snoring badly-anything except CPAP?

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by jaynesez, Jul 26, 2009.

1. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

I have begun snoring badly, to the point of waking the household! I sleep on my side due to back pain, and I do have allergies. I use nasal spray before I go to bed, only to wake up unable to breath through nose. Have heard now that CPAP's are a "scam" don't know if that is true or not, but I can't sleep with anything over my face. Can anyone share their experience, what you've tried, what has helped? My throat is so sore I can barely swallow, and I'm so tired.
    Thanks for any advice you can give.
    Hope everyone has a good day!
  2. holiday16

holiday16 New Member

He did the breathe right strips first which helped a bit, then the mouthpiece which helped more (but kept breaking) and then had a sleep study done and now uses a CPAP. The CPAP was life changing. No more snoring and much more energy. He did have the mask over his face first which didn't work well and they sent him a new one which looks odd, but only goes over the nose. I'm sure you could google it to see what it looks like.

It is a pain having to use it, but even going one night without it my dh is very tired the next day. I would highly recommend the sleep study. My dh was very surprised to find how many times he would stop breathing at night. There were many times he would stop breathing for so long I woud shake him to make him start again. It also interferred with my sleep so much I went in a horrible tailspin from lack of sleep and that was probably the worst point of trying to deal w/ my FM. Very ironic that his sleep apnea was one of the worst things that affected *my* FM.
  3. richvank

richvank New Member

Hi, Jayne.

I don't have CFS or FM, but I do have sleep apnea. My symptoms were as follows, before I knew what I had:

Waking up with a snort or a gasp
    Having a headache and ringing ears every morning when I awakened
    Loss of short-term memory--I couldn't remember the details of what happened yesterday
    Dangerous driving--I would drive through stop signs without realizing it
    Feeling very tired and groggy during the day, and needing a nap in the afternoon

The symptoms got worse when allergy season arrived for me.

My doc sent me to a pulmonologist, who sent me for a sleep study and clinched the diagnosis.

I first had a CPAP, but now I use an APAP, which automatically adjusts its pressure, depending on what is needed.

I tried several types of masks and a humidifier, but I finally settled on the nasal cannula type with an elastic band to hold my mouth shut when sleeping. With this setup, I don't need a humidifier. When I set it up to breathe through my mouth, I got extremely dried out during the night, and had to use a humidifier in the air hose. I decided that was not the way to go for me. With the nasal cannula type, I can sleep on my sides without the mask coming loose, which was not the case for the bulkier ones that fit over the mouth. Sleeping on your side is helpful in obstructive sleep apnea, because sleeping on your back contributes to blocking the airway, because gravity pulls the back of your tongue down.

The use of this setup has really been a lifesaver for me, literally.

You mentioned that the CPAP machines are a racket. I think that the way they are handled, that that's true. I really don't think a person needs a sleep study for the diagnosis. If you have the above symptoms, and a CPAP machine helps you, I think it's safe to say that you have obstructive sleep apnea. The way my insurance company handled these machines, going through a medical equipment supplier, was also kind of a racket, I think. By the time you wait for them, and end up paying the copays, etc., and having them conceal the instructions for adjusting the pressure from you, I don't think it's a very good system. When I switched to the APAP, I just used a copy of the prescription the pulmonologist gave me, and I bought one off the internet. They aren't cheap, but I think that's a better way to go, if you can. Now the pressure adjusts automatically, and I don't have all the hassle.

I think the way they justify this is that they are not sure a person will really use the machine over the long term, because it takes some getting used to, and lots of people just won't do it. So first they set it up so you are renting it, in case you decide to turn it back in. In my case, it made such an improvement for me that there was no way I was not going to use it!

Also, it's a fact that it's important not to use a pressure that's too high, because it will interfere with the ability of your heart to fill properly with blood during the diastolic stroke, and I think that's how they justify taking the adjustment instructions away from you. But the maximum pressure on the APAP is set so this is not a problem.

So my opinion is that these machines are the cat's meow if you need them, and I do. But the system is set up to rake off a lot of money in the process of testing and selling you the machine.

I've heard that Kaiser does testing by just sending you home with a recording pulse oximeter, which you clamp on one of your fingers overnight. It measures the oxygen level in your blood. If you have sleep apnea, it will drop below 80% saturation. That's good enough to diagnose most cases of sleep apnea, because the majority are of the obstructive type. If you have central sleep apnea, a regular CPAP machine will not help you much, but those cases are rare.

In CFS, I suspect that many cases of sleep apnea result from low carbon dioxide production by the mitochondria of the cells, due to glutathione depletion causing a partial block there.

The respiratory center in the brainstem regulates the rate and depth of breathing based on the level of carbon dioxide and the pH of the blood it receives. If your cells aren't putting out much carbon dioxide, the respiratory center will slow and shallow the breathing in an effort to raise this level.

In CFS, that can cause a person to stop breathing when they are sleeping, and eventually the oxygen level in the blood drops to the alarm point, which is what causes them to snort or gasp and start breathing again. If this is the situation, I'm not sure a CPAP machine will help, but I would like to know more about whether it would.

I suspect that in CFS one has to correct the partial methylation cycle block, which will allow glutathione to come back up to normal, and will correct the motochondrial dysfunction and raise the carbon dioxide level up to normal.

Anyway, that's my experience and my view on sleep apnea in CFS, for what they are worth.

[This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  4. jasminetee

jasminetee Member

Rich, thanks for your informative post. I think I'm ready to look into this now.

5. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

everyone, I never snored in my life until I became ill a few years ago and now I sound like a bear (am only 5' tall and 115 lbs.). I'll check into all of your suggestions and post back on what I found in case others are dealing with this as well. I also wake up with a terrible headache every morning, and it is just miserable! My poor husband can't get any sleep at all anymore, and it's my fault (I try and tell myself not to snore tonight, but that doesn't work either:) I'm going to google the APAP now and see what I can find out. Thanks again!
    [This Message was Edited on 07/27/2009]
  6. jaynesez

jaynesez New Member

question for you; do you take any sleep meds and if so, did you take them during the sleep study? Just curious-if you normally take something (like I do) would you take it for the study? I'm going to start with the stips, and work my from there. I have all the symptoms of apnea but trying to hold off on going to the dr. yet again. Thanks again for all your help everyone.