Smoking dulls my MCS and viruses dull all my symptoms - why?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Bunchy, Nov 11, 2008.

1. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

This is on the back of my MCS post about chemical fragrances and alcohol.

I am an on-off smoker nowadays - I smoke when I get stressed out real bad by these DD's and their consequences on my life. I used to be a full-time smoker.

So yesterday I smoked because of all this stuff with alcohol and fragrances bothering me heaps and noticed my MCS was better (except for the racing heart).

I was researching why this might be online - well, I already knew cig smoke dulls the olfactory nerve response (the nerve in your nose that makes you smell things) but I also read that smoking dulls autoimmune responses too.

I've been convinced that a lot of my problems are due to autoimmunity for a while as some bloodwork (ANA,RF,SED RATE) keep coming back high. Also just the symptoms I've had in recent years make me believe that anyway. I've always felt my immune system is attacking my nervous system.
    When I have a virus (in other words something else for my immune system to concentrate on) most all my symptoms lessen while I have the virus.

Now, what I want to know but couldn't find an answer to is how do I achieve these dulling effects without having to smoke or get a virus???

Love Bunchy x

PS Hope I haven't offended the non-smokers here as I understand this might be a bit controversial.
  2. kbak

kbak Member

Hi Bunchy,
    Everyone has some kind of vice or something to help them get through. Actually nicotine is a tranquilizer, so I'm not surprised it helps. The only thing to work as well as the cigs would probably be drugs. You might want to see if a nicotine patch would work, because if it did you could get the same effect without inhaling smoke.

Take care,
  3. 3gs

3gs New Member

hi bunchy

yes iam a on off smoker too. having a heck of a time quitting this time.

did you know that nicotine also helps with pain? have noticed that if i get a cold etc my symptoms go away and i have more engery. go figure!

don't know answer to question wish i did

4. libbyann

libbyann New Member

Bunchy, don't feel bad about smoking, there are a lot of people that still smoke. I have stopped two times for six months at a time. when I am so tired, and also have a lot of pain, thats when I want to smoke. Its really hard to stop when you don't feel like doing anything else.
    I don't know the answer to your question, but I wanted to let you know you are not by yourself about the smoking. I know smoking can't be any good for us but what is.

5. goofgirl

goofgirl New Member

I felt like I was in better health when I was a smoker!! I'm not saying I would ever start again, quitting was still the best thing I ever did, but I feel like I got "sick" less, fewer colds, viruses and sinus infections. When I did get sick though, I would always get bronchitis really bad... I also didn't start having symptoms of fibro/CFS until two years after I stopped smoking, and wasn't diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis until after I quit. It's just ironic, I guess...
  6. Zenith_Z

Zenith_Z New Member

Gosh I wish they would put the non-addictive, non-toxic kind of nicotine they have developed for their trials into cigarettes once they see how it works. That would be great! And, would probably help people quit smoking....after smoking non-addictive cigaretts for awhile, it would probably be easier to stop don't you think?

And Bunchy, I'm not offended......I am a smoker and I don't want to be......which is probably true for a lot of us......but I guess I'm not in the right mental place to actually quit. I feel awful enough that the thought of going through that right now makes me panic.

After my last visit to my lyme doctor and what he said to me about putting toxins in my body for my system to deal with while it's trying to fight off lyme.......he made me kind of feel like i don't deserve to get well because i smoke. that i am a waste of money and wasting my money traveling to see him when he is prescribing meds to make me well and they are not working as well because i'm still smoking....anyway, it is not a nice way to feel. Like I said I do not want to be a smoker but I am and I guess I am not ready?able?mentally stable? enough to go through quitting because I haven't. I actually after his lecture which made me cry said in my defense because I couldn't think of anything as there really isn't anything to say besides yes, i know you are right, but I can' that it's about all I have to do all day. That's sad, but pretty much true anymore.
    Interesting article.
  7. Bunchy

Bunchy New Member

Sadly nicotine gum etc doesn't have the same effect of dulling the olfactory system :(

I'll have to settle for being an on-off smoker for now.

Still wish I could figure out the virus/ feeeling better connection tho.

Jam - don't start with nicotine, it doesn't work that well for pain, I think the effect is mostly psychological.

I want to answer everyone but I'm too fogged right now - thanks for your feedback tho.

Love Bunchy x
  8. cfsgeorge

cfsgeorge New Member

I have CFS and cannot drink alcohol or smoke cigs because of intolerance. they make me puke. i've looked into medical marijuana for it's relaxing, sleep, increase in appetite, anti-depressant and anti-nausea benefits, but i know the smoke will just make me wanna puke.