So excited Great new counselor

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by lenasvn, May 12, 2006.

1. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

I lost my old counselor and thought that was bad- until I met my new one. I am working on my PTSD that I had since childhood. This guy have it himself (makes a HUGE difference for those of you who know).

He had his own practice for 13 years and started as a hired counselor only because his wife's parents are sick and he wanted to be where she needed to be. He have practiced 25 years.

Not only that, he asked me about my health problems, and said quite assured that there's no doubt you have FM (still aiting for my diagnosis from a Rheumy after batteling numerous docs who said it was all in my head).

I told him -" I know I do, now I just need the diagnosis from someone with the credentials to do it".

He said docs here in the US think the diagnosis is "poo-poo" as he put it, and I said I noticed, and then said it would have taken a couple of weeks to get the diagnosis back home, not a couple of years, if ever.

I feel this guy can help me bigtime in my PTSD management, and also with my health stuff in regards to that it is NOT all in my head. Documentation, documentation, right!?

I am in other words very happy today, just wanted to share!!

[This Message was Edited on 05/12/2006]
  2. BlueSky555

BlueSky555 New Member

Congratulations lenasvn! I don't believe I'm familiar with PTSD but I'm sure I'll learn on here. This board has been great and just wanted you to know I am very happy for your good news.

Take Care!
    BlueSky555
  3. MamaR

MamaR New Member

It is good to see that you have an understanding counselor. It is nice to have a professional on our side...right?

Love, Mari
  4. lenasvn

lenasvn New Member

ThanksFight, Mari and Bluesky!

Bluesky, PTSD is short for Post traumatic Stress Disorder.
    People who experienced severe trauma,as well as ongoing abuse can end up with PTSD.

It often becomes lifelong, and the only way to handle it is to find coping skills. Some become disabled because of it. Flash backs, sometimes only physical if the traumas was early in life hit you no matter how well you're doing with everything else in your life.

My last flashback lasted me a whole 4 days, at that time you are in a fight for your own soul. I wish it upon nobody.

Mine is unfortunately lifelong, and I got new experiences added to it as I walked thru life.

It is fantastic to have a counselor with the same problem. He told me too that he need to take anti anxiety medication for life.

I am glad he found a way to deal with it- by helping others.