke cigarette or cigar.
  3. musikmaker

musikmaker New Member

perfumes
    Exhaust fumes
    household cleaners
    Garden/lawn chemicals
    Cigarette/cigar smoke
    Basically anything that is real strong and not natural
  4. kch64

kch64 New Member

I hate diesel fuel odor too. and also, the smell of newly asphalted roads.

Oh YUCK....I hate when it's warm and they start working on the roads and you get stuck in traffic beside the asphalt truck and the smell is horrible.

Always makes me sick.

Tks.
    Kendra
  5. dani78xo

dani78xo New Member

any chemical smell gets me.
    i went to the salon and couldn't figure out why i felt so sick afterwards...
    i finally did, and it was the chemical smell of the dye they were using on my hair.
    it absolutely killed me for days.

other than that, anything strong smelling, like perfume, is absolutely horrid. i can't wear my perfume anymore, it gives me a headache.
  6. FMhurts

FMhurts New Member

car exhaust takes my breath away,
    and cigarret smoke,
    and mens colongne ,
    and when my neighbors burn leaves, it sufficates me.
    I can be going driving down the road , and smell car exhaust and feel like someone put a bag over my head.
    its very uncomfortable.

I had to add coffee to mine and bleach,
    bleach has over taken me many times while useing it.
    my son wears bod cologne and its like the worst smell, he'll hug me good by in the mornings and I have to hold my breath, I'm glad he's trying to impress his girl friend buttttt...
    the kids smelly thing is funny, cause my youngest son he can have some of the stankiest feet of all, he's 17.
    I think he forgets his socks or something, and those puppys turn into something fierce.
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2006]
  7. SherylD

SherylD Guest

Well....Gun Cleaner!!..LOL

Smoke
    Kerosine(sp) heater
    Pet oder..cat pee...wet dog..gross( sorry to all the pet lovers)
    Peoples breath
    That plastic iron-on on clothes
    My husbands gas...LOL...Sorry but true..I have thrown up before..
    Sometimes when I go to Subway..it really stinks to me..
    Paint

I do hair...I know the chemical bother me..but I just live with...thinking of quiting.:(

I could probably go on and on...Cuz there are a lot of things that really make me feel ill...I am very sensitive to smells...
  8. Lolalee

Lolalee New Member

These really bother me and some give me an instant headache:

strong perfume or men's cologne
    cigarette smoke
    chemicals for garden
    incense
    jasmine
    gardenia (I love the flower-have several bushes-fragrance is too strong)
    paint

9. justlooking

justlooking New Member

definitely perfume
    bathroom deoderizing spray
    fingernail polish
    public bathrooms
    exhaust fumes
    windex

These will all give me an instant headache! There are few I can't think of right now

[This Message was Edited on 03/17/2006]
  10. rachel432

rachel432 New Member

this one is really wierd but i get nauseated from the smell of coffee being made. i don't know why but it has been happening to me since i was a kid.
    rachel
  11. memawwade

memawwade New Member

Petroleum based products such as oil based paint, most glues, most perfumes, cigarettes, almost any strong odor. Although some odors seen strong to me when normal people don't even notice them. I start wheezing before I see or recognise a cigar. Oh yes, I got a free sample of the wipes for fibromyalgia pain relief ( got brain fog, can't remember the name). It had camphor and after scrubbing the stuff off as it really burned, I could still smell it everywhere. That was really bad!!
  12. rosemarie

rosemarie Member

Pine Sol cleaner. My hubby thinks that it makes the house smell really clean and fresh and it burns my eye's and lungs. I can't stand cigerette smoke, chemicals, dry cleaning soutions, the smell of hot tar on a hot summer day.

Somethings don't bother me and some really do like perfume on old ladies. What ever it is it is so strong and takes my breath away.

Rosemarie
  13. joyegail

joyegail New Member

The one thing that gets to me the worst is Chlorine, whether in bleach, or Tilex, or the chlorine tablets in my pool. My daughter has to put them in, I start getting sick if I even open the bucket. And I find I have a really bad problem with incense of any kind, it gives me an instant headache. There are other smells that bother me, but those are the ones I absolutely have to avoid.

Deb
  14. Shannonsparkles

Shannonsparkles New Member

Chlorine bothering people? Duh, it's poisonous!!

My brother loaded our dishwasher today using chlorine dishwasher liquid instead of my eco-friendly stuff, and with the washer door closed and the machine not even turned on, from 30 feet away I could smell it. Lucky he didn't turn it on before I found out, or my lungs would be burning for hours.
  15. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

people who do not take showers/baths regularly.It seems these people always have the need to stand by me in a checkout line at a store.I almost gag.
  16. jhmitch

jhmitch New Member

Smells I just can't stand...

1. Sauerkraut - can't stand the smell of this stuff cooking.

2. Solvents - nail polish remover, etc.

3. Certain vinyl plastics - I used to work in a plastics factory and got migraines.

4. Sulfur - rotten egg smell

5. Sour milk

6. Women with way too much perfume or men who drench themselves in cologne.
  17. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

worst for me, knock me in my bed.

Oil too. Smoke, I hate but it doesnt make me ill neither do perfumes.

love
    Rosie
  18. KewlJewLs

KewlJewLs New Member

Cigarette smoke while I am around it, and once I get home..my hair, skin and clothes <GROSS>

The only other offesnsive smell to me aside from the obvious (person's gas, wet dogs, certian chemicals) Is............GARLIC!! I have thrown up smelling Garlic cooking and or on the breath of someone.
    and Go figure my whole Family loves anything cooked with it.

I do hair part time and the chemical smells to me aren't offesnive or make me ill. Perm smell can stink up my home for a few days, (Salon in my home) but the smell of a client's hair or breath can make me rethink my career choice in a heartbeat!!!

Things that make ya go Hmmmmm!! =)
    Stacey
    [This Message was Edited on 03/18/2006]
  19. Adl123

Adl123 New Member

What aa fun post!

I'm lucky that ordinary smell don't bother me. However, When I was 3 years old I was put in a boarding school. The food was really different from what I was used to, especially the soups. I used to get sick afer every meal, except Sunday breakfast. To this day, the smell of institutional vegetable soup is intollerable. Once,as an adult, I smelled it as I was entering a Hometown Buffet Restaurant, and I had to leave immediately. It's. funny how some smells bring back memories.

Terry

20. kch64

kch64 New Member

Thanks for sharing everyone. Keep em' comin. This is interesting.

I never got sick with smells until I worked at a cosmetic counter one Christmas when I was 18 yrs old.

I started having vertigo at that time. I believe the perfumes were neurotoxic to me.

Kendra