Snow Storm

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by larryh, Feb 24, 2007.

1. larryh

larryh New Member

I posted some pictures of the snow we got last night on my web site. There is about a half inch of ice under the snow and we have probably lost the one tree close to the house that I took pictures of. The ground was so wet from raining all day before the snow that it looks like it just leaned over with out breaking.

We are lucky though. There are nearly 200,00 in Iowa with now power and we are still snug and warm.

2. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Fierce pictures on your website, Larry. I am now too old and frail to ever go back to those grueling winters.

But it would be fun to be young again for just an hour and play fox and geese in the snow.
  3. natrlvr2

natrlvr2 New Member

I am in central WI and we are under a winterstorm warnign until midnight yet. It was a complete white out this morning and now at noon(almost) it has slowed.The wind is still gusting and a few small flakes but we are to get another round of it.10-16 inches.I know in my area we have around 10" so far.
  4. Lendy5

Lendy5 New Member

We never get that much snow here in NC but we had a chance to enjoy it when we went to Tennessee last week. It was beautiful and we had a great time.

Thanks for sharing those pretty pictures.

5. Seeseaisme

Seeseaisme New Member

I'm in KY, near Louisville and we have had the good fortune of having the snow just to the north of us. I don't think I'll complain about the rain, after seeing what you got.

I would be really neat to post these again on the 4th of July, when everyone will be complaining about the heat. Hope you're still safe and warm.

6. rockgor

Is there something new in the world of weather called "thunder snow"?

Go an e mail from MN that mentioned this. No such thing. I never heard of it before. Can there really be thunder and lightening during a snowfall?

I wrote back requesting more info, but never got any.

Is this more evidence of wobal glorming?

Curious in Los Angeles

7. larryh

larryh New Member

Yes there is such a thing as thunder snow. I remember it the first time when I was about 20 and was driving is a blizzard so bad I drove off the roda and had to walk the last mile home in it. When it would lightening the snow would turn orange and then the world would shake with the thunder. I don't know why or how it happenes, but it does.

8. findmind

findmind New Member

Yes, it's against the rules to post your website.

However, I truly loved your pics! you are a very good photographer.

9. alaska3355

alaska3355 New Member

I missed the snow pics and I used to be an Iowa girl.......
  10. larryh

larryh New Member

First, the snow pictures are still there.

Here is what the rules say:

Do not give websites for other chat rooms, message boards, or commercial sites. You may share websites for informational purposes only.

My web site is not comercial, is not a chat room or message board and the only reason I am posting it is for informational purposes. If the webmaster feels I am in violation of the rules and emails me saying so I will remove it, but since the post has not been removed I do not believe I have violated any rules.

11. pw7575

pw7575 New Member

Thanks for posting your photos. I love the snow. It is so pretty. It reminds me of being a kid and going out and sledding and being excited to get off school.

Rock, I too have seen the thunder snow storms. When I was in about 6th grade or so we had a huge snow storm and there was thunder and lightening with it. The first and only time I have experienced that.

It was really facinating. It is much different than a regular snow storm. The sky and everything looked different and it is very strange to hear thunder when it snows. The thunder even sounded different.

It was very eerie as someone else mentioned but was very interesting.

I am always fascinated by weather.

Take Care,
  12. rockgor

the info about "thunder snow", kids. I am really surprised. To think I grew up in Minnesota and never experienced such a thing. Never even heard of it.

If you want to see some great photos, visit Larry's website. Kinda like a visit back to my roots w/o the trouble or expense.