So Excited- Willie (cockatiel) was Found,

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by pumpkinpatch, Sep 15, 2005.

1. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Have a Great Little Story:

We left for 7 weeks for our cottage and Willie was being petset while we were away.

Anyway Willie managed to make the "Great Escape" and flew the coup! The petsitter felt so bad and printed out flyers even rewards and registered with the SPCA. We thought for sure Willie was gone forever.

Anyway 1 week later he showed up on the Petlink website picture and all. Apparently he landed on someone's shoulder miles away and they brought him into the humane society.

When we got back and picked up Willie at the petsitter I sent in a little blurp thank you note to the city paper and guess what: They phoned and wanted to do a story.

The photographer came over last night and the story is going in the city paper tomorrow. Willie posed like a pro!! We are so happy to have him back and so thankful to everyone involved.

Thought this would make someone's day

Cindy
  2. Kinsie

Kinsie New Member

I'd say the odds were slim in getting Willie back. No wonder they are doing a story about him.

I'm happy he made it back home!

Kinsie
  3. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

I just added Willie's picture. He's so colorful and loves to sing. Amazingly enough his health didn't suffer at all!!

Cindy
  4. spasco

spasco New Member

As a fellow bird lover, I am so glad you got him back! Usually the story is not quite so happy. Do you clip his wings? I know some of them can fly fairly well anyway, but it does help some. Great news!

God bless! Stephanie
  5. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

The funniest thing is we bought Willie in the coldest city in Canada Yellowknife and he's originally from Australia! He's been a real traveller.

We never thought of clipping his wings. Loves the freedom and exercise. He is very personable. Even has his own little skateboad and loves getting on and off it! He says hello, sings, whistles and when you dance he moves his head back and forth.

My son bought him with his McDonalds money and he's great company. Loves the blondes!!

Cindy
  6. sofy

sofy New Member

I just love reading these post that brighten my rainey dark day.

Its a great story and Im so glad you have your "Baby" back. Its certainly the kind of story Id enjoy seeing in my paper. Their is so much ugly stuff that we need those bright spots.
  7. ilovecats94

ilovecats94 New Member

Cindy,
    It made my day! So happy you got your pet again. That is very unusual to lose a bird like that and then find him again.

I bet Willie is happy to be back with you all too. :)

Hugs,
    Faye
  8. Rosiebud

Rosiebud New Member

Poor wee soul, must have been so scared.

Photo in the paper, he's famous now.

Rosie
  9. ckahele

ckahele New Member

when my cockatiel 'lili' escaped and flew into the tree on our patio i slept out under the tree next to her cage and her favorite treats all nite long.

come sun up she was still up there..singing away.

one of my daughter's friends climbed up and we got her!
    popped her into a pillow case and back in the house.
    what a nightmare!
    cyndy
  10. rockyjs

rockyjs Member

Cindy,

We had a cockatiel for several years named Scooter. He was an amazing little guy...loved to whistle the Andy Griffith song, play peek-a-boo and even laughed appropriately at funny things. He had quite a vocabulary for a cockatiel - more like a parrot.

He was a sound effects genious and could copy any noise from the car starting to the squeak in a door. We had a little book for toddlers with farm animals in it and he could make the sound of every animal.

We never clipped his wings because we had cats. He used to sit on the window sill and watch the flocks of birds land on our lawn. He'd yell "Birdie, Birdie!" and get so excited. I knew he wanted to fly away with them and it kind of made me sad that he was confined to a house.

One day he was on my shoulder as usual and I stepped one foot outside to put a bag of trash in the can. I had forgotten he was there and just as I stepped out a flock of birds flew over. He jumped onto the gutter just above me and kept looking back and forth between me and the birds. I stayed very calm and kept holding my finger out and calling him, but he finally had his chance.

I drove all over the neighborhood looking for him and put an ad in the paper but no response. Several days later I was driving outside of town and a flock of black birds flew over with a very bright yellow bird toward the back of the group. He was dipping and swerving with them and looked like he was having the time of his life.

I don't know if they migrated (it was fall) or how long he lived after that, but I feel certain he enjoyed his freedom. It didn't lessen our pain of losing him, but I'm glad he got to really spread his wings and fly away. Who knows, maybe he entertained them every night before bed!

Jan
  11. Mareeok

Mareeok New Member

Hi Cindy. I'm new here and am a bird lover also. I have an eclectus little girl and a little boy tiel (grandbirdie) and the thought of either of them getting out on their own is frightening. I'm soooo glad you got your little guy back safe and sound.

Maree
  12. gabdeb

gabdeb New Member

im so happy for you! im an animal lover too. never had a bird thou. we need good things to happen! hope you have many good years with your special friend.
    deb
  13. Leenerbups

Leenerbups New Member

What wonderful news! I love to hear that lost pets get reunited.
  14. fivesue

fivesue New Member

I'm glad you got your baby back! I hope you had a great vacation and are glad to be home again.

Hope your health is good...looking forward to hearing from you more often!

Sue
  15. orachel

orachel New Member

And is that him in your bio? Check out the little "preener"! He's gorgeous, and I'm so glad you got him back!

I'm sure we'd all love to see the story, if its possible to cut and past from paper online (just make sure they say its ok...dont' want you to get in trouble!). So cool that one of our groups pets is famous! LOl...Next thing you know, he'll want a private dressing room in his cage.

Rachel
  16. orachel

orachel New Member

Jan,

What a cool little twist to your story (though I'm sure you missed your buddy!). But, you know what they say...if you love someone, you've gotta set them free!

My roommate at UCLA had an african gray named Hawkeye. Now lemme tell you, that bird was an AMAZING mimic. He used to do the phone ringing, dryer "buzzing", all sorts of little sounds. But the worst thing was that he could do my roommate's voice....and I mean it sounded EXACTLY like her. And, being a bird, he used to combine phrases and things he heard all over the place. We found out after going away for the weekend that some friends had dropped by, and got REALLY mad at my roommate because when they rang doorbell, Hawkeye screamed "NOBODY'S HOME, *%*^HEAD!" in my roommates voice. I still remember literally rolling around on the floor laughing at that one. So, yeah. Birds who can mimic are great, but watch what you say around them!

Rachel
  17. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Those are the cutest little bird stories I've ever heard. Your bird soaring with the pack!!

The funny thing is I've never been an animal lover but this little guy is so funny and such a good companion. My son gets upset because Willie won't leave my side.

Thanks for all the great responses, hope I lighten someone's day a little.

Cindy

18. Alyndra

Alyndra New Member

My biggest fear in the world is that one of my feather babies is going to get out someday, and that'll be the last I see of them! It brings a smile to my face to know they can make it home again:)

There's also gotta be something with those skateboards! I have 1 cockatiel and 2 parrotlets that are my 'permanents' and they each have their own. If they didn't - it'd be all out war! Even my foster babies catch on real quick to the antics of the skateboards and get themselves right in on the action!

Give Willie a good ole' scratch on the head for me! I'm glad to know he made it back to a happy home. Alot of the birds that I take in are ones that have been found outside - and even if I do find the original owner; I find out that they let them go on purpose.
  19. pumpkinpatch

pumpkinpatch New Member

Just wanted to let you know that Willie's story is in the paper. You can check if you want:

Go to Calgary Herald website (Alberta, Canada)

Then on the left hand side

In The Herald

Click on City & Region

Then p b04

Then Click on Sitter Praised in Bird Recovery

It's a cute story with a happy ending

Cindy
  20. tonakay

tonakay New Member

thought it was so great! Here it is all:

Sitter praised in bird recovery

Theresa Tayler
    For The Calgary Herald

September 16, 2005

CREDIT: Ted Rhodes, Calgary Herald
    Lee Corriveau, 13, gets a friendly peck from his pet cockatiel Willy, recovered by the SPCA.

A little cockatiel named Willy had the flight of his life earlier this month when he flew the coop and wasn't found for nearly a week.

Louisa Powell was babysitting a friend's cockatiel in early August when she decided to take it outside for a short trip on her shoulder.

The usually tame bird got spooked by unfamiliar surroundings and suddenly took off.

"He flew right off of my shoulder, not to be seen again," said Powell. "I was convinced he was hawk or crow food."

Powell and her 13-year-old daughter Meghan were babysitting Willy for friends Cindy and Grant Corriveau. The Corriveaus and their 13-year-old son Lee were on a month-long holiday at their cabin in Ontario at the time.

"I felt so bad. I knew that bird was their baby, and it just made me ill thinking about how I'd lost him," said Powell.

She immediately registered Willy with the SPCA's PetLynx program, a Calgary Humane Society program that helps find and return lost animals to owners.

She then called the Corriveaus in Ontario, who were devastated by news of Willy's departure.

"I cried for two days, I thought, 'The poor little guy, he's going to suffer,' " said Cindy.

Powell put up posters and signs asking people to keep a lookout for the lost bird throughout the Edgemont area of northwest Calgary where he went missing. She then scoured the neighbourhood looking for the tiny lost bird.

"Let me tell you, it was very embarrassing walking up and down the ravine by myself calling out, 'Willy!' " said Powell.

She checked the Calgary Humane Society's lost pets website daily, until lo and behold a bird with similar features as Willy appeared on the site.

The cockatiel had managed to fly all the way from Edgemont to Arbour Lake, where someone found him and turned him in to the SPCA.

"He must have flown over 10 kilometres at least," said Powell.

She immediately went to the northeast Calgary Humane Society location to retrieve the lost and frightened bird.

"The bird had been gone about four days. It was stunned when we got it home, but once it settled down, he started its normal chirping," said Powell, adding she couldn't believe the cockatiel had lived through the ordeal.

Cindy said Willy the bird is back home now and appears healthy, happy and undaunted by his summer adventure.

"We're just so grateful to Louisa for not giving up on finding Willy. It really was through her persistence that Willy was found," she said.

Acts of Kindness: People - Volunteers - Good Deeds - Every Friday in the Herald

© The Calgary Herald 2005