Smoking and FM

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by 99, Aug 2, 2003.

1. 99

99 New Member

I know that smoking isn't good for anything, but I'm curious whether anyone has noticed a drastic improvement in their symptoms when they quit?
  2. IacheIache

IacheIache New Member

I want to know too.
    I havn't quit.
    I smoke.
    I hate it.
    I definately think it makes me feel sicker.
    Maybe if I heard that its helped a fellow fibro-sufferer,
    it might help motivate me to quit.
    So that was a very interesting post to me, and will wait for answers to that!!!
    ~Thea~
  3. pam_d

pam_d New Member

I'm so proud of you for trying! I've never smoked, so I can't even say with any knowledge how hard a thing it is to quit, but I've had several friends who have quit & from their experiences, I can respect what a very tough challenge you have taken on. Just like your gardening, they associated having a cigarette with some activity; my brother-in-law still can't attend Baltimore Orioles games in person, it reminds him too much of a smoking activity! Good for you, though, I'm rooting for you all the way!!!

Hugs,
    Pam
  4. Mrs. B

Mrs. B New Member

and quit about a month before I was diagnosed this past March. But, like most of you, I already FMS symptoms before I had name for them. I feel SO MUCH better after quiting. My persistant cough is gone as is the ache in my lungs and on my back in my lung area. My back muscles still ache but, not my lungs. I can breath more easily also. I had x-rays taken about 3 weeks ago and by the grace of God my lungs are almost completely clear again. It is so wonderful to be able to take a deep breath. I hadn't even realized how shallow of breaths I'd been taking until I stopped smoking. I wasn't on any meds when I tried to quit and used welbutrin from my doc to stop. It took less than two weeks. I still occasionally get the craving but, it passes within 10 to 15 seconds.

Lisa-
  5. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

I don't know if quitting will really help my CFS symptoms, except that I'm sure it interferes with the oxygen level transported to our cells or something. And I do want to try guaifenisin(sp?) and you cannot smoke because of the salicylate issue.

Good for you cookiemonster!!!! You made it through the toughest part! After 72 hours the nicotine is out of your system.... (A friend of mine quit using both the patch and the gum, which you're not supposed to. Two years later he was still using the gum, but only once piece a day.)
  6. zggygirl

zggygirl New Member

Hi,
    i quit after smoking for 20 some years and quit for 10 . Started 2 years ago again! Stress is my trigger and my mind saying NO just didn't kick in like it always had before when the SH%$@# hit the fan.

I do not remember feeling better though I did not have FM at the time.
    But I felt better about myself for doing it.
    EAch of us has a way that works. For me it was the patch. I could not have done it without it. Fortunately I had a pharmasist who was really into the idea of medication via the skin and I had to try 3 different ones to find one that worked. he always took back the ones I couldn't use!
    I guess it was meant to be.
    Now I just have to find the strength to do it. If I ever get a comfirmed DX of FM (and not spinal compression) that just might do it as I would like to try the Guai.
    Good luck Cookie!!!! Hang in there. It really is the hardest the first 3 days. I remember I stayed pretty well intoxicated the first day to avoid the craving. Funny thing was at least for me with the patch alcohol was not a trigger!
    Then I quit the patches on my B-day after 4 weeks and spent the day crying and drinking- dumb choice the drinking. I couldn't figure out why I was so up and down every minute.
    Well that was a long time ago. Now I can't even drink a glas of wine without getting a hang-over so I'll have to use an alternative plan *G*
    (the Wellbutrin made me too tense)
    You must be proud!!!!! One day, hour, minute at a time.
    Ziggy

[This Message was Edited on 08/02/2003]
  7. Mikie

Mikie Moderator

About 20 years ago before I got sick. My stepdad died of a heart attack brought on by his emphasema and when I saw his nicotine stained fingers in the coffin, I decided I had better quit if I didn't want to end up like him. He was a chain smoker and also a doctor--go figure.

He was also my uncle because my Mom married brothers. His brother was my biological father. That makes his problem genetically my problem, so I felt I needed to reduct that risk.

I loved smoking, but I am so glad I quit, not just for the health benefits, but psychologically it is great to not be chained to a pack of cigs. I smell better now too.

Good luck to all who are trying to quit.

Love, Mikie
  8. kmelodyg

kmelodyg New Member

Yep, I admit it, and I know I am going to get a buch of lectures. I have been smoking for the past 10 years. I hav quit here and there off and on, never lasting more than a month. The trouble is, I keep saying, I'm just going to wait until everything calms down, my stress level is down. But that time never comes. I think if I quit, I would just flip out!! My nerves are already shot, I cannot imagine what it would be like without smoking! It really does calm me down. I have tried wellbutrin, and it did make me stop smoking, but I had a bad reaction from the med. While I was on it, it was the first and only time I had every seriously contemplated suicide, so scrap that idea! I tried the gum as well, but it got me very sick and dizzy feeling. So , I may have to just have to stick to my own guns. I am stubborn, so it is just going to take one day, waking up, and saying, "that's it!!!" Nobody lecturing me is going to change me. My mother and 20 yro sister, whom I live with, both smoke. And my mother is a Breast Cancer survivor! She has the beginnings of Emphysema too! How sad is that!! I know, I know..........

Kathryn
  9. jofla

jofla New Member

and felt better. But by hubby didn't quit so i had started up again. This was last year. Now I am down to 1 cigarette a day and just can't seem to get past that one. My hubby still smokes, but i am determined to succeed this time. All that smoking does is make me feel sick. Yuk I hate it.
  10. elaine_p

elaine_p New Member

If the gum made you sick and dizzy, you were chewing it wrong. Um, they do write instructions for a reason. ;-) (I'm being a snot, I know. I didn't read instructions if I could help it until I started writing them myself! :)

Just letting you know for any future attempts. I am not going to lecture anyone on smoking, though I do tell my young cousins to NEVER start, and wish I had the chutzpa to tell young people I don't know to QUIT NOW.
  11. isee

isee New Member

In 1996 I had my third relapse(CFS), after 5 yrs. in remission - virtually no symptoms. I began resumed smoking after 4 yrs of not smoking, and after 6 months I got sick, with all major symptoms: fatigue, muscular aches, and brain fog.

I believe it was a major factor in my relapse. My brain and thinking became increasingly cloudy, and the cramps in my fingers and toes, returned, almost always after I had a cigarette.

I finally stopped again in 1997, when I realized I had full-blown CFS again. Now, and afterwards, until my recent, and last relapse a year ago, I get more mentally confused, anytime I'm anywhere near smoke.

Stopping smoking was key to my recovery, I believe...

Unfortunately, it's not the only stressor that can occur in our bodies, so I got sick again. This time I believe caffeine overload, as well as a poor diet, contributed heavily to my relapse.

I can understand how hard it is to stop, though. If I hadn't gotten sick again, I never would have stopped drinking coffee, which I adore!

Anna