SMOG and getting sick???????

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by sofy, Jan 22, 2003.

1. sofy

sofy New Member

I lived in greater LA Calif till I was 20 and was a very sickly kid. Missed long periods of school and had to miss a whole year when I was 13. Always complained about the brick on my chest when smog was real bad. Left town when I was twenty and got healthier every day I was gone. No real health problems till 48. Lived in pretty clean air all those years. Did go back and spend about a month shortly before coming down with poly myalgia rheumatica at 48. It came on in an instant. Any ideas about a connection between living in very bad air quality communities and being sick?
  2. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

I lived in the Denver/Boulder area all my life til moving here 5 1/2 years ago. Every year at this time, I suffered from chronic sinus infections, bronchitis, asthma, and pneumonia. The thin, dry air in Colorado is by far worse than the smog in CA when the temperature inversions back the smog up against the mountains.

I now live in SW Florida where the gentle warm, humid air is wonderful for me. It's like having a full-time humidifier.

Love, Mikie
  3. lunabella

lunabella New Member

i think the problem is this country (probably the world in general)-- is that we are just simply in a severe state of denial. we love our cars, and even when we don't-- our cities have sprung up around highways, so it's nearly impossible (especially in most newer cities, built after the 50's) to function w/o a car. so whether we like it or not, we are addicted. not only is it causing so many ecological problems, but it is making us sick- to some degree or another. but no one wants to talk about it or deal with it, or find a better solution (those who do are clearly still in the minority) because we all don't have time to think about it-- we've go to rush to work to pay our bills & feed ourselves & our kids, and get things done, etc. etc. etc....!!! meanwhile the problem only gets worse, esp when we have politicians who don't consider it a priority... *sigh*

the only defense we have, other than to use your VOTE to support candidates who DO consider it a #1 priority, and to live in a city that is walking/bike friendly-- which would mean one that is not so spread out... and one that has STRICT emissions laws, and is in a geological position that allows for the cleanest air possible...... is to get as much exercise (which does NOT mean jogging next to smoggy streets!!) in the fresh air as possible, hike in the woods (which is a lung-replenishing environment, as trees filter the air for us), and make sure our diet is optimum for cell renewal, waste renewal, antioxidant activity and lung repair. our poor lungs are TRYING to do their best, the least we can do is support them as much as possible.

there i said it, i'll keep trying to live it... ;)

on that note, i hope you can find some solutions that are helpful to you... and if i were you, i would avoid going back to LA (or other high-smog places-- check websites for EPA standards, the cleanest cities, etc.) !! it makes me sad to think about how beautiful it must have been there once, before we humans ruined it... *sigh*

~lunabella

4. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

Fuel cell powered cars are here now and will be in regular production soon. They make their own fuel and do not pollute.

Love, Mikie