So Bummed Out!

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by Marjidoll, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

Maybe some of you have some good and helpful suggestions.

My one and only talent is my singing voice. I love to sing.

A good friend of mine belongs to a wonderful choir, mostly adults close to my age. The director is awesome and makes allowances for those of us with health issues. We can even sit during a performance if we need to. How great is that?

Anyway, I auditioned with her last Saturday and she asked me to join her choir. I was so thrilled, finally something just for me.

I went to my first rehearsal last night, and everyone was so warm and welcoming. There are folks there with MS, fibro, cancer, many other problems and some healthy people but we all just love to sing. They sound incredible, and I am humbled to be among them.

I had to sit for two hours, with a very short break, and hold the music. I awoke today feeling like a truck hit me. Everything is flared up from my head to my toes, and my carpal tunnel, which is normally under control, is flared up again. Just from sitting and holding paper!

I won't jeopardize being in a much elevated pain state to do this, as I cannot take meds, but really want to sing.

Anyone have any advice? I am thinking of taking a special cushion with me, and stretching out my hands often during rehearsals as I can, but it's pretty intense.

2. lolee

lolee New Member

Would they let you use a sheet music stand? Bring your cushion, I say! LOL!! Anything to help!

Can you stand up and then sit down, maybe take a few steps in place if that helps with the circulation . . . .

Just a though and I may be WAY off base here . . . . I am very new at all of this, but maybe it could also be just getting used to it . . . .??? It's even hard for me to adjust to Mondays after the weekend, getting back to work. I want to take my vacation but I keep putting it off because I just know that coming BACK to work is going to kill me.

I hope these wonderful people here come up with something, in fact I'm sure they will! This sounds like it would be a very good emotional and spiritual event for you!!!

Love,

Lolee
  3. Marjidoll

Marjidoll New Member

For your warm reply. Actually we have a music stand here, it's small and light. Think I will take it next week. If they let me sit on the end.. might just work.

The music is beautiful and very uplifting. Everyone seems to have a deep faith, and it comes through when they sing.

Gonna give it at least one more go around. You could be right, it may just be getting used to something different.If I can protect my hands, I think I can live with the other stuff.
    Love ya right back,
    Margie