So hard to find out cost

Discussion in 'Fibromyalgia Main Forum' started by onedaysoon, Jan 23, 2009.

1. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

Is there any way to find out how much medical test, etc. are before you actually take them?
    I have absolutely no money anymore to spend, but it has always drove me crazy not being able to know how much something is going to cost. I always have to wait and be surprised when I get the bill.

I have a high deduc. ins. plan and it is like pulling teeth to find out even an estimate of what something is going to cost ahead of time.

I have blood test my dr. wanted me to take and she told me they are expensive, but didn't know how much. ???
    Another dr. wants me to take a CT scan. I called the scan lab and they said the CT's would cost $8000. I asked how much is it for a Blue Cross patient, since they should have a blue cross member rate. They seemed confused and didn't know.

Calling BC is just as bad, they want you to get a tax ID and a diag. code and they still give you the wrong info.

I guess I am just venting... I want to get test done and I have no money :eek:(. Even if I did I can't find out how much something is before hand.

I HATE this! :(

2. 3gs

3gs New Member

there should be no reason the lab cannot tell you the cost of test. is the lab your doc uses in her office? A lab should know by the test odered w
    what it will cost.

on CT call the billing dept at hospital. they should(haha)be able to give you an idea since they bill insurance. BC is one of the hardest insurances to deal with. they also should have been able to give you an idea. call back sometimes getting a different person helps. give diag.code(should be on form from doc).

anymore your da-n if you have insurance and da-n if you don't.

good luck
  3. onedaysoon

onedaysoon New Member

They never seem to understand what I am asking. Many times they think I am asking how much it woud be under my plan terms. Why would I think the lab would know what plan I have?! It seems easy, they have special rates for BC members, what are they.

Even for a drs. appt. they never give me the right answer. They tell me an amount and the bill is usually lower. Not complaining about that, but it would be nice to know the exact price. I wanted to go to this highly recommended dr., but the price they told me was too high. I had to opt for a cheaper dr.
    I aways wondered if they would have told me the actual BC price if I could have gone to her, since it is usually lower. But, I couldn't take the chance at the price they said.

I will see about asking for billing, for the CT, see if they know anything.
    Thank you 3gs!!!

I wish I had money so it wouldn't matter :(.

Thank you!

4. Juloo

Juloo Member

Don't bet that the lab knows the cost. A lot of labs are merely collection points. My mother worked in a lab like that for decades, and I'd swear up and down that she wouldn't have been able to tell the cost of the actual tests she was ordered to do. Pricing is set by corporate.

If you must call the lab, call the headquarters. I think it is LabCorp or Quest that offers testing a la carte through their website information.

Another option would be to call you insurance company and start there.

Good luck with that. I've found it very, very difficult to determine test costs, because they vary depending on your insurance and deductibles.
  5. lea

lea Member

to ask the billing dept. of your hospital/lab billing dept. and speak to a supervisor if no one else can help you.

You can also get all the CPT codes.

good luck