smothering/short of breath with OUT chest pain

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by gumama, Mar 8, 2003.

1. gumama

gumama New Member

does anyone experience this feeling.. my neighbor has this a lot her Dr told her to pull her shoulders back and open up the chest cavity for more air but she's so exhausted that its difficult to do this exercise.

she has had all the heart tests and they came back negative.. on the days she is like this she feels very off balance,weak,and dizzy.. her body feels like Lead.!!!!!

thanks
    Sandy G.
  2. teach6

teach6 New Member

How nice of you to ask for your neighbor. Her symptoms sound very familiar to me. I would suggest she look into dysautonomia. There are some recent posts on this which I will bump up for you.

Barbara
  3. Madelyn

Madelyn New Member

It's the worst symptom for me...I hate it. The cause is still mysterious. It doesn't seem to be heart related. I've had various tests. My Dr. says that the air doesn't get passed to the tissues correctly with some CF people. You are breathing correctly but the air isn't absorbed well. Also, though, some of us tend to breathe shallowly instead of deeply. I work on this. Look up posts on deep breathing here.
    The one thing that has helped a lot is diet. I had to cut out sugar and go low carb. When I eat sugar or a lot of carbs, esp. "white" things, I feel like I'm smothering. This really worked for me; I don't feel this way much anymore. Eat protein, vegs and fruits mostly.
    Hope this helps.
    Madelyn
  4. karen55

karen55 New Member

can cause that, too. I've been taking Zanaflex and Elavil at night for sleep, and it works GREAT. But I also take Paxil during the day. I'm on a minimum dosage of Paxil and Elavil, and there's been quite a few discussions here on mixing anti depressants, etc. I thought I was doing fine, but after several months of these nightly meds I began to have those symptoms. I cut out the Elavil and they disappeared. I did take it last night with my Zanaflex because I only slept for about 2 hours the night before and had a really bad day yesterday, so I wanted sleep, no matter what.

5. gumama

gumama New Member

Thanks Barbara.

how sweet of you to bump up the answers for me.. this lady is a gem and everyone loves her.its so sad to see her so miserable.. I have printed out the info and will give it to her..

Thanks again.

Sandy