Snap ,crackle and popping joints

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Sheila1366, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Sheila1366

Sheila1366 New Member

I sound like a bowl of rice cripsies now a days.Is that normal for fibro.'s to crack and pop in your joints?I use to never hear and feel these things.It concerns me.What actually makes a joint crack?

Sheila
  2. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

the back of my neck makes some awful creaking and cracking noises, wonder if my heads going to fall off. lol.

I dont know why our joints creak, I get it in my knees too but not so bad as my neck.

love
    Rosie
  3. moonlightkitty

moonlightkitty New Member

It's officially called 'crepitus'. Is that not the ugliest word in the English language?!!! Ugh, crepitus.

Here's a definition and explanation:
    "Crepitus is a clinical symptom in medicine that is characterized by a peculiar crackling, crinkly, or grating feeling or sound under the skin, around the lungs, or in the joints. Crepitus in soft tissues is often due to gas, most often air, that has penetrated and infiltrated an area where it should not normally be (for example, in the soft tissues beneath the skin).

Crepitus in a joint can indicate cartilage wear in the joint space. The term "crepitus" is taken directly from the Latin "crepitus" meaning "a crackling sound or rattle." Typically crepitus is a grinding noise coupled with a sensation in the affected joint. Crepitus can occur with or without pain."
  4. EllenComstock

EllenComstock New Member

I've had this a long time-in my neck, ankles, knees, fingers, etc. It's so loud at times that my husband can hear it across the room.

Ellen
  5. LollieBoo

LollieBoo New Member

I have had this since teenage years- when I stand up it all sounds off! What bothers me, is when a joint "sticks" and I have to pop it myself (elbow and hip) ugh.

And I'm only thirty!!
  6. Dee50

Dee50 New Member

My neck below my head does that and my big toe on my left foot. Both are cracking at the same time I guess they are partners. but i don't snap, crackle and pop all the time and it doesn't hurt. But i'm sure where is a relationship there I'm looking for the reason (acupressure, reflexology ect..)
    Take care
    Dee50
  7. lauralea443

lauralea443 New Member

my arms, neck, ankles, knees, i sound like a 90 year old woman.

My doctor says that as long as there is no pain with it '
    it's no problem, but if so get it checked

Laura
  8. I'm cracking too all the time.
  9. Nanledaroe

Nanledaroe New Member

I've had the snap, crackle and popping in my shoulders for years now and over the past several months it's started in both my knees. I guess it's just part of getting older.
  10. JLH

JLH New Member

I asked my rheumy about all of my snap, crackle, and popping joints and he told me that it was the famous sound of arthritis!!

Janet
  11. Shadowsfire

Shadowsfire New Member

My knees are very arthiritic and sound and if you put you hand on my knee you can feel it. And sometimes they crack when I stand up. Sometimes it hurts but mostly it doesn't.
    My neck started doing that crackly sound too a couple years ago, but I have noticed that since I started going to the chiro weekly the sound when I turn my neck is all but gone, as is the pain in it. Wish he could fix the knees....