Snowmen in Profile

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greenbean7, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I changed my profile pic to some snowmen I carved.

Playing with sharp knives keeps me calm and keeps everyone from bothering me!

2. Redwillow

Redwillow New Member

Oh Greenbean I love your snowmen! Did you really make them?
    Please tell me how!

hugs Redwillow
  3. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I carve them from wood. I will post a picture of a Santa face I carved in a wooden egg next week.

Carving has become my passion and I would do it full time if it wasn't for this darned job!

I carve with knives but use a power carver (kind of like a Dremel tool) when my hands bother me.

Glad you liked them!

My puppy won't let me have a puppy either! Those golden retrievers are really jealous!
  4. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I love the snowmen and would buy them if I saw them at a craft table. They're adorable!!!

I almost didn't recognize you though, had to check your profile and I recognized your golden's name.

What happened to 'stop and smell the puppies'?????

Nancy B
  5. foggyfroggy

foggyfroggy Guest

Here's a brainfog moment; I thought when I went to your picture I would see snowmen in profile - like standing sideways LOL.

6. shar6710

shar6710 New Member

They are really good!

So do you sell them our just give them as gifts?

I especially like the fat one on the right, reminds me of W.C. Fields.

Stop and smell the pupppies!

7. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

your snowmen are brilliant, you're very clever with your hands.

8. carebelle

carebelle New Member

Hi greenbeen I haven't seen you on for a while.
    Your snowmen are really cute.Do you carve other things?what do you carve?
  9. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

I have been here but not posting much. Have been in a deep blue funk for quite a while and just couldn't play nice!

My mommy said if I couldn't play nice then I shouldn't play!

Same reason I left off the "puppies". Just blue and guess I wanted to keep them puppies for myself!

I have not sold any of my carvings. I do give them for gifts and am currently working on two Santas for the secret Santa exchange at work. (Won't be very secret cuz I'm the only one who carves!) And another snowman, also for SS.

The Santa's are all carved and now I just need to finish the snowman and then I will do some painting.

I also carve in cottonwood bark and I have not sold any of those either. I gave one to the local hospice for their fund raising auction and they got $100 for it. Other than that I have only given the bark carvings to people I would give a kidney to! Mom, Sister, Daughter.

I better go to work now or I won't get to go home early! No computer at home so I will be gone until Monday!

Ok, stop and smell the puppies!

PS - Gretchen you are a silly head! But you made me laugh! I should turn one sideways!
    [This Message was Edited on 11/22/2006]
  10. sisland

sisland New Member

Kool Snowmen! Looks like you put alot of work into them! They are simpley adorable!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,They look like folk art to me! I Love Folk art!,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Hope all is well and Happy Holidays,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Sydney
  11. Cromwell

Cromwell New Member

They are cute, now how about a snow lady or two? Annie
  12. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

The three in the middle are Mommy, Daddy and baby. The one with the red hat has purple trim so she looks like a Red Hat Lady.

I think the little one looks like marshmellows!

I gave one away at our annual Red Hat Christmas party last year.

Stop and smell the puppies!

13. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I'm sorry you've been in a funk lately but.......

When you sign off with 'stop and smell the puppies' it's guaranteed to make me smile.

Your carvings are so darn adorable that they work the same way too.

So just know that you touch people every single day of your life.

Happy Thanksgiving Hugs,

Nancy B
  14. rockgor

rockgor Well-Known Member

Greenbean. The one on the right reminds me of Buddy

What is a Dremel tool? Have seen that in two posts today. Must be some kind of electric knife.
  15. kriket

kriket New Member

That is pretty neat. Looks like your hands would cramp from carving.

16. hugs4evry1

hugs4evry1 New Member

I think a dremel tool is a small metal tool like a lathe but very small.

I know you can smooth out your pet's nails with a small dremel. It's like a small power tool with a grinding wheel, just very tiny.

Nancy B
  17. Smiffy

Smiffy Member

These are so sweet; you are very talented.
  18. atiledsner

atiledsner New Member

Good job!!!!!!! I always wanted to carve,don't even know where to start. I have a dremmel tool, and I just bought all the accessories for it.

I just wish there was a video that would show how to use each one in the best way....Is there one? I live in Alabama,the nearest carving teacher is in Tennessee.

Any advise to where I could learn to carve from video? You are so much in my prayers about the blue funk. May I make a suggestion?

Start a thankful list, view it every day, add to it often
  19. Greenbean7

Greenbean7 New Member

A dremel tool is like the thing they use to smooth fake finger nails at the nail salon. What I use is called a Foredom and is actuall quite different, but very hard to explain. It is a rotary tool that you can use different kinds of bits with.

I carve mostly with knives and gouges. In fact I have a wonderful new gouge shapped hole in my thumb! Just checking to see if it was sharp I guess, ok, not really.

I was holding a very small carved apple made from a one inch square piece of wood. I just needed to carve a little dimple in the bottom. I had taken my carving glove off and thought I could manage with out it for this one little cut.

Well, you know how you just know what you are doing is stupid but think you can get away with it? I didn't. Slipped and cut my thumb. Glad it was one of my mini gauges or it would have been bad. Of course, when I use the larger gouges I wear the darned glove!

Thanks again for all your comments.

Sorry I can't remember who mentioned blessings and making a list. I have a little note on my computer to enjoy "30 second blessings" and to see something and call it the highlight of my day. I say it out loud. Sometimes I have many many highlights to my days, but there is always one even if it is just being greeted at the door by my dogs when I get home!

Stop and smell the puppies!